Bubba and Dash's last hunt of the 2009-2010 season

mikegranger

We had our last hunt a couple of weeks ago but I’ve been traveling and just now getting around to the wrap up story.

I always finish coyote hunting in mid-February of each year as that’s when they begin breeding. The biologist in me does not allow for continue harvesting of animals once they begin a new cycle of life. I’ll break this rule if a rancher calls needing help in reducing a coyote problem, but that’s the exception rather than the norm.

Anyway, think back to our last story. It was real short as I’d forgotten the camera. Even though we killed 7 coyotes, even I have a hard time spinning a decent yarn without pictures!

You can bet I remembered the camera the next day.

As most of you know by now, I like taking pictures of “stuff” scattered across the high plains. Here’s a fine example. Looks like with a little work and fresh tires, this tractor would be ready for another 75 years of farming! Ok, maybe a lot of work!

IMG_0108.jpg

We began the day not 1/2 mile from where we’d killed 6 the day before. No luck there so we moved to the wide open stuff like you see in the background. Coyotes were answering my howls with their own at each stand but I couldn’t get them to commit. We played the howling coyote blues all morning long with no luck whatsoever. Coyotes were howling everywhere but none would show their smiling faces. Days like this are when you scratch your head and wonder what the heck is going on. After over 30 years of coyote calling, I still can’t explain why they do what they do! My highly scientific theory is this: Go hunting. Some days it’s phenomenal, others a bust, but if you’re not out there trying, you’ll experience neither!

Earlier in the morning I’d pinpointed a group of howls next to a drainage about 2 miles away. By the time noon rolled around, I figured it was time to sneak into the area and get them really excited.

I stopped at the rancher’ house to ask permission to hunt and was greeted with a serenade of hounds. He was also a cat hunter and had two red bones, a black and tan and one blue tick. Of course we immediately fell into a great discussion about dogs at the end of which he said kill all the coyotes you want. They’re running all over this place. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the very same comments over the years! We drive through some cows, by a couple of hay stacks and I hide the truck behind a terrace. I’ve got a pretty darn good idea where the coyotes are and don’t want to get too close. The dogs and I take off at a fast clip while cows gather around the truck fully expecting to be fed. A few minutes later the only thing separating me from a good vantage to call from is a small creek with a steep bank on the opposite side. Not only is it steep, but snow covered as well. As I’m clawing my way to the top a coyote lets loose with warning barks. I know it hasn’t seen me as I’m still not to the top, but obviously seen the dogs. As I peak over the creek bank with binoculars ready, I see both dogs are focused intently on the coyote. It’s 250 yards away on another terrace barking like the world had just ended. Bubba and Dash head on over as I crawl on up to take the shot. Only problem is every time I get close to hunkering down to the gun, I slide back down the bank! Like I said, it was steep! After two more sliding incidences, I finally am able to dig the toes of my boots in enough to hold myself on the bank. Both dogs are standing not 50 yards from the coyote doing the mexican stand off. I take the shot and the coyote crumbles. The dogs are on it in no time and I be darned if another coyote doesn’t start barking and it’s coming around on the same terrace. I tone the dogs back to me and the coyote walks right up to the dead coyote, sniffs it, then comes another 50 yards closer to the dogs. I’m loving the action and don’t shoot just to see what Dash will do. He’s not as aggressive as Bubba and would not get closer. I was holding Bubba back and without his partner in crime, just couldn’t muster up enough gumption on his own. He’s a pup and will learn though. The coyote finally tires of barking and goes back to the first coyote and turns for the perfect broadside shot. That was my queue and presto, I pulled another coyote out of the hat!

IMG_0114.jpg

Nothing better than a lunch time double! Well, maybe I better qualify that statement with “while coyote hunting”

IMG_0117.jpg

The day was turning out really nice. Sun shining, two dogs dead and two dogs sleeping while I was skinning. Have I mentioned that Dash snores! He was snoring away, soaking up the sun, loving life.

