Winchester Model 70 (Pre-64) The Riflemans Rifle

I was just offered a Pre-64 in 220 SWIFT, with 3 boxes of shells,I condider the gun at 90%, the price is $1100.00. I have no desire to own a SWIFT, but I am considering it as an investment. I just think the price is a little high, SWIFTS aren't that rare.

Originally Posted By: AZPredatorSlayerBayou City Boy,

Could you please tell me whats is the twist rate is on these Pre 64 guns 243 and the 308?

Thanks

The 243 Winchester is almost certainly a 10" twist.

Based on when the 308 Win was made, it most likely has a 12" twist barrel. Winchester did make a few 308's with 10" twist barrels early in production of that cartridge, but the 12" twist is by far the most prevalent. And no, there is no real huge premium that I know of if you have a 10" twist barrel.

You can easily check for yourself with a good bearing/swivel handle cleaning rod and tight patch. Pull the patch from the muzzle to the breach end of the barrel so everything stays solidly attached and screwed tight. Pushing a patch from the breach allows the patch holder to unscrew from the rod tip and you'll likely get squirrelly answers.

Mark the rod so you can tell how far it takes for the pulled rod to turn one complete turn. That distance is your twist rate.

Have you figured out yet when they were made based on serial numbers? This link might help if you haven't...

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/RS_Model70WO_200803/index.html

-BCB

I have a 1953 M70 in .30-06. It was given to me by my brother in law. My Dad gave it to him back in the '70's.

M70-4.jpg

I shot a deer with it but was not very happy with how it shot. Took the action out of the stock and was shocked at how poorly bedded it was. As you can see from this picture it only touched where the bottom of the receiver bottomed around the mag well. The recoil lug didn't touch anyplace - the rear of the magazine well served as the recoil lug.

Before-4-CRS.jpg

The finish on the metal was pretty rough as you can see in this picture:

BarreledAction-C-RS.jpg

It was beat up enough that it didn't have much collector value so I went ahead and bedded it.

ReadyforReassembly-2-C-RS.jpg

It shot a "lot" better.

30-06150gHornadyFBSP-A-C-A-RS.jpg

Then I went ahead and replaced the blued steel butt plate with a KickEEZ recoil pad and it got a lot more plesant for this 5'8" 169lb 68 year old guy to shoot. It isn't a light rifle - weighs a bit over 9 lbs with the scope - but .30-06 recoil on a blued steel butt plate was more than I wanted to put up with.

I like it just fine now. It shoots like Dad would have wanted it to and it will put a few hundred pounds of meat in the freezer before I'm done with it.

I've had the opportunity to compare the new and the old, a buddy has one of the new ones from the FN factory - a Super Grade in .30-06. If he'd trade even up, I'd trade in a heart beat. His is a nicer rifle. I agree with Chuck Hawks, the current production from the FN factory is the best ever. I'm saving up to buy one in either .270 Win or .30-06 Spr. - not because I need it but because they are nice enough that I want to own one.

All that said, it's fun when I take it to the range and someone recognizes it and comes over to look at it.

Fitch

Last edited:
Back