Which scope for my Bushmaster predator?

NCVARMINT

Hello all,
I am building a bushmaster predator ar-15.
I am thinking of these scopes
Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 AO Target $550

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 AO Target EFR $750

or the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 AO $600

I am going to plink and varmint hunt with this setup. My shots will be 100 to 400 yards, most being in the 200 yard range. I would like to spend less if i can. Is the 6-18x40 a good sciope or is the VX-III line that much better

thanks for all help
trevor

I think you are going to find that anything stronger that a 4-16x is going to be too strong and won't allow you to find a fast moving target very easily...

I realize that your ideal shot will be with the Coyote standing perfectly still and broadside to you, but once they stop, they may only hold up for a couple of seconds while determining if they want to continue on in, run away, or circle around more, testing the wind...

Personally, my hunting rigs have either a 2-7x , 3-12x (both ARs), or 2.8-10x scope on them, and I keep them set at the lowest power...and only crank them up if I have no other choice..

I think you would have better luck with something in the 3-9 or 4-12 (or 4-16 if you could stand a Nikon Monarch).
You say your shots will be 100 to 400, but I'd be willing to bet you'll sometimes have one get inside 30 yards before you see it.
wink.gif

6X is tough to use at that range, unless you really shoot a LOT and it becomes reflexive.

Out of the ones you listed, 4.5 - 14 will work best, in my opinion. I run a 4 - 12 and it hasn't cost me a shot yet.

If you're going to only plink and varmint hunt the scopes you suggested are fine. However, "predator" hunting for yotes and fox will be tricky if they come in close. You didn't mention using this gun as a calling gun though.

My favorite do all is in the 2.5-10 power range in a 40 mm objective.

Quote:You didn't mention using this gun as a calling gun though.

Oh, good point. Maybe I misunderstood you. If you're not using it as a calling rifle, you can get away with a higher minimum power. I was automatically thinking "predator calling", my bad.

Well, i am going to hunt groundhogs and crows, but may call with it also, could get the 4.5-14x40 to use and set on 4.5 power, or save up and get a VXI 1-4x20 to call with this winter.

Trevor

If you're after varmints vs predators go with the higher magnification. My son has a VXII 6-18X that works excellent for him. He just put down a 3" 750 yard group with it this morning. (No kidding. Three shots.) I've got two VXIII 6.5-20X's that work excellent also. The VXIII's have the side-focus which is handy but if you want an AO, you'll have to go with the VXII or the VXIII EFR. The VXIII LR or VX3 LR also have more internal adjustment if you want to stretch the range way out there.

If you want something to call with and shoot varmints, buy my Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X listed in the classifieds!
wink.gif

I think your on the right track thinking 6x18 or 4x16 for chucks, pd's and crows then switch out to a 1x4 or 1.5x6 for calling.

I don't hunt little critters but do use larger power scopes for paper and load develoment and hunt with 1x4 and 1.5x6's.

AWS

Back