VSSF II junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a VSSF II last fall in .204 Ruger that won't get with the program. I have upgraded the trigger (Jewell), firing pin (Tubb), spring (Tubb), tried 5 different bullets (all 32s), 7 powders, 2 primers (both BRs), 2 kinds of brass (including Norma), topped it with a 25X VX3 LR and shot on no wind days and the best 5 shot group is larger than 1.25" at 100 yards. Some groups were as large as 3.25" with the 40 V-max. My first VSSF in 223 shot .375" groups all day long, my second would shoot 5/8" all day long but this one is a mystery. Anyone else bought a bad Remi lately? I'm taking it to an authorized Remi repair center next Thursday. Thoughts?

Yikes!!!
Sounds like you got a stinker.
Fear not though, all the Savage/Tika guys will be along to say "I Told Ya So" shortly..

To be honest, I've yet to hear of that model not being accurate. Plus the fact that the 204 is about as easy to load for as it gets..
My first thought is usually a bedding problem but with that stock my money's on a bad chamber.
Please let us know how this washes, and even though I'm sure I don't have to say it, whatever you do don't send it in with that Jewell trigger..

I have a 204 in an sps varmit and it will shoot 32's about .75 to 1" but it loves 40's. It will shoot the 40's at around .25. I would try to shoot some 40's through it. I have had very good luck with the 40 gr BT in front of 25 gr of benchmark.

Originally Posted By: kdad73I have a 204 in an sps varmit and it will shoot 32's about .75 to 1" but it loves 40's. It will shoot the 40's at around .25. I would try to shoot some 40's through it. I have had very good luck with the 40 gr BT in front of 25 gr of benchmark.
The way I read it,, he tried 40gr V-Max and they were the worst of the bunch.

I think RePete is right. Sounds like you got a stinker. That gun should easily shoot better than what you are getting. I would get ahold of Remington. That gun is WAY too expensive to not shoot nice.

It prolly wont shoot with all the aftermarket stuff you put on it!

sorry had to say it

Anyway I have never seen a remington that couldnt shoot and I have been through a few dozen

I have a 204 sps 24" regular sporter weight and it eats up 45 gr softpoints all day long but wont shoot the lighter stuff( well I never put much time into them but enough to know it was more work than I wanted seeing it liked these heavy ones)

I have heard many times if it doesnt like anything try the 39 gr sierra some it just works in some guns

I see 2 options, dump another 2-300 bucks into it to get it shooting right or.......sell it, buy a Tikka and not put a dime into it and have it shooting MOA or better out of the box.

I'll save the "I told ya so"
smile.gif

The 40 V-max was the last bullet I tried, it shot the worst. For about $150 more I could have got a Cooper. Given that my X-mark pro wouldn't adjust to less than 5 lbs. (cheched on a Lyman digital) it would have been a draw. I wouldn't put that trigger on a my best sporter. I should request a new X-mark pro tigger while I'm at it...

I have the same gun (factory trigger) and it likes the 32 grain Noslers over 29 grains of TAC. See the photo below...fairly common results from this combination.

204002.jpg

bummer, I would take it to the repair center then. The deal with the trigger is weird my VSSF II came set at around 3.5 from the factory and it adjusted down below 2 with no problem. So I would ask for a new trigger.

Originally Posted By: warpig602I see 2 options, dump another 2-300 bucks into it to get it shooting right or.......sell it, buy a Tikka and not put a dime into it and have it shooting MOA or better out of the box.

You just couldn't help yourself could ya? If you haven't figured it out yet, haters of any one brand, quickly confirm themselves as being an ill informed joke.

You almost never see any Remington guys dogging on other brands in "other brands" threads. It's almost always the "other brand" guys spouting off about how great their $300 dollar rifle is and how Rem's are junk.

I challenge you to find one "other brand" thread where a Remington guy sidetracked it with boasts of Remingtons and knocks to the other brand.

Versus threads don't count.

I'm not picking on ya, but to me, it looks like some of you guys can't wait to see a Remington thread. Then you get all worked up, start frothing at the mouth, eyes roll back in your head, and the bs starts flying! I'm just trying to keep it real. Any REAL rifleman shoots them all. There's good and bad in ALL brands...no exceptions.

I have Savages too, and, trust me, they have their share of quality control issues too.

To the original poster:, look at it this way, if Remington takes care of you,[which they probably will], you'll still have a rifle worth twice as much as the Tikka or Savage mentioned above. And in 10-15 years, your Remington will still be worth something, the Tikka or Savage...not so much. Now that's keeping it real.

I know it's frustrating. Good luck.

Well, personally, I've seen about as many Remingtons shoot poorly as any other brand of the same price (including a Sendaro that was a scattergun). That shouldn't have gotten shipped, in my opinion.

Hopefully, the reason you bought a Remington is that they'll stand behind the product and make you happy.
If they do, you made a good choice.
If they don't, you learned an expensive lesson.

I don't think I've ever rooted against any hunter or any brand on this site, once. I've got opinions on what I prefer, personally, but that doesn't make anyone else wrong in their choice.

Hopefully, they take care of you. Good luck.
thumbup1.gif

Had better take your aftermarket stuff out before taking it in for repair. Any changes not done buy a certified Rem smith will proly void the warranty.

Quote"I don't think I've ever rooted against any hunter or any brand on this site, once. I've got opinions on what I prefer, personally, but that doesn't make anyone else wrong in their choice."Quote

I sure hope everyone doesn't come into this post and defend themself for something they haven't done. Guilty conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back