How light of bullet for 1-14 twist 223?

Just got a new Cooper Phoenix 223 with 1-14 twist. Wondering if anyone has tried a bullet weighing less than 40 grains with any success. I don't know how many choices there are but I think Hornady makes a 35 grain. Recipes?

I'm guessing you could go as HIGH as 55 gr, and as low as you want to (or can find). YES, Hornaday makes 35 grain VMAX. I don't have any load data for you.

Funny story--when I got my Cooper 21 in 223 15 years ago, I didn't know the twist rate. Went to the range all excited after looking at that tiny test target...and....1.5" groups! I was dying. Called Cooper, and he had me walk through everything--finally we hit on bullet weight...55 gr. He suggested nothing heavier than 52 gr.

Once I figured that out, I switched to Nosler 40gr. as they were "new" then. Since then I have shot a few thousand 40gr BT's over 27.0 gr of H335. If I do my part it's a .25 moa load!

Checked my velocity, 3530 fps. It's a pretty mild load actually. It's so darn accurate and brass lasts so long I've not felt the need to push it...

Last edited:
Hornady makes 35 V-MAX's, but they are flat base bullets - I shoot them in my 22 hornet all the time now. But I really like the 40 V-MAX (boat tail bullet) in my 1 in 14 twist .222 rem. These things at about 3,300 fps out of my gun put a real smack on stuff, so out of yours at what... 3,600 or more probably, should be great! Very accurate little bullet. I have had great success with the Sierra 52 BTHP's also. Even the Speer 50gr TNT HP's I find to be an excellent hunting bullet - flat base again, but match grade type performance.

For me, IMR 4198 has been the winner in this 222 although I've experimented with BL-C(2) and less with H335. H335 is probably a great choice still for 223 and smaller bullets. You might also want to try something like Benchmark which I find to be easier to work with than the real fine dust-like powders, where I weigh all of my charges individually. Benchmark also seems to be much cleaner burning. Working really well in a 204 ruger I know and if you load 40's in a 223 you won't be too far off of that profile. Good luck.

Back