Bench shooting an AR

firstcoueswas80

In trying to shoot my AR for groups, I noticed that I can not use my normal rest becase my pistol grip hits the bottom bar.

What do you guys suggest so I can shoot for groups?

well, if you have a couple of old pair of jeans lyin around, cut-em off below the knee in different sizes as seen in the pics..
IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

Try putting a sand bag on top of the rest you have now. I have bipods on my AR's that are intended for hunting and shooting off the bench, I also use a rear bag.

IMG_0433.jpg

When I am sighting in a rifle that is mainly shot offhand I use the exact rest 17 Tactical posted.

IMG_0420.jpg

the large bags i used ziplok freezer bags with sand. the smaller ones i filled the ziploks with tumbling media so it would "give" a little more. after you fill the bags and sew the ends of the jeans, get a sewing needle and poke the bags about 10 times each to get the air out, it helps to soften it a little. i put them in one of those rollaway suitcases with wheels and the extended handle to make it easier to get to the range.

I bought a Lead Sled Solo just for sighting in my AR. It's pretty sweet. I put it on top of a portable San Angelo bench. I shoot of a bipod and rear bag sometimes too.

Originally Posted By: dk17hmrTry putting a sand bag on top of the rest you have now. I have bipods on my AR's that are intended for hunting and shooting off the bench, I also use a rear bag.

IMG_0433.jpg

When I am sighting in a rifle that is mainly shot offhand I use the exact rest 17 Tactical posted.

IMG_0420.jpg

What type of AR is that you have all camoed up?

Originally Posted By: jimmiehey skull i was in georgia last month......if you ever get up this way we'll have to go bust some varmints

Thanks for the invite Jimmie. If you come back this way let me know. I live about 45 miles from the coast, west of Savannah.

I use an early Caldwell Lead Sled for developing loads... It allows me to isolate the rifle from any human error I'm likely to induce..Due to the configuration of an AR, you may need to place a small support in the rear butt rest of the sled. I use several smaller magazines (5-9 round) to test loads..It's easier to change them and not disturb the rifle's position.

GroupTestingSetup.jpg

Notice that the sled is strapped to the bench and the rifle is then secured to the sled, just enough that when I trip the trigger, I'm not moving the rifle in any manner...

Once I'm confident of the ability of the load combination, I'll switch over to either a standard bench rest, a series of sandbags, shooting sticks, or a bipod for testing my shooting skills..

Back