Moon effect on coyotes coming to the call?

GJJ

Here is some of what I have read regarding the effect of the Moon on coyote hunting:

New Moon

Night - They are most active at night because of their ability to not be seen.

Day - Less active during the day because they have been hunting all night.

Full Moon

Night - They are least active at night due to increased likelihood of being seen.

Day - Most active during the afternoon. I am not sure why the afternoon and not the morning?

1/2 and 1/4 Moons - not sure of the effect here?

Anyone want to fill in the blanks?

I guess 1/2 & 1/4 would split the difference.

I don't see a big difference in response rates in relation to moon phase, (day or night) except for during a full, or nearly full moon. I rarely call at night on a full moon, not because I think the coyotes are inactive, but because I think they have a sight advantage on bright nights. I don't think your light does a good enough job of hiding you on bright nights. I know a full moon with snow is a different story.

This gets me to thinking, I'll start another thread to go along with this one. Thanks for posting the info.

While I do believe the moon phases and position of the moone does have an effect on their behavior and movement I believe it is very minimal when you consider all other variables and factors.

In the past I compilled a lot of data that I retrieved off of video I shot while guiding. This data covered three years and most all huntable days during the fall and winter. Weather was the most controlling factor. Another thing I gathered was that the first and last hour of daylight were the most productive (even in very remote areas). We had outstanding days during every moon position and phase. We also had poor days during what some would consider peak moon times.

In the end I came to the conclusion that coyotes go to work everyday. They are oportunistic and will come if you give them the chance regardless of the moon.

I'll let you all in on a couple of secrets if you promise not to tell (said in a whisper). 1.You can't call them if your not out there with them. 2. If you work your way into a good position fairly close to them (hard part)where it makes it very tempting, keep as few obsticles between you and them that would hinder their aproach and you will call lots of coyotes regardless where the moon is or how big it is.

The above pertains to calling during daylight hours. At night the moon can hurt or help. If your hunting over snow lots of guys like a full moon. If your hunting at night with lights (no snow) you are better off with no moon. This is not because the moon has a magical effect on the coyotes. It is simply because you have an advantage, and they are more vulnerable.

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

You have heard it from "the man" himself, and, for what it's worth, I agree with him completely. I have kept records for a year, plotted against what my "feeding times" computer program produces. For my area, mostly hunting at night, I can find no correlation with the moon. One thing I have noted is decreased predator activity when the temps fall below 29 degrees. Unlike their northern counterparts, wherre temps can be below freezing for weeks, I believe our southern predators instinctively know that it will warm up in a few hours, so they hunt in the mornings. Our rabbits "hole up" in weather like this, to the point that you could walk up to them and probably kick them.

Back