RANGE REPORT- New Savage Predator (outta da box) 22-250

Pruson

Never even touched the Accutrigger adjustments. Each flyer on each target was on/after a cleaned barrel. My question is will this required "fouling shot" go away after barrel break-in?

Made "adjustments" to scope before shooting the last group on the right side. Wanted it an inch and half high at 100yds. Fired six rounds vice five at last target just because I had six of that load. Brass and primers looked great, no bad juju! These were number 11 thru 26 rounds fired through this rifle.

No doctoring performed on this photo! LOL

Whadda ya guys think?

N540Loads2.jpg

First Savage I've ever owned. Always Browning A Bolts, Cooper, Remingtons, a few other odds and ends. Browning first.

I have a predator hunter in a 22-50 also and its a "one-holer" too. These are great rifles. I have a Stockade thumbhole stock on order, I'm excited! I think the factory stock is too flimsy to put a bipod on.

GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I want one !!

Savage knows how to build accurate rifles, right out of the box, no tinkering. Couldn't ask for better, and the price is not bad either.

Nice going Sonny. Maybe you didn't hold your mouth right on those flyers?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I want one !!

Maybe you didn't hold your mouth right on those flyers?

LOL-- Nope, I always check my mouth before tightening up on the trigger. Teeth together-tongue in the roof of my mouth-exhale thru the nose. I am serious.

Sonny, That is awesome! I, not too long ago, got the Max1 Predator in 204 and shot remarkable after only 21 shots. Like your it proves accurate out of the box, forsure.

In Christ,

Song Dog

I doubt the first shot flyer goes away. I could be wrong, but I don’t think “barrel break-in” cures that. I'm betting it is there to stay unless you tinker with the bedding or load, and I'm not sure I'd want to do that. It isn’t off all that much anyway on the first shot, so it isn’t something dramatic to worry about in this case. The most important thing is that you know it happens; now it can be dealt with. BTW, good shooting!

I have around 300 rounds through mine and the first round through a squeaky clean bore is usually 1/2" left of the group.

Not enough to blame a missed coyote on....

I would say you hit a HOME RUN with that rifle.

Fouling shot flyers are just the cost of doing business with rifles!

Count yourself lucky that it's only one round!

That last group ... if you did not change your zero is the one to be sure and closely test.

A rising barrel group is the keeper!

This is where the load is leaving the tube at the top of the stroke instead of down in the barrel channel (less predictable).

Three 44s

I am learning alot here. Thanks for the info there Three 44's.

GC, thanks, I remember you once saying the Savage was like a fence post,LOL, but I had to try it after all the stuff I had heard about it. Most of my shots will be off sticks anyway.

Guess what! My Ruger M77 MkII 22-250 does the same thing (and thats after several hundred rds). It drove me nuts for a while and I was wondering what the heck I was doing wrong. Like the old song goes, "It ain't you!" Shoot the fouler and live with it.

I say cleaning is highly over rated. Keep the outside and moving parts oiled and call her your dirty girl, LOL. If accuracy drops off, clean it, fire it once, and go again. My 243 SPS hates a clean barrel and she takes more than 1 shot to get back to normal. The accuracy on the Savages speaks loudly. If I ever finish the projects I have going, I'd like to try one myself.

Most rifles need a couple of foulers to dirty the barrel. I usually just fire a few "foulers" and then start shooting groups. I tend to keep my Stevens and my AR fouled, Just in case!!

Like GC said, it ain't enough off poi/poa to effect much in a hunting scenario. I am liking it more all the time.

If you guys ain't got one of these, you better get one. I just ordered another one for a friend of mine.

You can do a lot to keep the first shot flyer from occurring...

Develop the load according to OCW instructions, and your flyers will really diminish. See link at bottom of my post.

Then, match the bullet to the twist rate, which should be 12 twist. That would mean that a 55 grain bullet would be perfect.

Seating depth adjustments affect barrel time, putting the bullet's exit on a more stable vibration of the muzzle. By using the right seating depth adjustment, you can get the first, cold clean bore shot (which will vary in barrel time a bit more than subsequent shots) to exit closer to the same point on the muzzle vibration as the following shots, even though bullet speed (barrel time) is slightly different.

Obsessive/compulsive barrel cleaning is also a problem. Just get the powder fouling out, and the high spots of copper... and leave a coating of Hoppes 9 in there to soften the remaining fouling and inhibit corrosion when you store the rifle. Dry patch the barrel when you go back to the field and you should have enough conditioning fouling still in the bore to make that first shot stay on the crosshairs.
smile.gif

If you try 55's and 36.5 grains of 4064, I think you'll see some really amazing results there also. Here's some stuff from my old Savage 12FV from a few years back...

22-250.jpg

22-250IMR4064.jpg

Dan

Back