Just killed 4 coyotes one stand!

Ky-ote

In my 24 years of calling this is the first time I have killed 4 on one call when hunting by myself.
The area I was hunting is in behind some cattle ranches. I had a ranch hand stop and ask if I wanted to go in behind the ranch when he saw me coming back to the truck from a previous call. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth I said, SURE!!!!!!!

The road behind the ranch is only about three miles long and on the first call I called and killed a double, the second call a dead single, the third was empty and the fourth is the one the pictures are taken at.

On this call, the sun was at my back with just a light breeze in my face. The terrain is quite flat and visability is only about 50 yards in a good spot. I set the Loudmouth just 5 yards or so out front and was sitting under a big sage bush on my three-legged chair. Any coyote that would circle wide to wind me would not be seen but sometimes that's all you can do. I was looking for a dumb one.

1.jpg

This is the bush I was under. Three minutes into the call a double came trotting in like I pointed to the spot I wanted them! As I shot the first, the second turned but never made it. I was sitting there thinking how lucky I was that they didn't go downwind of me and at 8 minutes in trotted another and stood about a yard from one of the dead ones. That put the third on the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was just about to end the call and take a picture when the fourth one came sneaking in. I could hardly believe that I had just shot four coyotes with out even having to stand up. The closest was 15 yards and the longest was 28 yards. OK, I guess I better post the pics.

2.jpg

Note that I painted the antenna on the caller flourescent orange. Last time over I was afraid I might shoot it on the close in coyotes.

Quadpicturewithnumberstoidentifylocation.jpg

This is the same photo with numbers put above the coyotes. This is where they actually tipped over.

Putsidebysideforaphoto.jpg

I dragged them together here to take a better picture.

5.jpg

I hunted two days before my mule deer hunt and one day after I got my deer. Total this trip was 63 calls made, 26 coyotes called with 19 of those not bothering the ranchers any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

click image for details

That's just out of hand! I think you need some help! Buy me a ticket and I'll carry a rifle while you carry the shotgun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heck, I killed 2 in 2 days last October and thought I was doing good.

Congratulations Ky-ote. I really enjoyed the informative report. It looks like a crime scene with all those numbered signs and bodies. In hindsight I guess it was, because its a crime to kill that many coyotes in such a short period of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif - John

That was great only got 4 on one stand in my life and I had help.Good job!!!! Makes my post about the one that got away look ah ah whats the word I'm looking for?

AWSOME JOB !!!!! :eek:
Best i ever did was 6 on a stand but 4 of them were pups. I sure dont see any dumb pups in that picture . I would have just gone home and tried to relive that stand . What a Party !!!!! Hats off to you, YOU DA MAN !!!!! . Good shooting , Jerry .

That is really cool and congrats.

I myself have called in 6 coyotes and killed all six, from one stand. took me three years to do this, killed 4 singles and 1 double. Went home empty a few time also.Called and killed many other from different stands to boot.

Guess I like to stretch my action out abit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously you done good man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skinner 2

Edited so I didn't sound like the rookie it made me out to be.

Weasel-UT
I use my own calling with the 'Crit'r Call' that I recorded on the Loudmouth. I also use a grown jack sound sometimes but the Crit'r Call sound seems to be louder to my ears and this is really open country. These I killed with #4 Buck in a Remington SP-10. I had a Remington 22-250 rifle sitting beside me but when they cooperate like these four, the rifle just sits there leaning against a bush. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
songdogslayer
I don't use cover scent anymore. I used to but the coyotes still smelled me if down wind and I got tired of smelling skunk all day. If they are heading to the downwind side, I'll voice howl and they will almost always stop for a look. Once they get downwind they very seldom ever stop and run like they've been shot at. I think when you call in the really flat ground with no humps or bumps for them to get up on, they don't circle as far downwind. Either that or I'm just missing seeing a lot of them. :eek:

Ky-ote--Absolutely, unequivocably, utterly FANTASTIC!!!! You sure found a honey hole there!!! Thanks for the great photos and the pictures!!!

All I can say now is

WOW.gif

Wow,
Back in 93, me and a good friend Slim Pederson called up 5 at one location out in Billings Montana. I shot one and Slim got 2. We also called up 6 at one time in Texas. Slim got 2 I missed one twice. I Killed 3 out of 3 in Lycoming county PA once and 3 out of 4 in Louisiana two years ago. More times than not if I called up more than one it was two.
Great job! Talked to Johnny P a couple days ago. He had a Loudmouth contest going that kinda petered out when I go sick. Never really ended you could say, just was not being pushed. I think I will put some wood under the fire and get it going again.
So save those pictures.
Wayne

A quadruple with a SHOTGUN!!!! Never heard of it.....YOU DA MAN!!!

Did you show that hand how you did?

Thanks for the pics....they got my heart pumping!

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

All I can say is you stink! ....and of course you cheat!!!!

yes I am a tad bit jealous.

Great job, unbelieveable. I havent called up 4 coyotes in 4 years...let alone shooting 4.

Absolutely outstanding job, and great pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd given big bucks to have checked your blood pressure after that stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I wonder if you actually called in more than you saw because of the heavy cover?????

I guess it would be fair to say, keep calling after you shoot one, or two yotes, as there might me others inbound..LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Back