Remington buys Marlin

Mark2

I just heard this from a friend, it might be old news, but he told me that Remington is buying Marlin.

Mark2

Originally Posted By: mtcurmanI think that is fairly old news.

Sorry it was new to me.

Mark2
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark2Originally Posted By: mtcurmanI think that is fairly old news.

Sorry it was new to me.

Mark2
blink.gif

Oh,that's OK!!

I wonder what this will do to the production of Marlin rifles.
confused.gif

I've wanted to purchase a Marlin Cowboy 1895, in 45-70 for a couple of years. I hope this corporate purchase won't drive the prices up.
mad.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Cerberus bought the whole shebang awhile back.

The own Marlin, Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, H&R.

So far each company is operating under it's own management and sells products that way.

Barry

Quote:Marlin Firearms To Close Next Year
Company Opened In 1870

POSTED: 9:24 am EDT March 26,2010

NORTH HAVEN, Conn. -- Workers at the Marlin Firearms Co. in Connecticut say they've been told the 140-year-old company will close next year and all 265 employees will lose their jobs.

Workers at the North Haven company say they learned about the closure plans Thursday. They told local news media layoffs will begin in May and the company will close by June 2011.

Officials at Marlin and the company's owner, Madison, N.C.-based Remington Arms Co. Inc., didn't immediately return phone messages Friday morning. Remington Arms bought Marlin for nearly $42 million in 2007.

Marlin's Web site says John Marlin opened the company in 1870 in New Haven after having worked at the Colt plant in Hartford during the Civil War. The company says its lever action 22 repeater was a favorite gun of Annie Oakley.
Humors are the plant will relocate in N.C.. Para Ordnance just moved recently to the Charlotte area.

I had always looked at Marlin as building some great Lever rifles. I don't know their financial situation, but thought they had the Cowboy Action market cornered.
If anyone knows the specific reason(s) why they are closing, please post them.
This announcement came on the heels of the Health care nonsense passing..???? Wonder if the healthcare fiasco had anything to do with it???

Last edited:
Marlin isn't going out of business. They are closing the Conn. plant. and moving production elsewhere. Seems I heard a while back that they wanted to consolidate w/remington in NC.

Well,, health-care is probably indirectly related to it, but I doubt that the announcement is anything more than a coincidence.
Union's (with the Cadillac medical plans) are the reason firearms,, as well as other manufacturers,, are closing down in places like Con.
I'm sure they'll relocate in N.C. like Winchester and others that have been crippled by the unions have.
I'm not bashin Union members, just the thieves that run them, (which I don't see as any different than the thieves that run D.C.) so please keep it civil girls.
wink.gif

As far as price goes,, you can bet it'll drive up the price of the old "pre-Creberus" rifles.

To bad,,, another great Firearms Manufacturer consumed by Greed.
...........JMO.............

Originally Posted By: RiflemannWhy do big companies have to screw with a good gun maker???????????

In this case, as well as several others, it's not so much big business as it is Union's and/or local governments unhealthy business policy's. (Read Taxes)
If Marlin was making huge profits I doubt that they would have sold out.. Cerberus is simply a Corp. that buys business's that are in trouble and turn them around. They generally sell them within a few years, and could give a rip about the Heritage, just the bottom line..
Like it or not, unions and ever increasing taxes combined with industry choking environmentalists and unfair trade balances have alot more to do with Marlin's plight than Cerberus does..
It's all about greed and corruption.. AKA Hope and Change...

Originally Posted By: RePeteI'm not bashin Union members, just the thieves that run them, (which I don't see as any different than the thieves that run D.C.) so please keep it civil girls.
wink.gif

Don't get me goin' old man
laugh.gif

I actually agree with you. Our Executive Secretary-Treasurer has been in jail for some time now. This is only one little tip of the iceberg. There is much more to these stories. Lots of other stories too. It's kinda sad, as I know all these people personally. Greed is a dangerous thing.......

http://emlawcenter.bna.com/pic2/em.nsf/id/BNAP-6MGLM8?OpenDocument&PrintVersion=Yes

http://detroit.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel10/de011210a.htm

http://detnews.com/article/20070814/BIZ/708140392/Labor-bosses-don-t-share-workers--pain

Back