Which case trimmer should I get?

aftCG

I recently got a used Redding case trimmer off eBay. I don't have the model number in front of me but it is the more simple one without the micrometer adjustment.

I trimmed several cases with it and so far I'm not impressed. The collet which grabs the case rim is inconsistent and difficult to get it lined up, and once my stop is set up it is difficult to determine when you've made it there.

I've even undertrimmed a few cases once I (thought I) had it set up on one of the proper length. There is just no "feel".

To get to my point, using this trimmer on a large quantity of cases (I reload for myself and three sons) is going to be extremely tedious.

Any suggestions on trimmers which index well and produce consistent results are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Depends on how picky you are on your length.

If you want percise length, then the Wilson is your choice.

I also use the RCBS Pro that is very fast and accurate to within .003 if I'm not in too big a hurry. You can really trip cases fast with this trimmer.

I have a 1/2" adjustable speed drill attached to each of these trimmers and carbide cutter on the RCBS which is a huge help. I trim a case in 3-5 seconds with the RCBS.

I've been very happy with my Wilson trimmer. Downside = separate collets for each caliber and not super fast. Upside = precision and repeatability.

I am fortunate enough to have and use both the Giraud and Gracey case trimmers. Both are quality instruments that are precise and fast. The Giraud is the easiest to set up, by this I mean the quickest. My personal favorite is the Gracey, however. I find that I have more control of the debur and chamfor with its slightly more complicated cutter head. In addition the customer service from Match Prep - Gracey is excellent. They have a machinist that make a case holder for anything imaginable.
John

Gracey Trimmers

Giraud Trimmers

Forgot to mention, you can use the carbide cutters from Giraud in the Gracey fairly easily.
John

Last edited:
Go to MidwayUSA and search "Possum Hollow" case trimmer...Their trimmer fits over the neck and shoulder of the case. You also need to buy the "Possum Hollow" adapter that you put in a cordless drill....Now you can trim cases quickly with the drill! I really like mine! gobblr addict

RCBS trimmer, nice paddle handle, quick shell holder, pull the crank handle & put a drill on the end and BAM...power trimmer.
I did 1600 cases in 1.5 hrs on it yesterday. I rest my left forearm on the paddle, use my right hand to insert/remove cases & operate drill.

Originally Posted By: 5spdRCBS trimmer, nice paddle handle, quick shell holder, pull the crank handle & put a drill on the end and BAM...power trimmer.
I did 1600 cases in 1.5 hrs on it yesterday. I rest my left forearm on the paddle, use my right hand to insert/remove cases & operate drill.

Thats turning out one every 5.6 seconds for 90 minutes straight, impressive!

I have a Redding, Forester, and Wilson, I really like the Wilson. I see that C&H 4D has a trimmer much like the Wilson.

I keep them set up for a majority of my reloading. I load three wildcats on the 204 case so they are on the Wilson, same shell houlder, length and no pilots to change. The Forester I do the 22-25 and 250-3000. The Redding is set up for the 223 and 6x45. For everything else I use Lee trimmers and a electric drill.

AWS

Hold the phone, its been brought to my attention that my math skills are in need of a tune up.

90mx60s = 5400 seconds, 5400s/1600 is one every 3.37 seconds.

Thanks for all the PM's guys! I need to be set straight from time to time!

I don't really care if they are .0001 different. I use a lee cutter and pilot. Chuck it up in my drill press and use the top of my press table for the stop, not that screw on the bottom thing they sell. Cheap and really fast.

Someday I will have a Giraud.

Right now I use the RCBS Trim Pro with the motor. It's an okay unit, nothing spectacular.

I did 50 cases in 13-14 min. with it today........

I use rcbs trim pro and have for 5 years now with no problems. I dont have any exp. with any other brand to compare it to, but rcbs works for me!!

As to power case trimmers I have had the Dillon, the Gracey, the RCBS Trim Pro and now have a Giraud. Wish I had started there. For speed of production and accuracy nothing else comes close.
Charlie

Your problem is that not all case heads are of the same dimension, the collet is a multi dimension tool. To get accurate trimming you need a trimmer that does not use a collet to grab the case head. RCBS Pro trimer is what I went to.
Jim

Back