Funny hunt story (long)

sleddogg

Ever have a day where you knew you were gonna have luck. Thats what happened today, and this is how it came about......

My last service call yesterday left me in a perfect place to swing through the countryside, and scope things out. I was diving through a very Rural/farmland town nearby, and saw something in a feild. I was early, about 4:00 P.M. I slowed down and saw a coyote eating the remains of an old pumpkin in a harrowed up patch. I decided right then to talk to the landowner, and drove right on up to the farmhouse.

An older Woman well into her sixties greeted me at the door. I asked her about coyote hunting, and she asked me in for tea. Alice was her name, and she told me no one had ever asked to hunt coyotes before, just deer. After a pleasant conversation, she told me where I should park, and where her property line was. She wished me luck, and hoped this would stop "some of that Howling" I'll do my best Alice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have been teaching a young man to hunt predators, but so far Tyler has yet to shoot a coyote. I called him a nice grey fox a couple of weeks ago, and he killed it clean with his 22lr. I figured this would be a good chance for him to break the ice on coyotes, so I called him and invited him. I picked him up @ 5:00 A.M. Saturday, and we almost hit a Bobcat on the way to Alices' place. That is a good sign /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We parked, and walked to a remote hayfield 150x300 yards wide. Walking was easy, as we had a beautiful full moon to go by. I set up in the left center of the field, and Tyler was down about 75 yards to my right "covering" the right side of the field. I could not see him from my position, (big mistake)as we were both tucked in the shadows pretty good. I had placed my e-caller about 70 yards in front of me, along with my Predator Supreme Tyler had borrowed. When I turned it on it seemed to be running a little slowly, but Tryler assured me it had a new battery earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif By the time I sat back down it had stopped.......

I let out my best most pitiful dying rabbit on my Pee Wee, and gave it a couple minutes. I see an animal bombing in on an old tractor road in front of me. I scope him out, and its a very big Bobcat. Its cat season in NY, but not in Ma. until Dec. 20th, so I just watched him. I hit the e-caller, and he slowly stalked the edge of the field. I see 2 more animals running in on the tractor road, get ready, as these are my 'yotes for sure!! NOPE, two more bobcats. I turn off the caller, and the biggest one walks out into the field and just sits down and watches.

I glance to my right just in time to see a big coyote comming right up the middle of the field. On his present course the coyote will pass 75 yards in front on Tyler. Perfect.

The coyote is now well within' our Range, but I hear no shot. What is he waiting for. Please shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The coyote has paused, I hit the e-caller a couple seconds, and he starts foward again. Now he is directly in front on Tyler, but still no shot. Now I'm wondering, did he fall asleep, did he forget ammo, Coyote fever???? I can't take it anymore, so I aim up the coyote and squeeze. At the shot he jumps up, falls, stands up and bolts for the woodline. Still no shot from Tyler.

I let out some bigtime Ki-yi's, and start calling on the FOXPRO again. Couple minutes later, I see a coyote pop out about 250 yards to my right. I hit the e-caller, and he starts right in. When he was about 200 yards out, I stopped the caller, still no shot from Tyler, as he was only 150 yards from the dog. I aimed at the top of the dog, and touched off the Fireball. The dog did a quick spin, and bolted about 50 yards and piled up. Nice!

I called another 15 minutes, and could not take it anymore. I got up and walked toward Tyler, half expecting to see him asleep. He was wide awake and excited. "Did you see all those cats" he asks "What you shooting at?" he says. I could scream at this point. He was so intent on the cats he forgot to HUNT! I walk him out
into the field, and show him a tuft of hair, and some guts from the first dog. I then zoom my scope to 12 power and told him to look at that hump. "nice shot" was all he says.

We look at eachother and start laughing, and the 30 years that seperate use in age melt away. At that one moment in time, we are just two coyote men exactly the same....

DSC00300.jpg

Cool story sleddogg. Alice lives where?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's a lot of cats. Too bad you didn't recover coyote #1. The pictured one is sure a dandy.

You seem to be having a great like year.

Brad

sleddogg-- Man, I really enjoyed that story. Great job!!! That is a nice looking coyote. Too bad the cat season wasn't open--maybe Tyler would have had a cat or two.

Thanks guys, yup the Bobcats are thick this year. I don't know why, but they are fun to call.

Tyler said he learned alot on Saturday, and thats what really matters most to me. He is a great kid, and he started out as an Archery student of mine. This kid is the real deal, and as Rich Cronk says "He would rather hunt than eat lunch!" This is the first "partner" I've ever had calling. Up until now I called alone 100% of the time. I still hunt alone mostly, but Tyler is the first person that ever wanted to try coyote hunting around here I've ever heard of!!!!He has some hand calls, and is starting to sound good.

He is already a great Turkey hunter, and got his first deer with a bow this year. Don't know who was happier, him or me. Heres his deer:

DSC00165.jpg

This is a good pic of him with a fox we called on a fun hunt. He dropped with a clean shot at 40 yards.

DSC00226.jpg

Don't worry we'll get him a shot on a song dog this year, and I bet he gets a stab at a cat also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back