Sunday Services....

Curt Barrett

Did some calling Sunday. The morning started slow. Saw three coyotes in a group and tried to get in position to call them from the other side but it didn't pan out. Moved on. Made a couple more dead stands.

Then things started clicking. Had this customer come early in the stand. Glued to the Foxpro when he arrived, he didn't have a clue what was in store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This was a big and older coyote. Had some good teeth wear and some war wounds that showed he had seen a rodeo or two. He had an broken rear leg that had long since healed but was quite crooked. Also had one forked ear that was kind of unusual.

Coyote...

coyoteA10-3-04.jpg

Weird leg...This is looking at the leg from an angle that the leg should have been straight on a normal coyote.

Coyleg10-3-04.jpg

Weird ear...

coyear10-3-04.jpg

Moved to a new area. Next two stands produced a single at each. Yet another freak coyote. The larger one had not even a hint of a tail. Made a third stand. Had a triple show up. Got two out of the three. Adult male and a youngster.

Group photo...Notice the one at top with no tail.

coyotesB10-3-04.jpg

Moved to a new spot and got backdoored. My fault for breaking the crosswind rule and calling with the wind in my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was going to call it a day but decided to try one more stand at a good looking spot that was begging to be called. Had a youngster show up for some jackrabbit.

coyoteC10-3-04.jpg

Kind of a hot day but was well worth sticking it out. Six out of seven plus the three others in the morning that didn't end up responding. Can't get em' all.

Good hunting, Curt

WOW, what a day Curt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Great pictures too. Don't shoot all the coyotes to soon, you might want to hunt more later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, looks like that ole boy had stood his ground a time or three /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It was a male then?

Nice photos Curt, Weaz will love em!

Sunday services for the dearly departed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You had one heckuva day Curt! That kind of a day would make me break open the piggy bank and take the wife out to dinner. Unfortunately I've never had a day that successful, so the bank is safe.

You may need to rebarrel that 22.250 sooner than you thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, great calling, great shooting, and congrats on a fine day.

You may need to rebarrel that 22.250 sooner than you thought.
Speaking of getting the barrel a little warm, I've had worse days shooting prairie dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Way ta pile'em up, Curt!

Brad

YeeHaw! What a way to start the day, for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's just after 5:00 AM here. Good going buddy. The coyotes in that area must be a rough and tumble bunch as evidenced by the battle scars. Ya done good!

Damn Curt what a kick butt day. Great photos. Looks like you shot an old war horse in the first phote.

Great group photo too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Got you rifle dirty on this hunt......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

you never cease to amaze me curt that looks like it was a fun day, the coyotes just aren't responding that well here yet but don't worry it will all come with due time.

Hey Curt,
Where's the WT? We all know that a flimsy little Foxpro cannot call up all them critters!
Good day afield. Don't forget to thank the LORD for smiling upon you.

Thanks Jerry! Yeah, we will have to get together after deer season and bang some more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care, Curt

Back