6mm BR???

eclubine

hi, im new to this site and ust looking for a little info

has anybody used the 6mmBR for varmints or predators and if so what bullets and twist rate were used?

I use Varget and AA2230 in my 6mmbr 12 twist.(55,75gr bullets)

AA2230 and Benchmark in my 22br.(40gr bullets)

My 20 Dasher uses VV N540.(40gr. bullets)

And i`m working on a load for my 22 Dasher.(50gr bullets)

All calibers are made from the 6mmbr parent brass.

I have two rifles chambered for 6Br. My heavy rifle has a 14 twist. It will shoot some 80 grain bullets very well and others key hole. I have shot a good number of coyotes with this rifle and about any bullet with good placement will DRT. For varmint shooting 65 grain v-maxes are great. My light rifle has a 10 twist. I like having the choice of loading heavier bullets for this rifle. If I had to recommend one powder it would be Varget. I've never tried IMR 4895 so I can't comment. The 6Br web site is GREAT, spend some time there and read up on a great little cartridge.

Originally Posted By: eclubineWould IMR 4895 work ok in the 6mmBR as far as accuracy and speed go?

It might deliver good accuracy and velocity. But, you should test the rifle with all of the powders redcommended by owners of the 6BR, shooting the same weight bullets you want to use.
Let your rifle do the talkin'...

Martyn

Edit to add: Go to the 6mm web site posted above and spend a lot of time reading what they have to say. There is very good advice presented there. Also, I don't have a 6BR, but I do have a 22BR, same case.

Last edited:
Go to 6mmbr.com for more info than you'll want about the 6BR. I will warn you; they are addictive though.

I had a 6BR put together on a VSSF frame, that I really like. It's a 10 twist. If I were to do it again I'd go 8" just to open up more options. My fovorite varmint load is a stiff load of Varget with a 75gr vmax. Although I did play with some 8208 XBR that got that same bullet to 3388fps through a 26" bbl. Benchmark & N135 have also worked well for me with midrange weight bullets.

I agree you should check out www.6mmbr.com as there is a ton of info on the 6mm br. I have an XR100 at the gunsmith as we speak getting rebarreled from .22-.250 to 6mm Dasher. I chose an 8 twist hoping to be able to shoot a wider range of bullets. Mostly plan on using it for PD's and punching holes in paper. Good luck and have fun, Dave.

I have shot 58gr. through 80 gr. in my Savage LRPV and they all shoot great. I haven't tried the 87 grs. yet. Had I a choice, I would pick an 8 twist barrel. I have shot .250" groups in all the bullets so far. These Savages are the real deal.

Originally Posted By: eclubineAlso would a 10" twist be slow enough for 65-75gr. bullets, and by the way, I like that "let your rifle do the talkin'"
Got a 10 twist 26" tube on one of my Encores. LOVES 75gr Hornady HP's pushed by either 33gr's of BL-C2 or 30gr's of Varget. Just ordered a 9 twist from Pac-Nor for a Savage action I got laying around. 99% of my bullets are 75-90gr,..dying to see what that set up will do.
Only problem I found with the 6br,...is finding something it won't shoot!

Back