CZ vs. Browning T-Bolt

HOGGHEAD

I am going to buy a new left handed 17 HMR. I have narrowed it down to two rifles. The CZ American and the Browning T-Bolt. I am interested in your opinions. I can not handle either one, so I have to order it in the dark.

A friend of mine invited me on a PD hunt next year. And I am hoping my leg will be in a condition where I can go. He highly recommended I bring a magnum rimfire with me. The rifle will also be used for some ground hog hunting as a truck gun, and a gun to be mounted on my Kawasaki Mule. Thanks, Tom.

I'm not nuts about the .17 HMR for hunting P-Dogs on windy days, but it certainly has it's fans. I traded off my .17 HMR for a .223 for just that reason. I also saw way too many wounded dogs run down the hole after being hit.

The CZ being $200 cheaper and just as accurate, would influence me to some degree. The straight line pull of the T-bolt is one of those things that you like or you don't. I'd probably go with the CZ, all things considered.

Tom, I can't add too much as I don't own either gun but a gun store where I frequent has the Browning T-Bolt. The first time I played with it it seemed kind of gimmicky but upon subsequent trips I am kind of getting used to it. Still not sure I'd get it over the traditional bolt gun but you never know after a few more trips. Oh, as usual I've heard good things about the CZ rimfire. Good luck, Dave

I have shot and owned both and recommend the CZ over the Browning. They are both nice guns but the CZ is still a better shooter then the t-bolt and is considerably cheaper. Action is a little rough on the start with most cz's spend a night or 2 watching tv working the bolt back and forth it will smooth out quick. Just my thoughts on the 2 and my recommendation comes easy after having both of them in the past.

action on every cz is not rough. My lux was slick as snot right out the box. my 527 got better after it was used.

The cz are awesome!

Go over to rimfirecentral.com there are a bunch of guys over there who can help you.

I kind of agree you might aswell step up into a small CF like .223 instead of the magnum rimfire rounds. Read up on the 17HM2 also. Its real cheap to shoot so good for high volume its only 400 fps slower then the hmr so it still shoots flat etc.

I have not had a Browning but I did have a Brno straight pull which is the same principle, I disliked the bolt sticking straight out, it took up more room in the safe and was prone to snagging on things. If you reload you might consider a CZ in 22 Hornet, after the initial investment in brass you can shoot it cheaper than a 17 HMR.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI am going to buy a new left handed 17 HMR. I have narrowed it down to two rifles. The CZ American and the Browning T-Bolt. I am interested in your opinions. I can not handle either one, so I have to order it in the dark.

The CZ is the best value in the rimfire market today. Get that American and don't look back. When you get ready to price and buy give these two guys a call and see what they can do for you (you should get a better price than shown on the web... make the call):

http://www.steelefirearms.com/Products.aspx

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

I have a CZ 452 American in .17hmr and .22lr. I love them. I'm going to have many more CZ's before it's all over.

Originally Posted By: Elkyri The CZ is the best value in the rimfire market today.

I agree, but the prices have really gone up over the last couple years. There are several reasons why.

CZ all the way, my 17hmr 527 shot a 1 inch group @ 100yds. with a 10 mph cross wind. The group was all horizontal, without the wind I think it's possible of 1/2 in. Every CZ I have owned shot real well.

OK, here for the other side, I have a T-Bolt 22LR in the Target/Varmint version.

PICT0780.jpg

It has a Weaver T-10 scope on it now. Not the scope in the photo.

It is incredibly accurate and I rate it as better than most any 22LR I have ever owned.

I've no experience with Browning's but I have a CZ American 527 in .223.Like most CZ's it's a great shooter.I would love to have a 452 FS as well.

Not a fan of CZ here but they do shoot well and are not 50% plastic like the NEW T-bolts. It's preference, but I just dont like plastic guns...at least not an expensive rifle.

I have owned several Browning & CZ rifles all Brownings have been sold and still have CZs but wouldnt wast money on 17hmr go with somthing like 22 hornet or 223.

Back