We stopped to let the rancher know how we did. I could see the wheels turning in his head and I’m betting one of those hounds may get some coyote training.

The last coyote of the season was real slow coming in and wouldn’t get closer than 300 yards. I took the shot and was rewarded with another mangy coyote. Although, this year was better than the last few. There was a time 3 or 4 years ago that every 4th coyote was mangy. Now it’s down to one in ten.

IMG_0119.jpg

The mange has been present in Central Montana for over ten years. I’m actually happy to kill dogs like this as they’re going to suffer a miserable death otherwise, and pass mange to no telling how many other coyotes in the process.

IMG_0126.jpg

I get the best picture of Bubba on the last stand of the season. He’s a phenomenal dog that lives for the hunt. We’ve had a couple of close calls this year but it all ends well with him by my side looking for coyotes!

As promised, I wanted to give you my thoughts about hunting with two dogs. This has been a tough year. Way more snow than normal, access has been almost impossible except with snow shoes, and coyotes just haven’t responded as I’d hoped. It seems one dog is an attractant and two dogs a deterrent. Especially with young coyotes. They see both Bubba and Dash and will hold up beyond 200 yards most times. Both dogs running towards a coyote tends to cause them to break and run. Not good if you’re expecting the opposite reaction. I had both dogs on all but one or two stands, primarily to either confirm my initial thoughts or prove them wrong. With a dog as good as Bubba, another isn’t really necessary unless one is hunting during the denning season. Two dogs are essential then as a pair of coyotes can do serious damage rather quickly to a single dog. Since I don’t hunt during the denning season, I’m going to have to reconsider using two dogs. Those of you with more than one dog can relate to how difficult it is to leave one at home or in the box while on the stand. Especially if the little stinker balls like a baby when you leave him behind (Dash).

So, to sum it up, a good coyote dog is priceless. Two are wonderful when you need both, but for hunting during the winter and outside of breeding/whelping season, one too many.

That’s it, the next installment of the Bubba saga will be on hold until November.

As for me, it’s time to Ride!
IMG_0224.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, great story as we always expect.. What a cool double also.

Those 2 coyotes are gorgeous..

Maybe our paths will cross some day, until then keep doing what you do..
smile.gif

Great Story Mike, I have hunted that country a few times , but never for coyotes. I have some friends that live just east of Lewistown that I stay with when I head west. I hope that our paths with cross some day in the future. So what was your final head count for the year.

Mike I never tire of your posts. I have to agree with you that this year was really tough due to the snow. Coyotes have been a little tougher to call as well, not sure why. My theory is that I haven't been able to get as far off the beaten path as usual. Still I have managed to do pretty well all things considered. Oddly enough, the last coyote I shot I was within walking/hiking distance of my house in town. In fact, I shot it, and then walked back to my house because it was closer than hiking back to my pick up. That almost never happens. You sure live in some great country. May you enjoy your break from coyote hunting. Until next season ride like the wind.

Mike, excellent post, as always. I seem to anticipate the next installment of the adventures of Bubba and Dash like nothing else.

I had been wondering about using 2 dogs on stand and thought they might shy away but didn't know for sure. This post shows that. Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to 1 dog for now.

Unbelievable photography, especially the last one with Bubba and that vast country behind him.
I am a dog trainer (bird dogs) but enjoy reading about other uses that people have for their dogs.
Thanks for the pics and story.

Thanks for all the great comments.

Mitch, we'll get together to hunt coyotes for sure sometime. You're enthusiasm is wonderful and I'm positive we would have a blast.

Gity2, I love the Harley and my two Buells and two Honda's. I'm an equal opportunity rider!
thumbup1.gif

Mike, as always a great story and some nice pics. I wish I could have seen you sliding down that embankment, lol.

I can't wait to get Tug trained so I can have some stories like yours. Any tips that you can provide will be appreciated. He has the sitting and staying down pretty good right now. I just have to get him to stay when I walk away for more than 20 yds. Food rewards are awesome.

Please enjoy your riding,

gonzaga

Back