Which Nikon Buckmaster?

Str8Shooter

I'm looking into purchasing a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 or 4-12x50 for my .204 Ruger. The gun will be used for shooting prairie dogs and night hunting for coyotes. I just can't decide which one to get. I'm thinking that 2x difference on the high end shouldn't matter much if I decide to go with the 50mm?

I have a 4.5-14 x 40 on my 204 that I use for PD shooting and it works pretty well. I can see well enough to shoot 400 yrds with it.

I have a 6-18 Buckmaster with a Target Dot reticle. I reccommend a fine plex or standard plex. The dot covers the ground squirrels at longer distances. Good Luck.

I have one of those with the mil-dot reticle that's great for PD shooting. The main reason i love it is because the mil-dot is cald. for a power lower than the highest so at 18x the dot is smaller at 1/2" instead of the mil std. 3/4ths.

6-18X SF w/NikoPlex on three(3) of my rifles. Couple of friends who are precision shooters bought the target dot and found subtended too much of target/PD for their taste..they still shoot very well.

Don't use 18X much when heat/mirage start working in a dog town but probably more my old eyes at work. I have a couple of large objective non-Nikon scopes on other rifles and find the 40's work as well for me, YMMV.

Back