SCOPE Suggestions for 20" AR-15

Ranger260

Hi all! I am a 1st time poster here and was hoping to gain a different perspective from here....
I was hoping the forum could offer some suggestions for a scope for my new AR. First, a little background on me and my project. I am not new to the AR/M-16 platform, but this is the 1st time I have set up a rifle with optics. When I originally embarked on putting a rifle together, I was hoping to put together something between a predator rifle and a varmint rifle(accurate, but still light enough to carry), while being on a budget. Through the help of a friend and some of his connections, I ended up with something nicer than I budgeted for, but a little different than I intended.

The rifle: Rock River Varmint A4 upper, 20" SS barrel, 1:8 twist, 5.56/.223, Hogue free-float handguard, Mohawk lower, Rock River 2-stage trigger, Magpul PRS stock. The barrel was lapped by the person that assembled it.

I believe this rifle will make an excellent target/varmint (bench)rifle, with an occasional short jaunt away from the truck for predators (seems to balance well at this point despite its weight). What do you think would be a good scope and set of rings/mount to explore the potential of this rifle? Despite an appreciation for the finer things in life, I would like to try and keep the scope under $500 if feasible, as I have other projects I am working on. But I can be flexible. I need something that works, but it doesn't have to be top-end. BTW, this is my initial attempt at trying to learn long-range shooting techniques. I would eventually like to pick up a .308 bolt rifle (or larger) to continue with this endeavor.

As much as I would like to spend the big bucks, these are my initial thoughts:
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Mil-dot or Plex reticle
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, Nikoplex reticle, or mil-dot
Bushnell 4200 4-16x40, multi-X reticle, or mil-dot
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40, Nikoplex reticle, not sure I like 1/8 moa adjustments
Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V, .223 Ballistic X or Dual X reticle
Burris XTR rings, (what height would I need for my scope??)
Warne rings
Super Sniper rings

I am not sure what would constitute over-scoping or under-scoping this rifle. Of course I know it's not always the arrow...it's the Indian. Also, if you have any suggestions for a bipod and a durable, but not overly expensive case. I am thinking a Harris bipod and a case from Midway at this point. Any thoughts on Keng's Versa-Pod? I thought they looked pretty nice when I saw them at SHOT last year.

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

The one you have listed first would definitely be my choice. I've got that same scope, and I don't think they can be beat on their price, for their quality.

I would get the one with the side parallax adjustment though.
It's not light however. Matter of fact you may find another brand that is lighter, but this thing is built like a tank.

It will limit you to at least a 20" barrel, as it's way too much scope for any barrel less than 20".

Best money I ever spent on optics.

Hangtime

My Rock River wears a Leupold Mark 2 3-9x40.

056.jpg

100_0141.jpg

Almost the same scope as the newer Mark AR scopes. Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the Weaver. Good a glass as any, proven to be repeatable, and a fair price.

Look no further than Harris for a bipod.......

no offence, but i never will understand why someone would build a $1000+ rifle and say they were looking for a $500 or lower optic to top it with!

Shane,
Maybe you did not see what I wrote above. I never intended to build a $1000+ rifle. However I was lucky enough to get one and spend under $1k. My predicament has not changed money-wise...dumped my money into a much-needed new vehicle. So I have less money to play with. But I would still like to get a scope so I can start shooting. What I find interesting is the amount of people that consider a $500 scope CHEAP. There are good deals to be had out there...was hoping the forum could steer me towards one. Just like you can spend under 1 grand on a Savage or Remy, and still get the same accuracy as a rifle costing twice as much. BTW...no offense taken.

There is a whole lot bigger difference between a $100 scope and a $200 scope, or a $300 scope and $500 scope, than there is between a $500 scope and a $1000 scope, in most instances, IMO......

Quote:Burris XTR rings, (what height would I need for my scope??)

The highest ones they make. I believe that set makes them the same height as that P.E.P.R. one-piece mount. Be aware that those rings are a full 1" front-back, and with certain scopes, you might have problems (turret interference).

I'd pick one of the 4-16X scopes for the predator/varmint compromise. I have a Monarch 4-12 (before they came out with this model) and I'm okay 4X low end, 12X is a little lacking for some of the situations I've been in on small varmints.

Monarch, Weaver and 4200 are all nice scopes.
thumbup1.gif

I'd go mil-dot, unless I planned to laser the shots and dial up, it's hard to guess hold-overs with a crosshair/plex.

I'm using a Leupold 4.5x14x40AO scoped I picked up used locally for a good price. Being a VX-III leupold will upgrade reticles and target knobs if I decide to upgrade the scope.

