scent cover or eliminator?

jwcw13

Is a scent cover a must or could I just use the scent killer spray that I use for deer huntin. Has anyone ever tried a scent killer? Does it work as well as a cover like skunk musk?

I dont use either . I did when i first started calling , and to be honest , have had just as much or more success without it . the important thing is set up so you can see them before they can smell you !!!! i have been winded at incredible distances, and under those conditions , i dont think anything would have helped . NO I DIDNT STINK !!!!! Later Jerry .

Same here. I used to pack skunk scent religiously. Can't remember the last time I used it. Impossible to cover your own scent in my opinion.

Later, Curt

I use it most of the time. I don't know if it helps. Sometimes I forget it and have good luck also. If I have bad luck I blame it on not wearing cover scent.
wink.gif
(gotta blame it on something... right?)

One thing I know for sure is this... it sure won't hurt your chances at all!

I know that Jerry and Curt don't wear it because I can smell them all the way from Washington... and I live in Minnesota.
biggrin.gif
All I have to do is step outside and smell the air, then I start to wonder if Curt and Jerry are having any luck.
biggrin.gif
LOL!
(Just messin with you guys)

I say use it if you want to, it might help. But it sure won't hurt your sucess.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

I tried skunk scent for a while about 20 years ago. Don't think it helped any cause I still never had any coyotes come in from where they could smell me.

Got some on my boot one time. Made for an interesting day in school...

Ryan you don't know how close to the truth you are. I was so "odoriferous" after a few of these warm weather stands, it wouldn't surprise me if you did get a whiff of me up your way! Ha Ha!
smile.gif

I've been experimenting with a new cover scent. I call it "asparagus piss stench". You just eat asparagus about an hour before you go calling and your own urine smells similar to watered down skunk scent. Good 12 hours worth. Hose down each stand liberally. LOL

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 07-10-2001).]

And i thought i was the only one that asparagus made my piss smell . hey Curt i have been useing that for a long time . Dont giva away all our secrets . cats out of the bag now i guess ill have to go to the Halapino piss now . Should work real good around here .

It always stings when I pee Ryan. Seems like it started when I was overseas now that I think about it. I'm pretty used to it now. Just thought that was normal... heh heh
smile.gif

jwcw13, you have to pardon us, we tend to drift off into the wind once in a while. I agree with the others. I think skunk screen can have a value in stopping coyotes or directing their approach but I do not believe you can fool their nose. Think about this, drug dogs can smell cocaine in a shipment of fish.

Curt, that must have been you I smelled in that last NW wind! Peeeeuuuuuu! Lighten up on the spices and aspargus dude! Wiley E

Thanks for yalls help you don't know how much I appreciate it. I have learned more in the last three days about predator hunting than I have by reading in the last three years, but I'll still keep reading and definatley keep posting.

thanks a million
Jessie

I use to use fox pee but changed over to earth scent. To me fox urine is stronger when it is still in the bottle however the strong smells seems to disapate very quickly. The earth scent last longer and one other thing when using fox urine, it created a green mold on my hunting clothes but the earth scent did not.

I do try to keep my scent to a minimum if possible. Like not gassing my vehicle up the morning I go hunting and keeping my hunting clothes clean and as odor free as possible. I don't use any cover scent. I just try to keep the wind in my favor and set up where a predator will show itself before it can wind me.

------------------

What, we drifted off the subject again? How the heck that happen? Wasn't the topic "why does my urine smell like a skunk?" LOL
smile.gif

You know me Wiley, always doing my part to keep the down-winders happy. Heck, I might even shower today... heh heh
smile.gif

Seriously though...
More good advice given by these guys. After reading Lonnys post, that is pretty much the same efforts I put into scent management.

Take care all, Curt

Back