I need some help finding prairie dog hunts in Co

yotesmokerz

I will be in Co sometime in July and was thinking about finding some dogs. Is it legal to hunt at this time of the year. And if it is what areas of colorado are the best. I would think the eastern side. I am not asking for anyones honeyhole, more interested in pay for land access and be given a map to get to the towns as this is a family vacation and I wont have time to find public land and search. Are there any places on the wesern side by chance? Thanks guys in advance.

While it may have changed, it used to be illegal to shoot PDs on Public Land east of I-25, so private land is your only option...For that, you almost need to be know to the land owner...Not saying that you can't get permission on a 'drive up'...but don't count on it,,,

An alternative would be to post an ad in one of the local papers, stating your purpose and intention... you might get a response from someone..

Can shoot them on private land any time of day any time of year. If you have written permission from the land owner you DO NOT have to have any kind of license.....period. Small Game regs 327a and 327b.

There is so little public land with prairie dogs on it in eastern CO so as to make the season dates a mute point. There is a season and you can find dates on the DOW web site

No clue about the Monte Vista area and prairie dogs...other than the fact I was born in Monte.

Since I have not shot pds all over the entire state I don't really know where the best is but I am guessing the farther south you go the better it may possibly be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706Can shoot them on private land any time of day any time of year. If you have written permission from the land owner you DO NOT have to have any kind of license.....period. Small Game regs 325a and 325b.

There is so little public land with prairie dogs on it in eastern CO so as to make the season dates a mute point. There is a season and you can find dates on the DOW web site

No clue about the Monte Vista area and prairie dogs...other than the fact I was born in Monte.

Since I have not shot pds all over the entire state I don't really know where the best is but I am guessing the farther south you go the better it may possibly be.

Hey Steve, does this mean we have been shooting ilegally?
lol.gif

Jimmy

If your going way west like grand junction just get out in the dessert and they are everywhere, Great place to bring family to, lots of atv riding and such, just make sure you check out regulations.

Originally Posted By: joghotrod1Originally Posted By: skb2706Can shoot them on private land any time of day any time of year. If you have written permission from the land owner you DO NOT have to have any kind of license.....period. Small Game regs 325a and 325b.

lol.gif

Jimmy

No it does not. I have met, face to face either land owner or farmer of every place we have shot. Basically the reg says that if you are an agent of the land you are not required to have any kind of license. Agent being a somewhat vague term loosely used.

I will be out farmin this weekend and with any luck reaffirm any permission requirements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: joghotrod1Originally Posted By: skb2706Can shoot them on private land any time of day any time of year. If you have written permission from the land owner you DO NOT have to have any kind of license.....period. Small Game regs 325a and 325b.

lol.gif

Jimmy

No it does not. I have met, face to face either land owner or farmer of every place we have shot. Basically the reg says that if you are an agent of the land you are not required to have any kind of license. Agent being a somewhat vague term loosely used.

I will be out farmin this weekend and with any luck reaffirm any permission requirements.

I figured you had it under control. I was just kidding you.

Jimmy

Originally Posted By: yotesmokerzcan anyone tell me if turtle is right if it is still that way or if it has changed.

and if there are any out towards monte vista

There really arent any near Monte or Alamosa. In fact the Valley is pretty void of them.
With the high water table, the artesian wells and the high alkaloid soil, it just isn't where a prairie dogs wants to live.

Now it is bunny and coyote heaven.

Last edited:
Just an update on CO prairie dogs. I am happy to report there are now 200 or so fewer of them today than there was Saturday morning. Just saying..............

Oh and one extremely unfortunate pocket gopher.

Goin to meet up with a fella in KS that has 3-4000 acres of new stock. Did a drive-by yesterday but figured I wouldn't bother them on Easter Sunday. The place is hopping with pds and they didn't look like they had seen many guns either.

Last edited:
man what i would do to get some right now. i appreciate all the info guys it has been helpful.
what about the grand junction area might get up around there

Originally Posted By: yotesmokerzman what i would do to get some right now. i appreciate all the info guys it has been helpful.
what about the grand junction area might get up around there

Honestly... What little shooting you will find out west of town is hardly worth the trip, plus its public ground and closed to shooting right now. A couple here and a couple there isnt worth it. I live here and dont even go out there because of the low numbers.

Curious FH as I have never pursued pds on your half the state. Have you ever ran into any shootable numbers over there, anywhere ?

Originally Posted By: skb2706Curious FH as I have never pursued pds on your half the state. Have you ever ran into any shootable numbers over there, anywhere ?

Mark has a private ranch we shoot on but it wont take more than 3 to 4 trips a year up there and we clean'em out pretty good. The ones left know what the truck looks like!

There are public ground places that hold some but as I posted before, 10 or so here and a dozen over there. Nothing worth even setting a bench up for. I wished people would leave them alone for a couple years to get the population up, sure would help. Used to be a bunch in the Nucla area, they held that shoot down there every year. You dont even hear about pd's in that area now. To answer your question, no not that I am aware of. Thats why I make the pilgrimage north or east a couple times a year.

My brother lives there and I have went with him a couple times just north and west of town, we usually have pretty good luck and can find a spot or two that hold a good number. But there is lots of places like you said where they are very spoty.
Did not make it out this year but curious what the rabbit population was like this year,

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: skb2706Curious FH as I have never pursued pds on your half the state. Have you ever ran into any shootable numbers over there, anywhere ?

Mark has a private ranch we shoot on but it wont take more than 3 to 4 trips a year up there and we clean'em out pretty good. The ones left know what the truck looks like!

There are public ground places that hold some but as I posted before, 10 or so here and a dozen over there. Nothing worth even setting a bench up for. I wished people would leave them alone for a couple years to get the population up, sure would help. Used to be a bunch in the Nucla area, they held that shoot down there every year. You dont even hear about pd's in that area now. To answer your question, no not that I am aware of. Thats why I make the pilgrimage north or east a couple times a year.

Ok so make the pilgrimage. I know where there might be a few.

Back