.243 needed eye relief to avoid getting smacked?

TripleDeuce660

I'm wondering how much eye relief you folks think you need on a very lightweight .243 to avoid getting smacked. The gun should weigh about 7lbs with scope and everything.

The scope i'm looking at is 3.8" on low power that should be good. However its only 3.0" on high power. Is that going to be enough or do you guys think i'll get whacked in the face? How about shooting free recoil off of bags when siteing in?

A .243 with the scope set properly to provide your eye relief should not "smack" you at all. Very low recoiling round.

i guess it depends. i wouldnt worry about me shooting it but my wife might have to worry. i guess you need to gauge how well you handle recoil. (some of my buddies wives wouldn't have anything to worry about it would take a 50 BMG to budge them)

They kick a little less than a 30-30. I had a single shot 243 and the scope had 3.8" eye relief and it was fine. Good hunting!

If you sight in a lightweight rifle and let it free recoil off the bags it may not have the same point of impact in a hunting situation where you would be holding the rifle tight to your shoulder.

Both of my lightweight rifles will shoot a good 2" higher at 100 yards off shooting sticks compared to where they impact off sandbags.

Back