This mornings hunt - (Part 2)

Weasel-UT

Second Coyote
This stand was on the side of a hill, in a wide draw where I had a good view of the opposite hillside that had been burned and a saddle off to my right. The saddle dropped off into a fairly large canyon with a few smaller side canyons in it. I would be able to see anything coming from any direction just as long as they didn't sneak into the bottom of the draw and come right up the hillside I was sitting on. Guess what? That's exactly what this coyote did! :rolleyes: I had just ended my first set on the THO call and this danged coyote popped-up ten feet off of my left shoulder and was running right at me! I had my rifle laying on my lap with my right hand resting on the bolt handle. The barrel was pointed at the coyote, sort of. :rolleyes: The coyote slammed on the brakes at five feet from the muzzle. I measured it! It was five freaking feet! :eek: I dropped my finger into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger with my rifle still in my lap. I figured I was going to splatter it's brains all over me, but I missed, duh! The coyote stood there for a second before fleeing. I suppose the muzzle blast deafened it and possibly blurred it's eyesight momentarily. I was shooting my .243. Well, when I racked the bolt, the coyote decided to give me a running shot and took off. I swung on it, pulled the trigger and all I heard was a loud click. I worked the bolt again and all I got was another click when I pulled the trigger. I looked at the rifle and my floor-plate was open and all of the cartridges where on the ground! Apparently, when I pulled the trigger with the rifle lying in my lap, my finger hit the floor-plate release because I didn't have a grip on the rifle. I grabbed a round off the ground, wiped it off, dropped it into the chamber and took a poke at the now fleeing coyote. I missed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif All this time I was lip squeaking as loud as I could. I grabbed another cartridge off the ground, wiped it off, dropped it in the chamber and took another shot. Twack! Nailed it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I couldn't believe my luck. At this point the coyote was 150 yards plus. Everything happened so fast, I didn't really have time to think. After rolling the coyote I just stood there dumbfounded. Everything that could have gone wrong did and I still got the coyote.
I remembered to get the call in the photo this time.
2ndkill9-25-04.jpg

As you can tell from the photo, by the time I connected, the coyote had made it to the area that hadn't burned.

Third Coyote - Three stands in a row

This stand was similar to the previous stand in that it was a burned area, but it was flanked on two sides by brush. I hope to have an ecaller someday for these areas because you could set them up at one side of the burn, hide on the other side and shoot the coyotes when they circle down wind of the call. They'd have to come out into the burn to get downwind of the call and they wouldn't be right in my face like this one and the last one was.
I had to sit next to a real small creosote bush and yucca for this stand. The only thing blocking my panoramic view was another yucca and a small dead bush just in front and to the left of me. I started in with the bunny blues on the THO call. It was 15-18 minutes into the stand and I started thinking about getting up when I noticed a coyote was sneaking up on me. It had it's head down low and was keeping the small bush between itself and me. This coyote was staring right at me through the bush and I couldn't move without spooking it. The bush was only 10 feet away and the coyote was getting close. I gave a lip squeek as I raised my rifle and she took off right out into the burn area. I squeeked again and she stopped at exactly 100 paces away. When I pulled the trigger it was lights out for this coyote. The two previous coyotes were pretty torn up from the 85 gr, HPBT but this one was a larger bodied animal. She had a small entrance wound and the bullet didn't exit.
Here's the third coyote.

3rdyote-29-25-04.jpg

I figured that three coyotes on three consecutive stands was a good sign and I want to save a few to share with other folks that might want to come hunting so I headed home. It wasn't even lunch time yet, but it was getting pretty hot out there. Thanks to all of you folks here for inspiring me to get back at these coyotes and thanks to TheHuntedOne for such a great call.

Now I don't know wether to say you lucky s.o.b. or mannnn that was a hulleva good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You just answered the question I asked you over in the part one post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you were blessed on this hunt.

I'll bet you could've scored with a weedeater on the next stand if you wanted to.

Brad

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif HehHehHeh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif How's that saying go? Even a blind pig can find a few mushrooms? I'm still shaking my head and laughing about this morning.

Why dont ya just start carrying your ammo in your teeth wild man? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For a guy that likes photos you sure know how to take some good ones. Those are the best poses Ive seen yet. That first one looks like he is looking at that call thinking "you sob". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

REALLY nice photos and a great story to go along with them. Those coyotes sure look healthy!

Keep after 'em and keep postin' those pics!

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Weasel,
Great pics and story. I was just down in your neck of the woods a week ago. My job lets me travel over most of the state. I have never hunted south of Cedar City, but as I was driving in the Hurricane area my eyes were moving and my mind was wandering. Just want to wait about another month for a little better fur. What a great morning. It doesn't get any better than that.

Great job, Weasel! Wow! I've always wanted to try taking a shot at a coyote from the hip. I can't believe you tried it. Way to go. Thanks for the pics.

Originally posted by Joel Hughes:
[qb]I've always wanted to try taking a shot at a coyote from the hip. I can't believe you tried it. Way to go. Thanks for the pics.[/qb]
If that coyote had taken one more step, it would have caught that bullet right in the head.
Years ago I had one right at the end of my barrel and was going to pull the trigger, but I knew I'd get splattered. As it was, I still got the coyote and it was a club (CVCA) hunt.

Way to go Weasal. You're a pretty good story teller, had me sitting on the edge of my seat, and I can just picture a guy trying to pick up rounds out of the dirt, one at a time, and then trying to get another poke at a fleeing coyote. Made my heart rate increase just reading about it. Now better lay off them dogs, and give them time to get thier winter pelts on before you kill'em all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Weasel-UT-- Just finished reading parts 1 and 2. You done good, Pilgrim!!! You had me hanging on your every word. Felt I was right there with you. Excellent narrative and SUPER GOOD photos. Keep up the good work. Man, 3 coyotes in a row. I can hardly wait for the hides to prime up so I can go try to whack 'em and stack 'em like you did.

...before you fired the first shot, in each instance, did you consider taking them prisoner???

After all, at those distances, you probably could have.

As I have done, you fired a warning shot to give the first one a sporting chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL

Great story.

Weasel from all the time you spend on here lookin at pics and writing your awesome stories , i didnt think you actually hunted coyotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif no man im just teasing, its great to see you got out there and connected, hopefully ill be able to do the same soon, theres a pair hanging around my archery stand..

Justin

Well, I had a rented vehicle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I haven't had a car or truck of my own since Feb. I have to return the rented SUV tomorrow so I'll be sitting home again, I guess.

Weasel,I've got to tell you that is one great hunt you had for yourself.Great pictures(dont worry Your showing me how its done).#1 take your camera :rolleyes: .And a great narration of your whole hunt.You might as well not go out any more though,you have your quota all used up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .Take care and go get um.oh thats right you already did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back