Evil Lurker...thanks....good information. Doesn't sound like you are a fan of the PEPR one-piece mount. Those LaRue mounts look sweet, but they are steep...seems to be overkill for a scope I will not remove.

Tuco, the custom upgrades make Leupold attractive...I just keep hearing that you pay for the name with them.

Quote:Doesn't sound like you are a fan of the PEPR one-piece mount.

Huh?
No, actually I'd get that before I would go with rings. I don't own one, but everything I've read, there's not been a single problem. I do own XTR rings, so I was just warning you what to watch for before you buy.(that you can still get proper eye relief without crashing the turrets.)
The PEPR has a forward offset and the same 1" front-back ring thickness. There's a good chance you'll need that forward offset, especially if you shoot nose-to-charging-handle.

Harris bi-pod, and get the pivoting model so you can take the cant out, unless you only ever plan on using it off of a perfectly flat surface. I also have the other (non-pivoting)type, and it isn't much good for using off uneven ground (but it's lighter weight). I like the notched legs a lot better than the screw-adjust, too.
I'm using the S-LM (9-13") or S-BRM (6-9"), personally.

If you buy straight from Harris, the prices are pretty good and I got my last one delivered within a week.

On the Harris site, the codes are all different than in their advertising
crazy.gif

The S-LM (from their flyer) is the HBLM-S (on their site)
The S-BRM is the HBR-S

BR=6-9"
L=9-13"
M=leg notch
S=swivels
(They could have put that code on their web page somewhere and made it simple, but noooo!)
grin.gif

Just make sure you put a QD stud on the float tube, at least 1 1/2" back from the fore end, before you assemble it, because it's a pain to do later.

Last edited:
What do you want to spend on mounts? Have you heard of Larue? They sit on top of all mine....it's the same mount in the photos posted by 2muchgun.

I'd try and find some glass in the 4-20 power range for your wants. All scoped you've listed are great. I have multiple 4200's and a 6500 that I enjoy.

i have good luck with my loopy 3x9 mark ar/PEPR mount. if your going to shoot 55grainers, you just dial in the yardage EG: 2=200 yrds....3=300 yrds, etc. i use it as a midrange gun so a 3x9 suits me fine.

sorry bud, but the rra rifles that i have seen in that config. are right at the 1k mark, and i totally know were your coming from w/ not having funds, i just have never scoped something cheaply, and not regreted it, save the money till you got enough for something quality, example- 10 years ago i splurged $1600 on a weatherby 30-378, wanted to shoot it something bad, but had to wait for the funds to put a decent glass on it, finally got $ for a 1k+ zeiss, only regret is that that rifle sells 4 1400 now and the scope you can find for 800 all day long......

Just goined in and seen your topic if you can weight nikon is coming out with a m-223 is set to hit store shelves next month that is calebrated for the 223 ar platform should retail around 450. u can check it out on nikons web site might b the ticket

I too think the vortex viper series are a very good buy. Liberty Optics has
been selling them for 4.5 years without a comeback he says. From everyone
I've seen post on him he is straight up so I doubt it is bs. I have one in a
3-9x40 and it compares to a vx-111 in every way but weight. I put it at about
2 ounces heavier. The bdc reticle is 1.5, 4.5, 7.5 and 11.0 moa on drop and
3.6 and 7.2 moa on windage. For well under 300.00 with an unconditional
warranty they are tough to beat in value. I should go out and do a box test
and report back I guess. Also they are made in the P.I. so no sending bucks
to china on the deal.

Get the best glass you can afford or save awhile and get a good one. glass is the heart of the rifle as far as im concerned. Your rifle is no good if the scope losses zero or wont hold zero. no matter what you want to eliminate all variables for something to go wrong. Same with mounts get the best you can. I see so many people skimping on this and that then later down the road they end up with the good quality stuff any way. So you can save your self money and headaches by doing it right the first time

I guess I have a different outlook on the scope/mount thing.
First, I assume most people have a budget (if not, lucky you).
Let's say it's $800, for example.
Is it smarter to put $200 into the mount and $600 into the scope, or $75 into the mount and $725 into the scope?
I don't see something like a PEPR shifting around and opening up your groups (heck, my $60 Model One shot sub-MOA groups, and it's about as cheap as you can go).
If it's already rigid, throwing more money at it is a waste.
If I put the money into the scope, assuming I make an intelligent choice, I get a better optical image and more precise adjustments. That actually improves my shooting.
I know which way I'm going on that one.
Not knocking LaRue, but you can get just as much accuracy a lot cheaper.
If your budget is even less than $800, it makes even more sense.

I bet I get some hate over this one.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Back