Silverfox and FoxPro Score One Today!!!

Silverfox

We have had rainy weather here for about a week and it looked like it would continue all day today. It quit raining around noon and the sun actually came out and it looked pretty nice outside. I was working, but I was having a hard time concentrating on work soooooo----

I left work a little early and when I got outside the weather was nicer than I had imagined--there was little or no wind!!! That is VERY RARE in North Dakota. I rushed home, changed into my hunting clothes, got my rifle (my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger), grabbed a box of 32 gr. V-Max handloads that the rifle is sighted in for, got the FoxPro and hand calls and headed out east of town. What wind there was appeared to be out of the SW so I picked a spot where I would be on the east side of a deep draw, looking to the WNW. As I was walking in to my calling spot, I noticed that the wind was funneling somewhat from the SSE instead of the SW, but that would work if the coyote/s didn't come from straight north of me.

I had the FoxPro situated down below me to the NW of me on a rock in some blue stem grass about 55 yards away. I set the caller to play the Woodpecker Distress sound at fairly low volume and let it run for about 2 minutes. I switched to the Coyote Interrogation sound and at the 4 minute mark I turned on that sound and turned the volume up to about half. While that was playing, I switched the sound to the Female Invitaion howls and after about 5 howls of the Interrogation sound, I switched it to the Female Invitation sound. At the 6 minute mark into the stand I muted the FoxPro and just started to watch the horizons very carefully. At the 7 minute mark a male coyote came trotting over the crest of the hill to the WNW of me about 190 yards from my stand. He came to about 150 yards and stopped. I could see him scanning the hillsides around me looking very intently for the intruding coyote. When he couldn't see another coyote, he tilted his head up and started barking and howling so ferousiously that his front feet were actually bouncing on the ground!!! While he had his head tilted up and was howling, I slipped my eye up to the scope, cranked the power ring up to 20X, and leveled the crosshairs on the middle of his chest. When he was howling he had turned slightly so instead of looking head on at me, now he was quartering toward me, and his left front shoulder was closer to me than his right front shoulder. I tried to get him to turn and look dead at me by lip squeaking several times. I could see his head turn to look up at me, but his body stayed at the quartering position. Well, I would rather have a shot at a coyote that is standing still than one that is coming on the trot, so I squeezed off the shot. He just tipped over and didn't even twitch. I looked at my watch and I had been on stand for 7 minutes and 45 seconds! I chambered another round, carefully placing the empty in my breast pocket. (That .204 Ruger brass is worth its weight in gold, dontcha know!!!)

I turned the FoxPro to the Coyote Pup Distress sound for about 3 minutes and nothing came. So, I went back and used the Interrogation Howls about 5 series and the Female Invitation Howls about 5 series and then I used the Woodpecker distress off and on for another 15 minutes. Nothing else appeared, so I decided to do some photography. I took a few pictures from behind my rifle and looking out to where the coyote lay.

I then took out my Leica 1200 range finder and lasered the distance to the rock right alongside the coyote--it was 147 yards. I had shot a coyote from that same calling spot two years ago when the snow was about up to your neck. Good calling spot! Then I picked up my butt pack, shooting sticks, and rifle and headed down to check on my coyote. I did some more photos down there and then placed my drag rope on the coyote and headed back to the pickup. The 32 gr. V-Max entered the front of his chest and a small exit wound was made near the back of his right front shoulder. Not a bad exit wound, but a small one. Had he been looking dead at me or if I would have held a little bit more toward his left shoulder, I don't think there would have been an exit wound--shot placement thing again!!!

I did some scouting around looking at areas I usually call and checked for No Hunting signs, but there were none in some of my favorite calling spots. It was very muddy on the back country roads and I didn't want to tear them up too bad because the farmers and ranchers really don't like it when you rip up their agricultural trails. I headed home and weighed the coyote. He was pretty small, only weighing in at 20 pounds. He didn't look to be a young one from this year, but maybe he was from last year's litter. He sure was sassy when he barked and howled after he came over the hill though. That's why I thought he was the Alpha male of the pack. Maybe not though. I hung the coyote up in my back yard so he could cool off and then had a nice evening meal with the wife. I will place the coyote in my chest freezer tomorrow morning so he doesn't spoil.

Here's a picture of the spot from which I was calling looking out to where the rock and coyote are situated. The FoxPro caller is in one of my old white ski masks and that is marked on the photo as well.

View_from_Rifle--Long--Text.jpg

And a view from where I shot the coyote looking back to where I was set up on the hill side. Please note the FOXPRO caller in the foreground of the photo!!! I have the top portion of an old golf glove on the FoxPro handle so I can hang it on a barb wire fence or off of small branches if necessary. I also have a small nylon rope tied fore and aft on the handle for hanging it off of fence posts, etc.

