Hunting Over the Summer Months?

UARick

So I know alot of people like to give the coyotes a break over the summer months, but for those that choose to not give them a rest......what is the best way to hunt/call them in? What time of day? I am in AZ so night hunts are not an option.

Reason I want to hunt them is because they are serious problem when it comes to ruining food crops for human consumption. Food inspectors see coyote scat in a field and the whole plot gets quarantined.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When I'm hunting problem coyotes during the summer I hunt mid day from 10 to 2 as near as I can get to water sources or anything that gives the coyotes relief from the heat.

Glenn, you are tougher than I am. I can't take the heat. I'm more inclined to go the route Tony takes in the early morning. One other thing I do is go hunt them in the mountains as it's usually cooler up there.
Example from last summer.
CoyoteMntDouble.jpg

Originally Posted By: UARick Food inspectors see coyote scat in a field and the whole plot gets quarantined.

You gotta be kiddin me?

What about rabbits that wander through and makes a few deposits? Or mice, rats, or birds that fly over and paints the plot? Domestic dogs and cats? The list is endless.

You gotta be kidding me. Right?

Rick,

I agree with Tony regarding hunting in the morning before it gets hot, but as Glen said - around water and shade. This because that is where most of the wild life will come to drink and I have had the best successes with calling coyotes around these areas.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: UARick... but for those that choose to not give them a rest......what is the best way to hunt/call them in?

Well... when I hunt them in the winter, I'm after the fur and the sport of it. If I hunt them in the summer, I'm out to kill them. Therefore, what I do is just cruise around on my ATV (I'm checking cattle and fences anyway) until I spot one. Then I run him down. Or I carry my rifle in the truck and shoot 'em. I rarely call during the summer as it takes too much time and effort.

If I was going to hunt them in the summer and if I was going to do it by calling, then I'd just call whenever I wanted to. I see them all day long and if you position yourself well, a coyote napping in a nearby draw is going to get up and come for a look-see.

Nope not kidding at all !! Food inspectors will shut a field down if they find scat in the crops. Remember the baby leaf spinich e-coli scare a couple of years ago? Well since then,they have been cracking down on Food safety issues. Over all its for our own good and some of the farmers I am friends with pay me to hunt them so it works out all the way around !!

Hey huntinzona, you are in Tucson huh? I lived up there for a few years now im back home in Yuma for a few months and then off to Phx for law school in august. I like to run down to patagonia and sasabe areas to hunt the yotes in the summer when im in Tucson. We should hook up and hunt sometime! I still have a house I own up there in Tucson!! Thanks for the advice guys.

Oh and btw, hunting in the middle of the day during a Yuma,AZ summer is not a good idea! 100 degrees by 10 a.m. is not fun !! I wish I lived in some of the places you guys live over the summer! But the winters here sure are nice !

it runs about 100 to 110 heat with high humidity in Texas as well. Yes it's a scorcher but stand time is short! You can slip in close to those "cool" spots and they come quick. I do it every year.

Bait them in:

Use watermelon ....... either place some or plant some.

Coyotes are CRAZY for it.

A few years ago, before I switched to shooting golf balls I used wild apples at my "lead bank".

When we would drive by the next morning my dogs would go NUTS and check out the area. I thought they wanted the apples.

But in fact, they were checking the coyote activity around the blast zone.

The coyotes would flock in for the apple pieces and the GUN FIRE was their que! A late season skiff of snow uncorked the truth.

On another Lead Bank session a coyote was a short distance back in the nearby brush and YAPPING it's head off! It seemed to me that it wanted it apple snacks now ..... RIGHT NOW!

So, if it were me ..... I'd get out some water melon pieces and shoot'em up ..... for a while it will seem foolish but the payoff is this: You'll tune those 'otes into a dinner bell of your chosing as to time and place! And in my experience, it won't take very long.

Now, is that crazy?

Three 44s

Last edited:
UA Rick,
Welcome to Predator Masters!
thumbup.gif

I hunt during first and last light and during the mid-day hours, IF it's overcast.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

thanks for the welcome, I have been on the forum checking things out and reading for some time now. Now if the wind ever dies down around here I will be trying to get after them coyotes!

Originally Posted By: UARickReason I want to hunt them is because they are serious problem when it comes to ruining food crops for human consumption. Food inspectors see coyote scat in a field and the whole plot gets quarantined.

Thats a new one on me. Guess they need to quarantine the whole midwest. Not raggin' on ya. just never heard that before.

I have a buddy that was down there this winter working on some large corprate outfit. He said they had guys that would shoot everything on sight, that was there job. He said the same thing about the inspectors.

Its a fact BMoe, as funny as it sounds its true. Like I said it works out for me since I end up getting paid to do something I enjoy. Farming in AZ is a bit different than it is in the midwest. Either way, I hope to get after some during the summer for a change.

Back