Saturday Coyotes

tawnoper

I did a bit of hunting this past Saturday. I took a friend of mine that never had hunted coyotes before, only deer a couple of times but always wanted to try some coyote calling.

We got to where we were hunting Saturday morning, parked the truck and walked out to make a stand. I set my friend up about 10 ft behind me watching my south. I had already told him to get comfortable so he could sit still for about 15 min. Once he got setup I sat down and started calling. Soon as I finished my first series I could hear him moving around. I turned around and whispered “SIT STILL, it’s only been 30 seconds” he said he forgot to put a round in his gun and it was tough to get them out of his pocket while he was seated. Once he got some rounds out and chambered, I turned around to resume calling. As I brought the call up I noticed a white spot out a ways. Soon as I started calling the white spot started moving. I didn’t say anything to my friend cause I knew he would start thrashing around again trying to get a look. This coyote came straight in to about 100 yds then started circling downwind. I took him at about 75 yds. I told my friend to stay put and I kept calling. About 5 minutes later he starts saying “here come some! Coming right at us!” I turned to my 8 and saw 2 dogs. They were stopped at about 150 looking right at us wondering who this guy is yelling. I whispered to my friend to take a shot. At the shot they turned and took off. I ended up hitting one at about 200. My friend shot about 3 times but didn’t connect. After all the shooting he said there were actually 3 coming in, the two I saw and another off to his left.

First two

10-9-04001.jpg

Next stand was just down the hwy a bit. Some nice area I’ve hunted before. It borders some alphalfa fields and more times then not will produce coyotes. We made a stand with me over looking a field and my buddy watching the back side. As soon as I started calling I saw a yote running across the field. He came in to about 50 yards where I took him. I got back on the call and about 10 min. later I see another. This dog comes in to almost the same spot as the first. Actually, at one point, it sniffed his dead buddy. The angle it was at there was a bush blocking me so I couldn’t get a shot off and this dog was about to leave. I gave a few lip squeaks and got it around the bush. Took it right next to the other.

Where they lay

8b3a0c1d.jpg

Trophy shot.

10-9-04006.jpg

Next stand was just down the road and I was trying to get my buddy a good shot. We were driving down a pretty well traveled dirt road when I saw some fresh coyote tracks going across the road that were on top of the latest tire tracks. We pulled over, walked out a bit and made a stand. There was a brush pile out a few hundred yards that bordered an alphalfa field. The tracks were heading in that direction so I set my friend up in that direction. As soon as I ended my first series I saw the dog to the right of the brush pile. My buddy had seen it also so I started lightly calling and here it comes fast, jumping bushes and all. I got it stopped right in front of us about 50 yds, my buddy shoots and a clean miss. He shoots again, misses and the coyote hits over drive. The coyote runs across an open area quartering away from us, I had a good look at it, took the shot and rolled him. This coyote was a nice male and was already priming up.

Coyote & Rifle

10-9-04007.jpg

Trophy shot.

10-9-04008.jpg

Ooh yeah, Weasel likes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Great pics, but ya gotta get your buddy out to practice shooting before your next outing. Is he hooked on predator calling yet?
I really love California, but not the politics.

tawnoper-- Excellent photos and great story. Those rookie predator hunters are sometimes a pain to take along, but usually good for a laugh or two. They are also pretty handy to have along when they do the chore of lugging the coyotes back to the vehicle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You did some great calling and super shooting. Congratulations.

tawnoper

Interesting looking terrain you're callin in. I've never seen so much vegetation with such a sand like floor...but then, I'm from the north, go figure. LOL!

Good lookin Cal coyotes. It's tough to do that with a new caller. Been there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad

I think someone forgot to tell you that you can not possibly kill coyotes with a shiny non-camoed rifle while wearing khaki pants and shorts sleeves.

Now go spend tons of cash on a camo dip for the rifle and some carbon 3D leafy camo. Liked the hat though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great job calling!

I was wondering how I did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...Must of been the hat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dude , great job of callin and shooting with a rookie along LOL. You pulled it off and educated minimal numbers, Hats off to you( pun intended) . what a great day , I love the pics and the ground looks great for calling . The sand sure is comfy aint it? . Again Great job . Jerry .

Thanks guys, yeah it was fun. My buddy really had fun even though his shooting skills need work. He still can't believe Coyotes come a running to that "funny sounding noise". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm gonna head out this weekend with my regular hunting partner. Really looking forward to it since Bobcat season opens Friday "& I got my tags", Quail/Chukar on Sat and along with it being a new moon, lifes good. If we do any good I'll post some pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back