View_from_coyote_text_small.jpg

The rifle worked fine, the FoxPro worked fine, but I got a little tired dragging the coyote back to the pickup.

Silverfox, As always great story and pics to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

I thought some of your spring time North Dakota pictures were pretty. I gotta say your pics of North Dakota in the fall are just as nice.

How did the .204 do on the fur?

Way to go Silverfox!
Another excellent narrative complete with fantastic photos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Just as good as being there. Well, almost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Silverfox

Great stuff!

Looks like you had some sun in your face. Beats giving up the wind anyday though doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've also started using trees and fences to elevate the caller. I like that idea.

Brad

Am I the only one Silverfox is making want a 204?

Anyway thanks for the great story and pics! I particulatly enjoyed the parts about saving the brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Will the .204 brass come down to the level where you can just go buy a bag of brass like a bag of .223 brass? And for a reasonable price? Anyone have any SP 204 bullets in the works?

Thanks Silverfox

Silverfox, Another great hunt, posted for us to enjoy. Many Thanks...
With all the coyotes you kill in North Dakota, do the local pheasants send you a Christmas card, or gather round you in the field, and point out the distant yotes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Silverfox, I'm more of a lurker than a poster on the board anymore, but I grin every time I see your name attached to a post because I know there will be a great story, some awesome pictures, or some sound advice attached.

Your stories and pictures come as close to making the reader feel like they're right there on the stand with you as humanly possible. Keep up the good work!

Why do they call it blue stem when theres nothing blue about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Very good story and good pictures too! We've had rain here too(I like to call in it) but I have'nt had time to call lately. I've been horseback for the last week and a half and seen a ton of coyotes. They sure like taunting me when I have no weapon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

As usual, a GREAT story and photos from Silverfox. You need to write a book or somrthing. You just have a way of making a reader feel like he is there with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kinda forced that old boy to come right up that draw. Great story and photos...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SilverFox,
You write the bestest stories about your hunts.
I thought I was setting there with you calling that coyote.
Also you have the greatest calling land out west. I wish it was like that here in Pennsylvania. I may just pick up and move out there and buy the house next to yours....there goes the neighborhood. Thanks again buddy, peterjc

Looks like your still at it SilverFox.........

Stories that would make any magazine and photo's that would be well suited in National Geographic!!

Throw some gooey camo tape on that $1000 rifle!! You make me sick!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I want to thank you all for the nice comments on the story and photos. I really appreciate it!!!

sleddog-- I am not going to hold my breath waiting for .204 Ruger brass to become as cheap as .223 military brass! I do think prices for it should be reasonable though, maybe in the $20 to $24 per hundred range, IF/WHEN it gets on the market. With Remington manufacturing their own factory ammo for the .204 Ruger, I would guess they are probably making some brass for it too, but that is just a guess on my part. I am not overly fond of the quality of Remington brass, but if they are making it, at least we have a choice between the Hornady stuff and Remington's offering. I bought 500 Remington .222 Magnum casings to fire form for the .204 Ruger and I was not favorably impressed with the quality of that Remington brass at all.

As for soft point bullets for the .204 Ruger, your guess is as good as mine. It may be a loooong time before that happens.

Ridgeviewer-- I have never received a Christmas card from a pheasant, or any sheep, calves, fawns, etc. I hunt so seldom that I probably don't really help them out enough to warrant special thanks from them anyway!!!

Smith-- I have a plan--I should be going along with you as you are taking care of your chores around the ranch. I could take my rifle and calls along and when we spot some coyotes, you could continue to do your work and I could get off the vehicle and wipe that grin off the faces of those coyotes that are taunting you!!!

perterjc-- watch out what you wish for because you just might get it!!! There is, in fact, a house right next door to me that is for sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Predator Paul--it is shameless the way I flaunt that bright SS barrel, the silver scope and gaudy laminated stock isn't it?! In looking at some of the photos of the rifle, I think I may have to put camo tape on the barrel and scope because they really do reflect way more light than is acceptable to me. As for the stock, I may just spray a coat of Krylon Matte Finish #1311 on the stock to dull down the shine a bit.

Thanks again for the nice comments from you guys!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I never see many from the truck silverfox, horseback is when they really get to me.

Bring your saddle, rifle, and calls, I'll supply ya with the rest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I won't put you on a bronc, and I wont even make you trail any cattle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Warning! a$$ may be sore, 20 miles is about a average ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back