Dogs, and rattle snakes

Duane@ssu

Tony, posted in another forum, that he killed the first snake of the season for him. I got to thinking about snakes here, and also that other dog guys have snakes to deal with.
I think it is worthwhile to spend alittle time and hear from diff guys how they handle "dogs/snakes"
I'm asking for info from everyone,the more info the better.
I'll start, I shock my dogs off snakes. I catch a snake and remove the fangs, I also tape the mouth shut as a precaution.
I turn the snake loose in the yard ,and turn out a few dogs, when the dogs get within a few feet of the snake, "I FRY THEM".
Dogs learn pretty quick not to mess with snakes.
Before I did this, I would just take my chances, once or twice a year, I had snake bit dogs.Sometimes hunting dogs, sometimes cow dogs.I don't wanna loose either.
I'm not a vet, and will not claim to be.If a dog is snake bit,and you go to the vet, they charge "x", and you have a 50/50 chance the dog will live.I use 6cc of "Dex", I have a 50/50 chance a dog will live. Just what has worked around here for years.(It was an old rancher that turned me on to this)
Lets hear what other guys have to say.If we can save one dog, the time spent is well worth it.

What is Dex and where do you get it? I would be the person who takes the dog to the vet. Not because I have a bunch of money to spend. I know nothing about doctoring a dog.

I personally like the idea of "de-snaking" dogs with an electric collar. Problem is I don't particularly like to handle snakes at all. Having been a professional dog trainer for so long I got tired of paying vet bills so I married my vet. We have been using the rattlesnake vaccine which requires 2 shots. Of course.... I haven't had a dog snake bit since. However, she has had clients that have had dogs bitten after vaccination with very good results. Supposedly the vaccine is even more effective in the West as opposed to the East. My personal experience is dogs that get bitten then get the h*ll away from the snake do OK the ones that get p*ssed of an fight the snake don't do so well. As far as the "DEX".... works well but "my vet" states any kind of antihistamine works and it's easier to store pills without messing with the effectiveness i.e. if you have a bottle of "dex" on the dash of your truck (stored improperly) it can lose its effectiveness. Either way snakes and in my neck of the woods, alligators........ SUCK!!!!

Last edited:
i've been lucky and never had one bit, i shock them off when i get a chance but i also give them the snake shot every year, it might help and it cant hurt

I shock the dogs off of snakes, but only if we happen to run into one. Never thought of catching one, defanging it, etc... Actually the thought of catching one life, scares the he11 out of me.
smile.gif

Tony

Dustballs,

You have to get dexamethasone from a vet. Most won't give it out unless you have a very good relationship with them or live in such a remote region that they think it's imperative that you have some available. The other problem is it really needs (if I'm not mistaken) to be given IV to have an effect on snake bites and most people including myself can not easily hit a vein on an incapacitated dog let alone one that is excited or upset, etc. from an encounter with a snake. "My vet" wouldn't give it to me to carry in my dog first aid kit. I traveled all over the country and her instructions were simple, Give Benadryl or similar antihistamine orally and get to a vet period!!!

I had no idea of a snake vaccine, i learn something new everyday. My dog will be taking a trip to the vet before any more desert outings. Do i just ask for the snake shot?

I agree whole- heartedly with you Tony!! I hate the things!!!

Duane if you catch, de-fang, and tape the mouth shut on Western Diamondbacks or any rattlesnakes for that matter you are the man!!!!!!

I have got along pretty well with dex and penicillin on snake bit dogs and horses. I guess I think a little different with my dog around the yard in that I hope they get the snake before one of my kids gets into the snake. I'd sure rather take my chances with the a dog recovering than one of my daughters, but I'm sure everyone here can understand that. I'd like to think that I could train 'em off snakes in the field and still have 'em get after one in the yard, but I have no claims to make as a dog trainer. Obaro

The vaccine is a great option, I have never used it, but our local vet does offer it. I know most of the bird bog guys use it. I don't know anyone that has had a dog bit, that had the vaccine, so I have no idea on the effectiveness.
As for Dex (Dexamethasone) Here I can get it at the feed store. 10$ for a 100ml bottle.I will not be without it in my vet box.
Catchin and defanging a snake is no big deal.I don't wanna share the deatils though, and have someone get bit and sue me.Haha.
Frying a dog of snakes is the best "insurance"I know of.
I agree that if a dog gets "bit, and backs off" they may be fine, I had a catahoula x macnab, he would fight a snake till it was dead.I gave him, probably more "Dex" than he was worth,in four years. He ended up killed by a pickup.
This is the reason I brought this up, to share info.
Thanks for all the good reponses.

Hope you guys know that rattlesnakes have multiple fangs that lay on the roof of their mouths (2-3 sets) and you can't defang them. They lose fangs and have a replacement and they grow them back when they lose them. Just thought everyone should know.

if any one ever tells you they saw my taping a snakes mouth shut or defanging it just mark them up as a lier, it takes all the will power i have to step on a dead ones head so i can twist the rattles off

I never looked in the mouth for "spare fangs", I "cut the two I can see with sidecutters, and tape the mouth shut", after a quick lesson for the dogs I kill the snake.
Interesting that they have "spares".

Back