Scope eye..........

Quote:While target shooting I wear safety glasses. I've had it touch them before.

Me too. Almost every shot with my .308.
I almost expect it now.
wink.gif

I wear readin glasses so I guess those are kinda like safety glasses.I have'nt been hit in a while so hopefully I aint jinxin myself somehow by readin this.I'll probably end up breakin these readin glasses in half sometime soon after readin this knowin my luck.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I will admit that I have done it. I have had employees do it so bad that stitches were required. The thing that caused me the biggest scar was a M95. Since I am left handed that bolt cut-out is almost perfectly at the lower left corner of my mouth. Shooting from a bench was not so bad, but I decided to take it out to a cut corn field and shoot black birds with it. On one shot I had to reposition just a bit, when the trigger broke, I knew I was bleeding. It has been three years now and it is still tender to shave that area.
John

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:While target shooting I wear safety glasses. I've had it touch them before.

Me too. Almost every shot with my .308.
I almost expect it now.
wink.gif

Dang....! The scope must have a short eye relief for a 308 to zap ya'... Or to even hit shooting glasses.

I've been dinged a couple of times, but it was with a Model 70 458 Win Mag hurriedly shouldered and not snugged back hard.

-BCB

I have been bumped a few times but no blood. Both times were with my old bolt action 7 rem mag. I really don't miss shooting that thing, what a beast.

Mark2

Quote:The scope must have a short eye relief for a 308 to zap ya'...

It's a 30 years old Vari-X II at 9 power, and the eye relief ain't all that great. Once it smashes me in the eye a couple times, I'll probably replace it.
blink.gif

It only happens when I'm shooting off the bench, I should have specified that. Off-hand, I'm good to go.

Last edited:
I have flip ups on all of my scopes and 90%of the time there is either a pair of oakleys or Costa del Mar shades between me and the scope. I have been hit in the glasses before.(7mmRUM, 30-378Wby)

Not me. Not yet. Don't plan on it happening to ME. I watched a guy get "bit" by a .375 H&H Mag. and decided that wouldn't happen to me. Hasn't happened yet. I hope it doesn't. But, I don't like pain and have been extra careful.

ive been hit a few times but never cut me .. i was in a stand i love when a doe walked in i had a doe tag so i got my rifle up and had to get down some what in a weird postion because of where she was.when i touched that .308 off i felt it hit. it left a red mark

I must be lucky, I have not been bit yet. I have had a few close calls with my 444 Marlin that packs a punch though. When I was around 12 and shooting a 12 gauge for the first time I got to far forward with my hand wrapped around the pistol grip and took it in the nose, and the blood did run.

I never had scope eye, never been touched by the scope.

I expect to get tapped on the face eventually. I dont shoot as much as some of you though.

I got hit more than once. Always with a bolt gun, never a gas operated one.

The most memorable one was shooting a custom light weight 458 Win Mag. I just wasn't expecting that much recoil. Didn't cut me or bruise (I don't bruise).

got me a double whammy with a .300 h&h mag. it was my grandfathers gun that was built for him in the 50's i think. a rem.721?? anyway ,when i was about 15 he gave the gun to me and being a inqusitive kid, i took it apart to see the inner workings. when i put it back together i noticed a small washer on the table. did'nt know where it went so i threw it away. found out it belonged to the rear tang screw, the one that holds the back of the trigger guard. without the washer in place, the trigger would hang up on the trigeer guard after being shot. when a new round was chambered, the trigger was already back and would fire when the bolt dropped. the first time,i got scope-eye bad but did'nt know how it happened and being a young dumb kid i went to shoot again and this time it recoiled into my face (the butt plate) and split my bottom lip open. thats when i figgered something was wrong and quit shooting for the day. so i was leaking bad 2 places that day

I've got 2 scope scars (chicks dig 'em, right?), both from my Leupold 2x7 on a .50 cal Encore ML. I got the 1st one when a 144" 10 point snuck in, hard left, to 5 yds one morning at -6*. I blame that one on being in a hurry and wearing 89 layers of clothes. The 2nd scar came while sighting in, got no excuse for that one. Funny thing is both were over the left eye and I'm right handed. Both hit their target.

Note to self: keep looking for that rubber eyepiece cover you bought after the 1st scar...

I'll fess up. I have never gotten bit by a scope, yet the day might come.
cursing.gif
No doubt I have come close but that does not count.
thumbup1.gif

DAB

I've never been really tagged. A couple of close brushes. My young son on the other hand got smacked, gave him a concussion. After several spring trips out shootin prairie dogs with relatively light kicking rifles and thousands of shots he opted for my .300 Win mag for his buck antelope in 2007. It bit him.........12 year olds are resiliant and not two weeks later he picked the same gun for his elk. This time he was conscious of the gun and he had no trouble. Killed his elk at 320 yds. DRT.

This is what happens when you're 12

You forget that the big gun punches a bit harder than those namby pamby varmint rifles.

You lean into your shooting sticks too close.

Your face meets up with a back moving Burris Signature scope and you try to stop said gun with your nose/eye socket.

Your dad loads up a wicked accurate load of IMR 4350, 180 gr. Sierra boattail SP in a .300 Win mag Remington 700.

You forget that even though you are a fantastic shot there will be consequences with this combination.

What_happens_when_you_neglect_eye-relief_with_a_300_WM1.JPG

Last edited:
I got mine when I was about 12 or 13 first time shooting a high powered rifle (Husquavarna 30-06) did not listen to my dad and did not hold the rifle tight to my shoulder. I can still hear my dad laughing at me when I look in the mirror.

I got mine about 35 years ago when a friend and I were in his brand new Chevy 4X4 riding in some hills of SW Va when I spot a crow sitting about 100 yds out. He got his Rem .270 and handed it to me as I rolled down the window and right as I got it up to my eye it bumped the window, went off and laid me out like a light. A couple minutes later after I got my senses back and the inside of his truck looked like a hog slaughtering just happened he said "I forgot to mention it's got a hair trigger". The worst part of all was the dang crow was still sitting there. I left him alone. Can't see the scar for the wrinkles but the dent is still there.

Back