Any Advice On Which Savage Rifle???

VanderLaan

Savage offers hunting safety instructors a major discount on any of their guns.
thumbup.gif
The problem is that they have too many of them. Any suggestions as to which models I should consider? I would like to get a good gun for coyotes that will shoot well, but not break the bank. For what it is worth, this will be my first coyote gun. I am thinking .223 and would not mind a recommendation for a good scope too.

Thanks in advance-

Howdy, and welcome! (from one new poster to the other!)

I'm using a nice .204 now but am half-heartedly shopping for a .223. I really like what I see in the Savage Model 11 and the Model 16; both with accu-trigger and the new accu-stock. Same rifle, pretty much, but the Model 16 is stainless. My preference is for a removable box magazine. They also offer those rifles with blind box and hinged floor plate magazines, if that is your preference.

Some guys like lots of mag in their scopes. I use a 3-9x Burris Fullfield II and most often have it dialed down to 3x.

Agree on the Savage Predator or maybe look at the Stevens and mount you a nice Nikon or Burris. Maybe look at a Redfield.

I love savage rifles. My go to calling gun is the Model 10 Predator in Mossy Oak Brush. The thing shoots amazing. Mine is 22-250, but a .223 would serve you just fine also. I bought mine a year ago for $600.

For what you are looking for the Savage Model 10 Predator is an amazing gun. I have one in .223 and it shoots as good as you can shoot it. I have a few 22-250's and that is why I opted for the .223 If I didn't have either I would have went with the 22-250, I love the 22-250 and think it is the ultimate predator cartridge.

take a look at the Law Enforcement Model 10 FCP-K. It has a lot of features for a great price. You may want to check out vortex optics. they have good quality and great prices.

I have a 11fhns in 243 with the nikon buckmaster in 3-9. I really like that outfit. I wanted something I could use for deer as well.

Savage huh??? Naw I'm just playing... I'm not a big fan of Savage and I don't think I would ever own one, but that's me and my .02 cents... I just don't like the accu trigger and they are just a ugly gun. I know you can get a base Savage w/out the accu trigger which I never had the pleasure to handle and to see if I would like it or not... If you don't wanna hurt your wallet too much, I would look into Howa or CZ or whatever floats your boat. But if your stuck on Savage get a Savage. Good luck and good hunting!

I looked at a model 10 predator. Then stumbled across a model 10 percision carbine. Has the acu stock and trigger 20 inch bull barrel, digital camo. Never thought i would like a short barrel, but i love it. Great patterns and easy to get a round.

I personally would get the Stevens 200 in 223 and paint it up myself. This will give you another $250-$300 to put towards glass and ammo. If you like the short barrel of the Precision Carbine, a gunsmith can shorten the barrel for about $40.

001.jpg

Originally Posted By: VanderLaanSavage offers hunting safety instructors a major discount on any of their guns.
thumbup.gif
The problem is that they have too many of them. Any suggestions as to which models I should consider? I would like to get a good gun for coyotes that will shoot well, but not break the bank. For what it is worth, this will be my first coyote gun. I am thinking .223 and would not mind a recommendation for a good scope too.

Thanks in advance-

This is what I did to my old savage 30-06.
009.jpg

If I were you and stuck on savage. I'd pick up at least a 22-250, or 243. A 223 will take care of all the coyotes out there, but later you might want to swap a barrel. Then you'd have to change bolts. If you go with a 243, etc.... just add barrel. Anyways, thats just my .02. Have fun and post pics after you get it.

For me it'd be a bit of a toss up. I have the model 10 predator in 22-250 and also their model 16 fhss in .243 (also available in .223 and 22-250). I like the camo finish on the predator hunter, but prefer the weitht and balance of the model 16. As far as I can tell really no difference in accuracy, as both shoot under moa.

Originally Posted By: OrphanedcowboyThe Predator is hard to beat, it has the same barrel contour as the 12FV and detachable box mag

Actually, the barrel contour is between a sporter and varmint weight. It's probably best described as a magnum or light varmint contour.

Originally Posted By: BrentWinOriginally Posted By: OrphanedcowboyThe Predator is hard to beat, it has the same barrel contour as the 12FV and detachable box mag

Actually, the barrel contour is between a sporter and varmint weight. It's probably best described as a magnum or light varmint contour.

I actually have both and they are the same

Where abouts are you in Illinois?
I just bought another Savage, the 10 Pred. Max1, I WILL have another before too long if I can
thumbup.gif

I have had the reg predator but now the Pred Max1, I am in love with it.
When I got done shooting this, that gun had a total of 21 rounds through it.
100_2023.jpg

In Christ,

Song Dog

People may bag on them but I've never fired a Savage rifle that didn't shoot well. To me, let them say what they will-ugly gun-who gives a [beeep]!? It's a tool- and it does it's job well. BTW-some of thier rifles are nice looking to IMHO.
theres my 2 cents-
Chris

Back