Red fox decoy and FoxPro Score One Today!!!

Silverfox

Silverfox and Howler did some coyote calling in Eastern Montana Thursday. We struck out on our first stand. The wind was out of the east at this time so we drove in on the east side of the country road to where we had scored a double last winter. This time Silverfox did the calling and Howler was guarding the back door. The red fox decoy (this is the decoy so many of you made fun of—shame on you!!!) was set up to the north of Silverfox’s position with the decoy facing south and the FoxPro was set right under the fox’s nose facing into the wind. Silverfox set up in the shadow of a big hill about 75 yards to the SSW of the FoxPro and red fox decoy as you can see in the photo below.

Coyote_Red_Fox_decoy_behindrifle-wideview--3.jpg

The FoxPro was started and was playing the rabbit distress blues for about 3 minutes on low volume before being muted for a minute. The sound was changed to the interrogation howls on medium volume for about 45 seconds, then switched to the female invitation for about 30 seconds and then muted for about 2 minutes. Then Silverfox took out his Robert Cobb howler and the Bill Austin howler and played some interrogation sounds on them, trying to sound like a couple of lonesome coyotes. Then he turned on the dying rabbit blues again.

At about the 11 minute mark Mr. Coyote came into view from around a little rise to the NW. Silverfox muted the FoxPro and got the crosshairs on the coyote. The coyote had his neck craned to the right looking at the red fox decoy. Silverfox turned up the power on the scope to about 14x, and waited for the coyote to stop. Mr. Coyote did just that and received a 35 gr. Berger FB HP bullet right in front of his right front shoulder at approximately 11 minutes 45 seconds into the stand. He went down in a heap, but turned his head around and bit his right front foot. He died with his foot in his mouth. Tiny entrance wound and no exit.

Silverfox used the Bill Austin howler to do some wounded coyote ki-yis and turned on the FoxPro to the dying rabbit sound again in case this coyote’s partner was around. The stand was ended at about the 25 minute mark.

Of course, we have to have one photo for the FoxPro contest, so here is the caller/shooter, the Fabulous Red Fox Decoy, the coyote with the FoxPro on his shoulder, and the Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. The 35 gr. Berger bullet did the job just fine.

Silverfox_Redfox_coyote_FoxPro_rifle.jpg

This was a very nice, older male coyote. His teeth showed some pretty healthy wear, but he was in prime shape. He wound up a mere 20 steps from the Brave, Beautiful, Very Authentic Looking Red Fox Decoy!!!

Red-Fox-Decoy-Coyote_FoxPro--text--small.jpg

Howler and Silverfox loaded up the coyote and headed out for the next calling stand. As we were driving in to the next calling location, Howler spotted three coyotes out in some mixed stubble and summerfallow strips. They were headed north away from where we had planned on calling. We figured they were the coyotes from this territory so we decided to try to get around to the north of them and call them in. We spent the next two hours calling in two locations trying to get these coyotes to come in with no success.

We called in three more places with no takers. However, on the last stand of the day, Howler had some coyotes talking to him to the SSE of where we were set up. We couldn’t see where they were at and they didn’t seem like they wanted to come any closer. They just stayed their distance and howled. These were not warning bark howls and one of the coyotes was issuing challenge howls, but they wouldn’t come investigate us.

We were a little disappointed that we had only called in one coyote, but the warm weather, deer season gut piles, and lack of snow cover have probably made it real easy for coyotes to keep their bellies full.

Nice job and great recounting of the hunt there Silverfox. You can't argue with success can you. That poor coyotes dying thought must have been, "what the hell is THAT"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great job LEROY i must say that is quite possibly the most LIFELIKE, REALISTIC FOX DECOY I've ever seen. Leave a few out there for when i come out in January.

Great job Leroy,
I just wish I could get out there sometime. I went out tonight for fox, but did not call anything in. Had light trouble. Have to get another scanning light. The one I have just uses up too much juice. It lasted about 15 or 20 min. The one on my rifle lasts a long time.
See ya buddy, Pete

Excellent story Silverfox.

I felt like I was there with you. You take the photos of any of the posts.

BTW. I need your address.

Thanks...Tony

That was a great story as usual, and a great looking decoy. I like the feather hanging out of it's mouth. very realistic. Good job again, very creative.

Thank you one and all for the nice comments.

Tommy Johnson-- Cold???? Who ever in the world told you that it gets cold up here in the North Country??? It was 17º when Howler and I met to start our hunting safari. It got up to the low to middle 40s before the end of the day though!

Songdogslayer-- I hung the coyote up outside last night to let it cool down naturally. This morning I went out, took it into the garage and hung it up on the scale and it weighed 35 pounds. It lost a little bodily fluid, emptied its bowels after it was shot, and bled a little from the mouth, so I'm sure it would have been around 36 pounds or so had we weighed it in the field. Of course we'll have to subtract 35 gr. for the weight of the bullet I put inside the hide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Let's see, what is that? 1/200 of a pound of lead and copper--Awww, let's just call the coyote 36 pounds when fresh.

[Edited for spelling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ]

What a great story Silverfox It was like I was there with you, and what a great photo of you and the Ardi fox with your coyote, you must have had a professional photograher with you.

ardi fox comes from the comment he looked like an ardvark so we named him ardi fox

Silverfox, great pics and story. Sounds like you and Steve had a fun day. Your decoy seemed realistic to my co-workers today. I brought your post up at lunch and told them that the decoy was a live redfox that you were getting ready to shoot. None questioned it...till I scrolled down of course. LOL! Sure looks real from a short distance.

Good hunting.

Yep, Howler, it was almost like you were there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wait a minute Howler--you were there. At least you were about 200 yards WSW of me over the ridge and out of view. Too bad you didn't see the action. Too bad we didn't have Steve with us running his video camera!! It would have been classic footage. Thanks for a great outing. I had a GREAT time even though we only bagged one coyote. I enjoyed the whole day with you. You will have to slow down for those huge holes in the road or they'll soon have your pickup broken in several pieces.

Did you get the back of your pickup aired out or does is still smell sweet from that rank old dog??? My freezer will need a deodorization regimin when I get that fellow out of there--PEEEEUUUUUUUWWWWWW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

aahh the sweet smell of success, When I got home I let my Lab out and he really wanted to know who was in the back of the pick-up, he smelled a stranger

Good job guys, sounds like you fooled a call shy yote to me......That decoy looks pretty real in the picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like that area may be getting called a little by others.......

Great story and pics! Keep us up to date on the performance of that fine Savage .204! Things will be starting to heat up soon and I can't wait to read about it. Ryan

Silverfox,My grandmother told me to always make my words soft and sweet, cause someday I may have to eat them. :eek:

Obviously I was wrong about your fox decoy. I am truly sorry for the remarks I made about it. Yeah that's it...truly sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope you can find it in your heart to at least forgive if not forget my indiscretion and indelicate manner. I don't know what came over me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think it was really Rich Cronk and the rest of the "Over the hill" gang that should be chastised for leading my poor, poor, young, impressionable mind down that steep slippery slope of disrespect for my elders. Mike Granger is probably culpable as well, somehow.You are after all much older......and of course wiser than I.

Well enough of that. Good job buddy, excellent story and photos as usual. You certainly do set the standard for that sort of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good going Silverfox. Nothing like making a frog eat crow.

Did the redfox make the Silverfox narrate in 3rd person? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back