How accurate is your Cooper?

Add me to the list of happy Cooper customers. I have a model 22 Phoenix in 6mm Remington. Shoots sub 1/2" with ease. Took my first hog with it. Best rifle on the market for the price, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: tt35Claimbuster:
w00t.gif
w00t.gif
! Forget the gorgeous wood--look at those groups!

Sorry to say it, but not all of my Coopers shoot as well as this one.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI had a gorgeous Montana Varminter in 204, grip cap, fluted barrel, it was a peach. I got rid of it after putting 100 rounds thru it. Not that it wouldnt shoot, it would put 5 into .3~.4 but I didnt like the barrel heat issue it had. Seemed like 8 shots or so and it was time to put it down.

It still is a peach.
thumbup.gif

I liked it so much I bought another just like it in .223
Both will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI can get a 32gr bullet going 3700fps with a mild load in a 20VT. Thats nothing to scoff at when only burning 17gr of powder.

The 17FB rocks on pd's though, everyone needs a 17 anyways

FH...it does hurt that your 20 VT has a fair piece of glass on it too
smile.gif

Oh yea and a fine stick of wood wrapped around it.

Since we seem to have settled the isssue of Cooper accuracy and derailed this thread already.....

How many loadings are you .17FB fans getting out of a case? I would think cases for that little gem would load almost indefinitely. If my calculations are correct, I can reload the FB for about the same money that I can buy .17 HMR's on sale if I don't count the brass. Looks like a perfect sage rat cartridge to me. One day a .17FB Dakota Predator will grace my bench!
thumbup1.gif

Hawkeye: The Cooper barrel is a little lighter than the VSSF and the Sav M12 so, all else equal, it will probably heat up a little quicker. I haven't had much issue with barrel heat in my .204's. I'm sure it will happen with sustained rapid shooting but we tend to spot for each other and alternate shooting. In any case, my .204's heat up much more slowly than my .22-250's.

Quote: One day a .17FB Dakota Predator will grace my bench!

I will tell you right now...... its money well spent! They are a fantastic rifle.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: FurhunterI can get a 32gr bullet going 3700fps with a mild load in a 20VT. Thats nothing to scoff at when only burning 17gr of powder.

The 17FB rocks on pd's though, everyone needs a 17 anyways

FH...it does hurt that your 20 VT has a fair piece of glass on it too
smile.gif

Oh yea and a fine stick of wood wrapped around it.

Iam a sucker for a nice stick-a-wood!

Heres some more AAA grade Walnut
MTV 221FB
DSC00475.jpg

Originally Posted By: BitmanOriginally Posted By: FurhunterI had a gorgeous Montana Varminter in 204, grip cap, fluted barrel, it was a peach. I got rid of it after putting 100 rounds thru it. Not that it wouldnt shoot, it would put 5 into .3~.4 but I didnt like the barrel heat issue it had. Seemed like 8 shots or so and it was time to put it down.

It still is a peach.
thumbup.gif

I liked it so much I bought another just like it in .223
Both will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

Good the hear it, that rifle had some nice fiddle back on the under side of the forearm, pretty rifle for sure. Glad your still happy with it!

Back