Gray Fox Fun

6mm06

A few days ago, I saw two gray fox on an old road on the family farm and figured they are mating and probably denning nearby. I decided to go back today for a bit of calling for the main purpose of getting some video footage. Season is out here now so this evening was for video fun.

Within seconds of Johnny Stewart Gray Fox Pup playing, a female showed up. I had a Predator Enticer decoy going round and round and it had that fox in a tizzy.

The fox lingered for quite a while, dashing in and out, biting at the decoy, then it would leave and I would call it back. I got some good footage, although it was getting late and the camera doesn't do so well in fading light.

The photos were extracted from video footage and aren't real good. It was an enjoyable evening nonetheless. Hopefully next winter they will still be there and maybe I'll get some good shooting and video.

The distance was over 100 yards from my position.

Grayfox2.jpg

Grayfox4.jpg

Grayfox3.jpg

Grayfox1-1.jpg

View from my position
GrayFox.jpg

Those foxes will be in that spot again and again and they'll come to that Johnny Stewart sound like a dinner bell. I use that sound to call 90% of all my grey foxes.

Put that footage up.

Hyperwrx,

I'd like to put the footage up so it can be seen, but not quite sure how to do that, plus it's in high definition so will probably take up a lot of space. Any advice how to do that? I've got the footage edited on DVD.

It was definitely an enjoyable evening. Just a good example that it's not all about shooting (with a gun, that is.) Shooting with a camera is a barrel of fun too.

Dave,

It's always a pleasure to see your clips too. I was on Hunting Footage this evening and saw one of your video clips. You do a fine job of filming those fox.

6mm06 I hear that those little buggers are more feline than canine, is this true? Colorado just allowed us to start shooting them this year.

Bear,

I think there's a lot to that. A gray fox foot is smaller than a red and the print looks very much like a cat track many times, small and somewhat round. The gray is smaller than the red fox, walks in a different manner and seems to be more "nervy" than a red. Grays will actually climb trees to a degree, particularly a leaning tree. I don't think they can climb straight up, from my understanding, but they will go up leaning trees.

Fox hunters (with hounds) always prefer the red fox since it gives the dogs a good chase, but the grays don't run as far and will generally run in a hole or den quicker, much like a pressured cat will tree. The gray fox generally inhabits the thicker areas, while the red prefers more open country.

To me at least, a gray acts more cat-like.

I want to go back to the farm soon and try to call it up again for more video, but I want to get closer this time for better footage. I'll need to camo up good.

I took quite a bit of footage that I edited out, that showed that fox looking for something, like a human or something else. Many times it would have it's back to the decoy and caller, and would be looking up into the field as if it expected to see something or someone. It looked directly at me several times and would throw it's nose to the wind. Then, it would turn attention once again to the call and decoy. The fox tried to take a bite of the decoy a few times. It was an interesting 8-10 minutes worth.

Glad you can now begin hunting them. They are a lot of fun to call and they really get tore up sometimes when coming to the call. Get the Johnny Stewart Gray Fox Pup distress and be prepared for some fast action. That sound is dynamite on grays.

Back