Best everything ammo for .223 in a 55 grain?

Zack Beam

Im looking for the best 55 grain .223 round you can buy. I hunt hogs, deer, and of course yotes. What do yall suggest? I was thinking about Hornady V-Max and someone told me they wouldnt work for deer?

I am a big fan of boat tail hollow points,,,if the jacket is thick enough,,should be about the best all around..............X

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Are you looking for one bullet for all the critters you had listed. I wouldn't be affraid to use the V-Max on anything you have listed EXCEPT deer. My buddy was using some factory varmint ammo in his sons .223 to deer hunt with. He even harvested several deer with that rifle. IMO that was not a good idea but to each their own.

If I was going to buy factory ammo for you purpose, I would get the Black Hills 60 grain partition load or the 60 grain softpoint. If you had to use only 55 grain, then get the 55 grain softpoint form Black Hills or anyone else. If you reload, then load up some 65 grain Sierra Gamekings if your rifle will stableize them and you will be good to go.

Last edited:
Yes im trying to find one bullet to do it all. I think for right now ill buy some of the V-max to hunt hogs and yotes with for now and then when it gets closer to deer season ill buy some 60 grain Partition rounds and try them out since ive herd so much good feedback for them.

My vote would go to the Remington 55gr SP that they sell everywhere in the green and yellow box. Its a good all round accurate load that I can attest to the fact that will take hogs and deer when placed in the kill zone.

Whatever you can find in BlackHills just to shoot. For hunting fedeeral 60 grain partition. Yotes and what not back to the blackhills in 50 vmax.

I like the 55 gn Nosler Ballistic tips and the 55 gn CT Ballistic Slivertips with 24.8 gn of Benchmark in my AR.

Originally Posted By: skullcreekZack, why don't you get some Partitions or Barnes Triple Shocks and shoot them out of your 22-250? That would be sweet!

Hey man I didnt even know that was you. My 22-250 has a 1-12 twist barrel so to stay on the safe side I think im going to keep it at 55 grains. Do you think I would be alright shooting some 60 grain partitions out of it? I have to go pick it up when I get back in town this weekend and my Coyote Special should be there hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

I use the Remington 55g sp for deer and hogs. My Herters has a slow twist and won't stabiize anything heavier. They will take deer and hogs cleanly, but I only take clean head and neck shots. I have taken hogs up to 400lbs with them. I like the 45gr Winchester for coyotes and they shoot 1" higher at 100yds. A 223 will do what you want if your shots are picked with care. I'm not trying to judge anyone,I'm talking from personal experience, mostly good.
Good hunting
yh57

I believe you need two different bullets if you throw Deer into the mix. The 55gr V-Max or Nosler BT for varmints and the Nosler Partition for Deer size game, In my State you can't legally hunt Big Game w/ a .22 caliber bullet.

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamIm looking for the best 55 grain .223 round you can buy. I hunt hogs, deer, and of course yotes. What do yall suggest? I was thinking about Hornady V-Max and someone told me they wouldnt work for deer?

I never had trouble with a plain old 55 grain soft point killing deer, hogs, or coyotes....Or anything else for that matter, that you would shoot with a .223.

If I were left with one choice, that would be it.

Barry

Back