This mornings hunt - (Part 1)

Weasel-UT

I went, I called, they came, I whacked 'em!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Three coyotes bite the dust!
I got up this morning and went out by myself. After a couple of unproductive stands in thick brush, I drove to an area where I had better visibility. I tucked up tight into a juniper and started playing the blues on my THO call. Thanks Al (TheHuntedOne) Woodard! After a couple of minutes and two sets on the call I spotted a coyote in the draw I was watching and she was coming fast. I brought my rifle up so I could shoot her in the bottom. Not her butt, the bottom of the draw! :rolleyes: I didn't want her to get on the hill I was sitting on because it was thick with low brush. No deal! She was coming so fast she made the hill before I got the crosshairs on her. I pointed the rifle at the spot I figured she'd come out at and gave a couple of lip squeaks. Bam! She popped out at 15 feet away and I gave her a dose of lead poisoning. The first photo is taken from where I sat when I pulled the trigger. You can see by the blood that it was a heck of a hit.
Firstblood9-25-04.jpg

The very top of the photo shows the bottom of the draw she came up.

This is the juniper I sat in. I was tucked in on the left side as you look at it.

FirstHide9-25-04.jpg

This is the first coyote of the day.
FirstKill9-25-04.jpg

I haven't done the shooting when out calling for a long time. I really didn't think I'd get nervous or excited. I gotta tell ya'll, I 'bout messed myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif It happened so quick and she was so close that I was shaking like a dog passin' peach pits! I had to laugh at myself because I haven't had this feeling for a long time. When I shoot a deer, elk, antelope or whatever it's old hat. I think you good folks here have gotten me fired up again and I thank you all for that. It was a good feeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now on to part two. I promise to keep it short. Well, shorter. Well, as short as I can! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Weasel, great story and pics. Gave a good perspective of your stand. Man that looks like some of the terrain here. Nice work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You spread him out like Tularosa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great shooting there Weasel. Its fun to actually get to kill one. :rolleyes: Heck the next one for me I might hafta smear blood on my cheeks. :eek:

Well, you did a fantastic job on the illustration as well as the description.

You own a shotgun right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brad

Man, looks like that coyote has a pretty thick coat on him already. Some how I knew you you would post pictures to go along with your story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Thanks for both and good going on your hunt.

Brad, Yeah I have a shotgun, it's a Remington 11-87 Special Purpose, 12 gauge, 3" mag. I mounted a Bushnell Holo-Sight on it. It has a Pattern Master choke tube and I have a couple of boxes of Federal 3" #4 buck to shoot out of it. I figure it's good out to 50 yards or so. Yep, I was wishing I had it in my hands instead of leaving it at home. It would have been more usefull on each stand. As it was, I felt like the Keystone Cops of predator hunters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great pictures and great story! Made me feel like I was right there with ya.

I've been itching to get out and do some calling, but have been too busy at work trying to get ahead because I'm headed out next Tuesday for 10 days of hunting deer in the Bookcliff's with a muzzleloader. I can't wait!

I've got a couple of coyotes close to home that I need to see if I can put the hurts on. Last Friday morning at about 4:30 they woke me up howling and carrying on. Sounded like they were just outside the window. My wife's afraid they're gonna snatch her cat......wouldn't hurt my feeling if they did.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A good hunter/photographer would have set the timer and gotten in on the pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good going there Weasel.

Damn Weasel, you don't post photos much and I wanted to see the pictures. All I have at my end is Red XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Both part 1 and 2......

Weasel the darn XXXXX'S took over. :rolleyes:
Would have loved to have been there to watch the shakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Good job.

Back