Tucson, AZ hunting??

screech

Ok... Girlfreind asked me if I wanted to go visit some of her freinds in Tuscon this summer .. early July.

I told her only if I can bring my rifle and shotgun and hunt during the day while she does her thing.

I need some help here guys because I really dont feel like reading the regs right now (very long) and just want a basic run down for a non-resident hunter in the Tucson area.

What required as far as licenses ??

Firearm restrictions??

E-callers ??

Public Hunting land availability in the area??

Anything you guys can provide would be a huge help and possibly determine if Im going to spend the dough on the trip.

The non-resident three day tag is $61.25
5 rnd max magazine
ecallers are ok
there is alot of public land around Tucson
try azgfd.gov there is a non resident by mail application available as well as the address to the local office although you can buy a license at most any sporting goods store.
The down side will be the heat in july with possible afternoon thunder showers, bring your camera as Tucson has the most incredible lightning displays of anywhere in the world.

Get a registered AZ hunter to get you a visitors 2 days pass for FREE down at a the local AZG&F office. It's good for coyotes only this tiime of year (fox and bobcat season just ended). I did it the other day for an out of state friend.

$61 last a year, visitor pass is 2 day for free.

Originally Posted By: HyperwrxGet a registered AZ hunter to get you a visitors 2 days pass for FREE down at a the local AZG&F office. It's good for coyotes only this tiime of year (fox and bobcat season just ended). I did it the other day for an out of state friend.

$61 last a year, visitor pass is 2 day for free.

You are getting very wrong info here about AZ hunting licenses. A non-resident AZ hunting licenses costs $151.25 for the calendar year and $61.25 for a 3-day temporary license. If you are under 21 years old, you could get a youth combo license (hunt and fish) for $26.50 good for the calendar year.

There is no such thing as a visitors 2-day free pass. There is a 2-day Apprentice license that can be issued to novice hunters and the AZ resident who gets it for his apprentice must accompany the hunter in the field at all times. A resident hunter can only sponsor an appentice once/year. The intent of the Apprentice license is to introduce new people to hunting, not for experienced non-resident hunters to abuse the system.

You will also need a nonresident hunting license to collect/kill reptiles or hunt coyotes and rabbits which is about the only thing in season in July. The Furbearer season starts August 1st for bobcats, foxes, coons, etc. Dove season starts Sept 1st which is very popular in Tucson. If you can come later than in July, more critters will be in season. Also the heat will limit your time to hunt in July to just a few hours in the morning.

There is no night hunting in AZ (except for coons, but they will be out of season in July), no hunting from a vehicle, e-callers are OK, centerfire guns and shotguns are OK. Hope this helps and good hunting!

A good area roughly 15-30 minute drive depending on which side of Tucson your on is Las Cienegas. Slightly southeast of Tucson and is a working cattle ranch. Tons of coyotes, fox and bobcat. Also qudamundi (?sp), which if I remember correctly have a 1 bag limit per year. May be wrong and most likely am on the bag count though. Great area and easily accesible with a normal vehicle.

Thanks alot guys, I will see if I can persuade her to go a little later in the month or possibly in August as I would love to try for fox and bobcat also.

Im sure I will be able to finagle a vehicle out of her freinds and possibly take her friends boyfreind/husband out if he is game.. not sure if he would want to though as I know he is not a hunter..

This will be my first trip to the s.w. and have heard things about snakes and scorpions ... is there any type of protective gear that you guys can suggest or any type of medical gear that I should have in my pack in case of a bite??

Last edited:
Snakes and scorpions are always out there, but usually not a problem if you don't mess with them. Just get some snake boots and you'll be fine. I get a ton of patients that come in to the E.R. I work in with snakebites and the story usually goes, "well, I thought I would move it out of the way, so I reached for it".

As far as medical supplies, the best medical supply you can have is a reliable vehicle that can get you to an E.R. The practices of tourniquets and sucking the poison out, or using a scalpel to cut an incision are just myths. Get to an E.R. that is about it.

Scorpion bites just hurt like [beeep], but usually harmless. I've heard they're compared to a jellyfish sting pain wise, though i've never been stung personally. Most of the time they are non problematic, but easily treated if you develop symptoms from the sting, again though, no home remedies.

If your girlfriend has any cute single gals, Ill take ya hunting for a trade
wink.gif

I'm actually down in Sierra Vista. I've been up to UMC quite a few times on travel assignments though, so I'm quite familiar with it.

@ Rob S:

Yes, it's the Empire Ranch area just south east of Tucson. It's pretty much the Sonoita area, but extends north all the way up to I-10 I think.

Haha FirstCouse is my kind of guy !! I love that he asked about the single friends !! Lord knows I was thinking it !!

BTW Tucson is full of places to hunt, I like going over by Oracle I think the road is Willow creek? I may be wrong and probably am, if not I like taking the road to florence and making stands off the road there or another nice spot especiall over the summer months is down by patagonia or going to parker lake. Arivaca lake and that area is also a great place to call.

Firstcouse,

Hey sorry I wasn't following this post for a while, just saw it on page 1, actually she does have ALOT of cute freinds here in MI,

Her friend in Tuscon is married though and I dont know a thing about her, never met her... sorry bud
smile.gif

Tell ya what, I will definetly find out that info for ya though..

UARick,

Thanks man... all good stuff ... its nice to have all this stuff in my "toolbox" before I head out there... you guys all ROCK!!!

Back