Should I get a .243 win or .25-06?

Z71Chevy

I want to get me a small to "middle of the road" rifle. I am thinking either .243 win or 25-06. I don't rifle hunt for deer much because I can't where I live. I only go up north rifle hunting for a long weekend. So it would mostly be for varmints. I don't reload and the longest shot I could get here is proly 250 yards. What say you?

well i have a .243 that i use for pretty much coyote only. its a little big and much recoil for anything smaller. and you definately dont need anything bigger. so if its coyote your after that may be the ticket. for deer id probably want someting bigger [beeep]. what do you plan on shootin?

I plan on shooting (hopefully) all varmints and your occasional deer. I moslty bowhunt for deer because I can't use rifles on deer where I live.

Are you shooting varmints or predators? Lots of people call predators, varmints. So with that said. If you are going after coyotes and stuff that is that sized, I would go .243, since you said you won't be hunting deer. Now if you are planning on varmints like prairie dogs, woodchucks, etc... I would look into a smaller caliber like a 22-250 or something. I actually am a real big fan of the 25-06 but it seems a little overkill for just a coyote gun. JMO

Lots of ammo choices with the .243. I really don't have any first hand experience with a 25-06.

After much research for many the same reasons you have, I bought the .243 and couldn't be happier.

I have the same situation and it was between 25-06 and .243. I mostly hunt coyote but it would be nice if I had the option of useing it for big game rarely.

I usualy see .243 at wally world never 25-06. Thats a big factor even though I buy online its nice to be able to find it easily.

So i picked .243

thumbup.gif

NO such thing as "TOO DEAD"...the 25/06 will do everything that little one will do and more...however since your not a handloader you won't have much of a choice with the 25/06..maybe you should get into handloading and you'll be able to taylor everything you own to specific situation, especially with bullets...

Flip a coin. I have both. Shoot them both on yotes. Only differences that I notice are the 25-06 is a heavier gun, but not by much, and the recoil on the 25-06 is alot more but it's not that bad, and finally reloading it takes more powder to reload the same amount of shells. But it's no big deal if you don't reload. I don't carry the 25-06 that much anymore because there are too many other guns in the safe. But it is still in the truck everytime.

Back