How about Nikon Monarch?

HogSniper

How do the newer Nikon Monarch scopes rate these days? I'm upgrading my old Savage 12FV 22-250 groundhog rig. I just got a new HS stock, now looking to put some greater magnification scope on top. Anything else in the $500- $700 price range you guys would recommend? Want to have at least 20x mag on the top end.

Thanks,
HS

The Monarch scopes are awesome. Very high end and clear glass. They are up there around any other scope around the same price if not even the higher priced ones. Check out E-bay. They have some awesome deals from time to time.

You can get really good prices on Nikon Monarch scopes on ebay at times. You can also find good prices on Zeiss Conquest, I seen one selling on there for $800 just a couple of weeks ago.
I own a few of the Nikon Monarch and am a big fan of there scopes. The Nikon Monarch has a thinner cross hair than the Buckmaster, which I like. It also has much brighter glass for those low light conditions. My only complaint about the Nikon Monarch, and this is only with my 5-20X50 scope, is that the eye relief is not as good as I would like it to be when zoomed in on 20 power. The Zeiss and Leupold that I was shooting last week that are also 20 power scopes offered more eye relief when zoomed all the way in.
I can say that I do not have this complaint with my other Nikon Monarch scopes, only the high magnification 5-20
All in all, I would put another one on my gun without hesitation. Can't beat them for the price.

Last edited:
I can hook you up with a brand new 6-24X50 Nikon Monarch for $535 TYD,The Monarch seems to be the best value for the dollar, Bushnell Elites are good that way also. You could drop under the $400 mark with the Monarchs if 4-16X was enough magnification for you. Zeiss is a great scope also, you have a realistic budget to work with, you'll end up with something very nice no matter what you get in that price range!

The other posters are correct, these are great scopes!

Quote:"You could drop under the $400 mark with the Monarchs if 4-16X was enough magnification for you."
I could sell you a NIB Monarch 4-16X Nikoplex Reticle, Matte Finish for $365.00 shipped, if you are interested in saving some money (but losing a few Xs on the top end...).

Old No7

Originally Posted By: Old No7The other posters are correct, these are great scopes!

Quote:"You could drop under the $400 mark with the Monarchs if 4-16X was enough magnification for you."
I could sell you a NIB Monarch 4-16X Nikoplex Reticle, Matte Finish for $365.00 shipped, if you are interested in saving some money (but losing a few Xs on the top end...).

Old No7

That's a dang good price.

I bought a Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 about 2 months ago and it is ok. I do not think that the glass is as good as the VXII I had. I bought the scope because it came with the tactical turrets so I would not have to hold over when shooting out to 500 yards. but it only has 20 MOA of adjustment which is 10 MOA up and 10 MOA down. I have no idea why the came with tactical turrets because they are pretty much useless unless you do like I did and use Burris signature rings and use the offsets to boresight the scope when it was bottom out. It depends on what you are going to use the scope for but me I will probably just buy another Leupold.

Originally Posted By: daisy2007Originally Posted By: Old No7The other posters are correct, these are great scopes!

Old No7

That's a dang good price.

I got some even cheaper, they are a great value and 16X is alot of magnification!

Thanks for info. I have an old Leupold Varix2 6x18 with AO matte on it right now. I wanted something with side focus & a bit higher magnification. The 6-24x50 Monarch looks good. Trying to decide if I want to spend a little more for another Leupold.

HS

they are good scopes but I can't see having the fast focus eye piece on a hunting gun. I prefer ones that lock.

I had the 3-12 monarch SF and the image was dang near as good as my sightron big sky 3-12 that cost alot more.

I found the 2.5-10 4200 elite to be the best image of the three and it was a good price.

I would go to a guns shop and look through them and compare them with other brands also I would go to the different websits and check out the specs of the the models that you are looking at. Just to make sure that it will do what you want it to do.

I think they are very good scopes for the price. To me they are kinda "the best bang for the buck". I looked at a ton of scopes before i bought mine and it was either pony up and spend alot more for really good glass or buy a nice scope for a good price.

I only had one Monarch, I put it on a 22-250. I'm sure I'll be flamed at for this remark, but, I believe it to be clearer than my Leupold VX-III. I like the cross hairs better and it is way clearer. I paid more for my Leupold but I like the Monarch much better....

Quote:I'm sure I'll be flamed at for this remark, but, I believe it to be clearer than my Leupold VX-III.

Well, for a fact my MonarchUCC 4-12AO has better clarity than my old Vari-X II 3-9. Granted, the Leupold's 30 years old, but it's still in good shape.

Nikon makes some of the best 35mm SLR cameras/lenses in the world, so it's not all that surprising they turn out a decent scope for the price.

I have one of the older Nikon Monarch UCC 16.5x 44mm scopes (5.5-16.5 I think it is). Beautiful clear scope, probably the best of any I have including Leupold. But... the cross-hairs (duplex) are a bit thick for 300yd shots on small targets so I just moved this one over to my CZ 22 hornet. I'll be good out to 200 for sure with this gun now.

I just bought a Weaver V24 with Varmint reticle. 42mm, nice and clear, the reticle is definitely very fine(they call it "XDOT", like a combination of duplex and target dot), and the price couldn't be beat at just $315. But... this scope does seem much more parallax sensitive, which is a bit of a pain when ground-hog hunting. So look at Nikon, Leupold II or III, Sightron, Zeiss, or even Bushnell's 4200 series and I don't think you could go wrong.

Let us know what you end up with.

I just got the chance to shoot my new bdc monarch and i think the crosshairs are way to thick for varmint shooting. I gonna take it off my varmint gun and use it on a big game rifle. The glass is very clear but it just isn't gonna make the cut. Just my opinion.

Back