When it all goes right and when it all goes wrong.

Yellerdog

When it all goes right.
Rick Robbins of RR Calls, better known as Bearmanric, came to Michigan to help us move our shop and spend some time working on new calls. We decided to do some hunting while he was here also.
Wednesday morning was a beautiful morning so we headed out to do one stand before getting to work. We went to a neighbors cattle ranch. I was going to call, so Rick set up behind me to watch the CRP field and the old railroad bed where they may approach. I was on top of a hill with a half mile stretch of pasture laid out before me, interrupted by a creek and trees about 150 yards out. I had a spectacular view as the sun rose to my right. I started the calling sequence with a couple of high pitched howls on one of Rick’s DA2 howlers and repeated the sequence a few minutes later. At approximately the 8 minute mark, I started the screaming on a YDD2 and did more of that until about the 12 minute mark. After a short break I did some estrus chirps on the [beeep] Talk. At the 15 minute mark I pulled out My YDH1 powered cow horn howler and let out some LOUD Alpha Male howls then went right back at the screaming with the YDD2. Immediately I spotted a coyote coming in from the far end of the pasture. All alone, lit up by the bright sunlight, coming in from a half mile away. What a pretty sight it was. On he came, as if being pulled on string. It doesn’t get any better than this I told myself. He came to the creek and disappeared in the trees. I readied the 204, steadied on the predator sniper styx and pointed where I thought he would reappear.
He popped out about 100 yards to the left of there. I quickly readjusted my aim and gently squeezed the trigger. I heard the tell tale thud and he burst off to my left. I shot one more unnecessary round at him as he ran out of steam and piled up just across the nearby fence row. After a few minutes more calling I whistled for Rick to come over and we gathered our trophy.
Rick was amazed at the size of the big eastern male, tipping the scales at 42 pounds.
We had left our cameras at the shop, so we each grabbed a hold and started the walk back to the truck.
We showed the rancher the big male and he was very happy.
After stopping by our house and changing out of our hunting gear, we headed off to work and to get a few pictures.
It was a fine morning and a good way to start Rick off on hunting Michigan Coyotes.

102_0654.jpg

102_0655.jpg

When it all goes wrong.
Saturday Morning Ron (Skinner2), joined Rick and I for some coyote calling.
We headed out before dawn to call a spot that we have killed quite a few coyotes at over the years (as well as missed a few). We needed to change the set up a little because there would be three of us, instead of the usual two. Knowing the usual travel route of these coyotes, I came up with a plan the night before and told Ron and Rick about it just before we arrived. The property has CRP on the high ground and a winding ridge with jutting fingers that contains twisting creek and a couple of small fields. It is sunken about 30 feet below the higher CRP.
I said I would call from the middle of the property, looking down the ridge into the thickets and the creek. Ron would set up to my left about 150 yards and Rick would be on my right about 200 yards. I figured with the wind direction, any incoming coyotes would loop right in front of one of them for an easy shot.
Ron said it was exactly what he was thinking and headed to the spot he knew well. I pointed Rick in the right direction and he was seated in no time. It would take me a little time to find a spot with a good view and some shooting lanes because we had never called from the middle before.
I arrived at the location and was surveying the scene for just the right spot when all of the sudden Ron starts out howling. I thought what the heck is he doing,
confused.gif
I‘m supposed to be calling, but had no choice but to sit down and try to be prepared. He went right into the screaming and in what seemed like no time a coyote burst out, just 10 yards away from me!
scared.gif
I was directly between it and Ron’s calling, so it was looking right at me.
ohmy.gif
My gun however was pointed 90 degrees away from it. I was already busted so I tried to spin for a quick shot. Mr. Coyote was far quicker though and was gone in a flash.
w00t.gif
I fired one shot at the streak that quickly disappearing, hitting nothing but air and then weeds.
Ron continued to call for a few minutes, thinking he was the caller all along.
After we finished the stand, I expressed my mild annoyance at his failure to listen properly to my plan.
cursing.gif

By the time we reached the truck it had become quite funny.
lol.gif
It was not very funny to at the time though.
thumbdown.gif

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee is picking on skinner2. They are hunting buds. Lee is a great caller . Loved herring him howling and such. They do great here on coyote's. Having a great time here. Cnced thunderdog toneboards yesterday. This week my new production calls. Then move the machinery. Won a spring bear tag. Will be usingy new closed reed and a DA1 YDD2 openreed. Going to be a great year. Rick

Nice coyote Lee. Remind me to let you do the calling. I don't wanna aggrevate you too much. LOL! Good looking coyote and great calling.

p.s. Where's the smile? You look like a serial killer in that pic. HA HA

Tom Austin

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceNice coyote Lee. Remind me to let you do the calling. I don't wanna aggrevate you too much. LOL! Good looking coyote and great calling.

p.s. Where's the smile? You look like a serial killer in that pic. HA HA

Tom Austin

Hey Tom,

That's my Bad A$$ Look.
Just getting ready for the hunt with Ron because I knew he would screw it up.
rolleyes.gif

[/quote]
Just getting ready for the hunt with Ron because I knew he would screw it up.
rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

Ha least this time you got to shoot. Next time I will put it in my lap and really make you whine
tt2.gif
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Least Rick is not crying as you pushed the coyote past him at Mach 2 and he didn't even have time to get the gun up.

Sheesssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Some guys will never be happy!
Nanner nanner nanner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skinner

Originally Posted By: randomshot Stories like that are better than a downed animal sometimes. I did say sometimes!

I will say this is a hunt all three of us will remember for the rest of our lives. LOL
lol.gif

I'm still trying to figure out how I can be in trouble for having a coyote stop 10 yards in front of a down wind shooter. After this stand I took the blame for everything else that went wrong even if Lee and Rick had to make it up!
grin.gif

Skinner

Back