JP tension pin

Nothing really to "use" with an accu wedge. Throw it in and forget about it. Earplug works too. If the little bit of jiggle between the upper and lower doesn't bother you, do nothing.

The accu wedge is damaging over time ,so is a earplug.Spreading the upper and lower apart is not my I idea of fixing the problem.The JP pin is supossed to lock the two together causing no damage or altering in the pin holes.Yes the rattling bothers me even though it has little or no effect on the rifle.

Ultramag, I certainly didn't mean to come across as condescending. How is it damaging over time? Both products get rave reviews if you do a web search. I'm just saying that the wedge will take up the slack and save you 30 bucks in the process. I used the earplug trick for quite a while until my neighbor gave me a wedge so thats what I use now. Plus, I don't need a little allen wrench every time I want to break the rifle down. Someone would have to be quite a salesman to convince me that a 10 cent earplug would damage my rifle sitting behind the takedown pin. I can see how you are thinking about it "separating" the upper/lower but it is so slight that I can still easily engage my rear takedown pin. DPMS and Bushmaster both sell them so they can't be that bad.

Yes alot of compainies sell them,I think they come installed in colt rifles.I'm no expert on the subject but I guess they can cause elongating of the pin holes and misalignment problems.I'd rather spend $35 for a pin than $5 for something they may or may not cause damage.

If a few inch pounds of pressure on the upper elongates two lower holes and the upper hole, then I think you've got more problems than using an accuwedge.

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70If a few inch pounds of pressure on the upper elongates two lower holes and the upper hole, then I think you've got more problems than using an accuwedge.

Just out of curiosity,how did you measure "a few inch pounds"?

You will always get much more pin wear, enlarged holes, elongated holes, ETC from things being loose and ALLOWED to move around than you ever will from things that are snug and tight and not allowed move around in the first place. This applies to most anything.

A wedge, foam ear plug, O ring or other in an AR is not going to hurt it. It can only help. That is unless you gotta beat the pin in with a 4 pound hammer. That might be a bit overkill.

Tension pin works too. Use it if that's what you feel is best for you.

Originally Posted By: ultramagOriginally Posted By: jlindholm70If a few inch pounds of pressure on the upper elongates two lower holes and the upper hole, then I think you've got more problems than using an accuwedge.

Just out of curiosity,how did you measure "a few inch pounds"?

Well, after using a myriad of torque devices over the last 20+ years of aircraft maintenance, you get a "feel" for a few inch pounds. I could torque a radome closed with a ratchet, then check with a torque wrench and would be within a "few inch pounds" every time. We had some inch ounce torques too, now those were really tough to get close without over-torqueing.

But if you really thing an accuwedge will ruin your rifle, then get whatever gimmick you want. And yes, I think an accuwedge is a gimmick too.

I use the accu-wedge AND the JP tension pin in my colt. And that baby is solid! Over the last 5 yrs have noticed no damage or problems with either.

I have only the wedge in my R-15 and honestly its just not as solid as the colt and i dont like the "play".
But since i use a sling stud in that hole I cant use the JP pin!

Just my 2 cents.

I hear ya,I've lost count of the number of pump shotguns through my hands over the years due to rattling.I cant tolerate any in my AR's,I think it may be a complex....
tongue_smilie.gif

Back