tell me about the 20 vartarg

BOBTAILS

I am looking at a 20 vartarg, how many of you out there got one? This will be a 300 yard and under gun. So what are your likes and dislikes?

Bobtails, you are seeing the light.

I have been shooting the 20VT for over five years now. I have two of them.

IMHO, it is the best PD rifle out there. Both of my Coopers love 32gr. V-Max's, and I'm working on a 32gr. BK load as well. Without any doubt, they are my go-to rifles for 300 yd., and less, PD's.

"Ugly Betty", and that's another story, has hundreds of PD's to her credit.

Efficient, accurate, etc, etc. What else can I say.

If I was asked to give up all of my rifles, save one, it would be a 20VT. No doubt.

There isnt a whole lot one can dislike about the 20VT. My Cooper 20VT is a fantastic shooting rifle, probably one of the most accurate I have. The VT is a great choice for prairie dog shooting, its efficient, low recoil and has a very respectable velocity for the case size.

The 20VT has earned a place in my safe for many years to come.

I have thought that it would be a neat project to build a 20 Vartarg to "replace" my 17 hmr. For me it would be interesting find a nice 40g grouping down on the lower end of the power spectrum. I would think that this would result in a muzzle blast considerably less than a 223. I have never shot a coyote with anything less than a .224 caliber, but it would be interesting to see how effective a 40g bullet would be with a slightly reduced charge.

BT, If you havn't been there, go to saubier. com and you can learn alot about the 20VT and any other small caliber you might be interested in. It has been my favorite forum for years now, besides PM of course.
The 20 VT is the Bee's knees as one of the guys over on Saubier would say. Would be perfect for your described application. Think you would love it. D

The only drawback that I read about the Vartarg was in getting brass? I read that the 221 brass was hard to find. This stuff that I read was from a while back so availability may be better now. The article did say that its a very efficient cartridge and has great potential for accuracy. Looks like a great lil cartridge.

Cal
I dont think you would need to reduce the load to come up with less muzzle blast, It defiantly as less than the 223. For coyotes I would keep the speed up and use any bullet that didnt have a plastic tip. The 35 berger would be a real good choice.

I shoot the 32 vmax in mine for prairie dogs. I am getting about 3650 out of them, which is on the mild side but it shoots bug holes so I left it there.

If you want a centerfire replacement for the HMR, check into the 17 Ackley Hornet. A weekend of shooting one of those and you will soon forget about the HMR.

Ornery
Brass is readily available on midways site and a few others. I dont know the reason for the shortage a couple years ago but its been pretty easy to for a year or so now. High priced but easy to find.

FYI
Necking down the brass is easy, just a single pass the FL size die and you got it. It goes in 221 FB and comes out 20VT. Hornady has the best price on dies too.

This little caliber really sounds cool. I already have 3 17 centerfires and a 221 caliber so I have lots of brass to use.

Brass life is as good as any of the fireballs. There is little to no recoil when shooting the 32 gr bullets, watching your hits on prairie dogs is easy. I have a pair of 221 FB and only one 20VT. Honestly I wished it were the other way around, I would rather have two VT's

I have been shooting various 20 caliber wildcats for the past 20 years, and this is just my opinion, but I feel Kindler's 20 VT is probably the best of the bunch that can easily be made up from available factory brass.

It is extremely efficient in terms of velocity achieved versus powder burned, and barrel heating is not a big issue in a PD patch.

Another 20 caliber wildcat that I like that doesn't get a lot of press currently is the 20 T-N-T - standard 17 Remington brass simply necked up to 20 caliber. It generates a little bit more barrel heat, but it is also extremely efficient, IMO.

For 20 caliber power my favorite is the Tac 20. There are other 20 caliber cartridges that shoot flatter, etc. but the Tac 20 seems to be the perfect balance of case size and bore diameter... As with most things, you pay for velocity, and barrel heating is an issue with the Tac 20 in a PD patch. It's not severe, but you have to keep it in mind on a warm day with lots of shooting.

It and the 204 Ruger are ballistic twins, but the Tac 20 does it with less powder... About 1-1.5 less grains of powder depending on which powder you are using. Chrony tests will show the velocity matches time and again for the disbelievers... And less powder for the same velocity translates into less barrel heat over time.

Again, JMO on what's best.

-BCB

Back