Full moon no snow

TCook

I stated in anoter post that I prefer not to hunt at night on a full moon (no snow) because I think the coyotes have a sight advantage, and your light does'nt do a good enough job of hiding you. I don't think that the coyotes are inactive on full moons, I just think they'll bust you more often than not on a bright night.

My question is: Do you hunt on a full moon without snow? If yes why? If no why? Give your opinions on why its good or bad.

I don't, but that is me. I hunt at close ranges. They might be curious about those two red dots on my head (LEDs), but in a full moon they can see a strange human like form under them.

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterThere is no such thing as no snow conditions here.

Huh?

Born, raised and lived in Colorado all my life. I thought I knew the state pretty well. Where is this part of CO you speak of?

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Super White HunterThere is no such thing as no snow conditions here.

Huh?

Born, raised and lived in Colorado all my life. I thought I knew the state pretty well. Where is this part of CO you speak of?

I live up the crystal river valley, hunt anywhere from aspen to marble, if we are hunting coyotes there is always snow on the ground, my hay fields don't melt off until end of may and sometimes into june. If your hunting them with no snow here there hides are no good, I don't hunt them during the summer unless they are causing problems. (stealing chickens or something of that sort)

I did not get to hunt very much this year, So I did not sell any, I kept some to hang on the wall for my son and gave some to a indian lady who uses them to make stuff that she sells, i have been giving her all sorts of hides for a couple years now, she is going to make me a elk jacket for payment.

Where in colorado are you from?

Born and raised in the SLV (Alamosa). Been in the Pueblo area about the last 34 years.

You said in another thread there were some years that you have killed close to 200 coyotes. Were those years up in the Crystal River Valley? Most all of em killed in the winter months? Or I should ask, the months when the fur is good?

I prefer dark nights also. The coyotes here are gonna have to be fairly close to even see, much less get a shot, in this thick area. A bright night sure gives them a better chance of bustin me in these closer range situations.

-Dave

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesBorn and raised in the SLV (Alamosa). Been in the Pueblo area about the last 34 years.

You said in another thread there were some years that you have killed close to 200 coyotes. Were those years up in the Crystal River Valley? Most all of em killed in the winter months? Or I should ask, the months when the fur is good?

No I used to live in fort collins and most came from east of there and in wyoming, but some from all over the place.

That's a bunch of coyotes in a year man.

I had a coyote killin hero in Okie land, but I think I'll replace him with you.
lol.gif

Hey Guys,

Couldnt help but read in on what was going on. I agree that coyotes arent inactive on moonlit nights, they just bust you more. We rarely get snow here, but we try and schedule hunts around the dark of the moon when the weather is too far in advance to predict. It just gives you more cover, almost like using camo and a good setup during the day. One thing we do on those moonlit nights is use white light, sometimes two! We swing them fast and try our best to see them before they see us. Admittedly we use white all the time now, but one of the reasons we started was those moonlit nights were it seemed the moon was brighter than a red filter. I would highly suggest to anybody hunting on a very moonlit night to try out a white light. When you are trying to beat a bright white light, the best defence is a bright white light!

Take care,

Todd

Todd, I beleive you're on to something. Great advice, and I really enjoy the show. The night hunts/bow hunts are my favorites, I don't see those types of hunts on the other predator shows.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes That's a bunch of coyotes in a year man.

I had a coyote killin hero in Okie land, but I think I'll replace him with you.
lol.gif

Well I don't know about that, I have not even seen that many coyotes in a single year in a long time,
But you just made my day thanks.

ARdave, cookstaxi, where yall coyote hunting at night? I know it's not legal in Arkansas!!! Darn shame too, as they work a creek through a pasture 1/2 mile in front of my house most nights. yh57

yh57, You're right, it is illegal to night hunt in AR under most circumstances. I have a DEP permit for my lands, which allows me to take coyotes at night (on my land only). I also hunt other states on occasion that allow night hunting.

The permits are issued if you have livestock damage due to the coyotes. We have chicken houses, sheep, goats, and several acres of land.

Back