.458 SOCOM effective range and any good groups?!?!

woodshed

Okay, so I bought a .458 SOCOM upper and have a bunch of SBR 300gr Barnes Tac TSX ammo on the way, what kind of groups are guys getting with this setup? Any feedback on effective range for whitetail or feral hogs? I am coming from smokeless muzzleloading and would like to know how much range I am giving up and how accurate this setup can be. My smokeless was a Savage Henry Ball 10ML-II with custom stock shooting 250 SST's over 14/61 duplex at about 2550 fps, great 250 yard setup. Am I cutting my range in half, is it gonna put three into an inch at 100 yards like my savage would? Also, what scope setup are you guys using for the SOCOM? Any info would be greatly appritiated.

Scott

They guarantee a 1 1/2 MOA at Rock River. Also have read that 1" groups are easily obtained. I'm sure there are lots of variables..........but what a beast!

That depends on you, the shooter.

Think bout this in another way- You have a 300 grain 45 cal projectile goin 1900 fps. You are going to put a whuppin on whatever you hit, You just need to get out and shoot the thing to make sure you can hit stuff with it.

A generic ballistic chart says that if your dead on at 150 youll be 2.5 high at 100 and 7 low 200. Not exactly a friggin lazer, but definately doable.

What was the deciding factor for the 458 SC as opposed to other large bore variants?

Price. I bought a brand new, unused first run RRA .458 SOCOM upper for $600. Couldn't pass it up at that price and .458 SOCOM is legal for Indiana deer so it was an easy decision. I also picked up a nearly new, shot 50 times Predator Pursuit for $900 off of Gunbroker, nice varmint/deer package. Just wanted some feedback from people that have actually shot the SOCOM, not just regurgitated secondhand stuff from people that haven't even seen one before. Thanks for the insight.

Scott

Thats not a bad price.

I went the 450 bushmaster route. Either way- lotsa thump. What Im finding out is a 50 yard zero with reloads puts me about 3 inches high at 100 and while I havent shot paper with it past that I have a 12X12 steel plate at 200 yards that Im able to hit pretty consistantly. Biggest set back there is Im using an EOtech. Hard to do any precise work with that one.

If you reload, maybe droppin back to the 250 gr barnes would pep up the speed and get you a little flatter trajectory.

Realistically, neither are what I would label as long range cartridges. We are flinging ping pong balls downrange.

As far as accuracy, Id be disapointed if it wasnt a shooter. RRA makes very reputable stuff. Biggest factor there is knowin your gonna get smacked hard everytime you pull the trigger.

I hear ya. The 450 Bushy would be way more cnvenient for me, cheaper ammo and more abundant in my area but not legal for deer. Looks like the .458 SOCOM shooting the 300gr Barnes TTSX zeroed at 100 will be about 13.5 inches low at 200 and dropping fast after that. Verify range and wind, aim a foot high of the boiler room and you are having venison for supper for the next few months. I primarily bought it because of the availability of a second shot if the first goes astray and how great it will be hunting the thick pines and thickets around our farm. I doubt I would take a shot over 200 yards, even if conditions were optimal, too many variables and too many other der to take a chance wounding one. I'm after meat primairly and trophy secondary.

Scott

Back