30-06 with 110 gr Vmax?

mdick

Anyone use this for a varmint load?
Any favorite load recipes?

I shoot model 70 and have Varget, IMR4830, 4831, H335 to use at this time.

thanks for any input.

i used some 110 grain hornady spire points with accurate arms powder and got great results 1/2 groups but i dont remember which powder it was or how much and i lost the load sticker that was in the box with them

Both the 110 V-max and 110 Sierra HP shot very tight groups in my 30-06 using a mid range load of IMR4064. I did not shoot anything other than paper with them, however.

I would stay with your med game loads like 150g-154g bullets. The 110g required a lot of scope adjustment in my 70 to work. If you are doing a lot of varmint shooting its time to add another "tool" to your armory. You probably used IMR 4820 rather than IMR 4830 as this is not listed. A lot of reloaders suggest using mag primers with H-335. IMR 4831 is a mil spec type powder which does work well in a 30-06.
Jim

Never used the 110's yet, but I have about 5 boxes of the old Speers to try out sometime. I've been using Speer 125 grainer's in my '06's, and love the results. Now, I'm shooting groundhogs with them, not coyotes, so I guess it depends what varmints you're talking about here. It messes groundhogs up real bad! I imagine you'd have a mess with coyotes too. I chose the 125's as they approximate my 165 grain deer loads better in trajectory. The 110's seem to die out quicker on drop at longer ranges, but the V-max's usually have a pretty good BC, so try 'em out and let us know how it works out. Ricochet's are a bit less of a concern with the 110's too I'd imagine. I was using Varget powder, and getting around 3/4" 3-shot groups @ 100 yards out of my Rem 760 pump - plenty good for casual hog blasting to a couple of hundred yards.

loaded up 10 rounds to start my "ladder" of finding the best accuracy. Using Varget for now.
HOpe to get out in the next day or 2 to shoot these and then narrow down the load.

I just started using these in one of my Savage's with Varget and I mean to tell you that these things shoot like little lazer beams. I have shot one ground hog with them so far and to say that they are explosive is an understatement.
I am pushing them over 3000fps with 54.2gr of Varget and Winchester primers. In this rifle a three shot group will have them just about touching each other but when shooting five shot groups the 4th and 5th shots open up a litte bit probably because of the heat factor but still under moa @ 100yds.

Well, I loaded Varget @ 53.0, 53.5, 54.0, 54.5, 55.0, 55.5, 56.0, 56.5, (57.0, 57.5) and shot the first 8. I stopped there as they were all stringing horizontally within 2.5 inches (I'm guessing due to the 10-25 mph left to right wind) and ALL were within .75" vertically! This was at only 120 yards, so if I did this at 200 or more I don't know how much vertical stringing I would get.
I went home & loaded a few more at 56.0 and will shoot those later today after work. I figured since the loads from 53.0 to 57 were not stringing vertically at all, I can probably just pick a load and go with it. Hope I'm right.
Don't remember COAL at this time, but will let you guys know how my next group looks (post pictures if I can).
REcoil seems to be pretty comparable to hunting loads with my 168 grain load.

Back