257 Weatherby for ELK

I would personally take my 7RM but I have seen big elk killed with a 243. If you feel comfortable with your 257 and you have plenty of practice with it. Then I say take the 257. It can and will definitely do the job. If you feel comfortable with what you have, then take what you have.

Originally Posted By: AAshotIts laughable at best to suggest that a 257WBY isn't capable of succesfully hunting elk with... ....FWIW, most anything that eats 70plus grns of powder is no slouch with a properly constructed bullet....lol

While you probably are not trying to be a comedian, this statement did strike me as humorous. 70g of powder is a definitely enough to pack quite a wallop with a bullet a good construction such as a Nosler Partition.

Actually I can see the argument on both sides of the fence. I guess my opinion would be that a larger caliber would allow the hunter more flexibility when it comes to choosing his shot. If you are of my attitude that is fine. I have sat and watched legal bucks for over an hour and let them pass because it was not the shot or the animal that I was wanting. For me the fun is in the hunting/stalking not just the killing and if I don't get the right shot I have no problem passing one up. Another thought would be that very few of those that malign the 257Wby for elk would consider archery hunting for elk to be unethical, and I would think that a 257 Roy would open up a wound channel equal to or better than a muzzy broadhead... just a thought.

No, I don't own a 257 roy but I sure have lusted over them. Is it true that they come from the same parent case that the 7mm Rem mag does? I have heard it said that you can form 257 brass from the 7mm. Is this true? It sure would be cheaper.

You most certainly can make 257 roys out of 7mm Rem Mag brass. I have a buddy that bought a roy last fall and this summer I am going to make him some brass out of 7mm to try to get the cost down a bit for him.

Pretty much everything has already been said but, one last opinion:

While I would feel more confidence with a 340 Weatherby, 338 Win Mag, or something equivalent, it is also my conviction that any rifle I buy will not just set in the safe. By the time you pay for the rife, a good set of rings/mounts, and a good scope you will have invested the better part of a $1000. I don't want to pay that kind of money then just have it sit in the gun safe, to be used only once every year or two to go after an elk. When it comes to recoil I am kind of a sissy and going to the range and shooting a 200g bullet out of belted magnum is not my idea of fun. One the other hand you could be shooting the 257 at the range and also take it on the occasional coyote hunt. When the moment of truth comes and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the buck of a lifetime, I would much rather be shooting a familiar rifle that I have been shooting all summer long, rather than one that has sat in the gun safe all that time.

Example: I have cousin that paid over $1800 for a 460 Weatherby. It is a great gun and will kill just about anything on the planet, however he has shot less that 20 rounds through it in the last five years due to the strong recoil, extremely loud muzzle blast, and heavy weight to carryout in the field.

Back