Benelli Patterning Test Results

VolCrew

Background

Before we get started, let me first give credit to GC for his “NEW shotgun Pattern Test Results” thread in which he tested two shotguns, three distances, two chokes and two shots each of four loads. For those of us who have never undertaken such comprehensive testing, it is easy to underestimate the investment of time and money that is required to make it successful.

There are significant differences in what GC accomplished and the more limited scope that I am going to show you. I only used one shotgun, two chokes and three loads. For you Six Sigma enthusiasts, I violated much of my training during this exercise. The variables were not randomized. I shot all the 25 yard targets, then moved to 40 yards and, finally, 50 yards. I only shot one shell per choke per distance so the confidence interval may be suspect due to the small sample size. Nevertheless, the results are what they are and for the time and money I spent, I learned a lot about these particular combinations.

I did, however, duplicate some of GC’s techniques so my results may be more easily compared. I shot the same three distances: 25, 40 and 50 yards. I also used a target of the same size. Starting with a standard A-25 small bore rifle target, I separated the bulls into three individual targets, each with an 8” black center and 12” scoring rings.

Obligatory Soapbox

Although I imitated GC’s methodology for patterning my shotgun, I would not attempt to leverage his results directly to the field. You should always understand what your gun will do with the particular choke and load combination you intend to use before you go hunting. You might find a good starting point from GC’s work, then go shoot it yourself. Likewise, you might see something you like here and save yourself a few bucks by starting with the same gun/choke/load combination. But the point is to shoot it; it is good practice and you will learn something, even though the learning may be to avoid a combination or to limit your shots to a certain range.

Shotgun

The test shotgun was my Benelli M4 in Desert Camo (11717). It has a 12 ga 3” chamber and an 18.5” barrel.

The Benelli’s sights are ghost ring, but for this test, the R-15 loaned its EoTech 555. This helped eliminate my old eyes as a source of error with the ghost rings. However, it was not possible to get the proper cheek weld due to the height of the EoTech on the Benelli rail and that made it more uncomfortable to shoot.

DSC07349.jpg

Chokes

I used a couple of chokes I picked up on sale in Cabela’s Bargain Cave in Buda. I was looking for something tighter than my stock Benelli modified (0.705” bore) so I could shoot predators.

In the photo below, the left choke is Carlson’s Extended Turkey choke. The bore measures 0.665”.

On the right is Carlson’s Dead Coyote! choke. The bore measures 0.663”.

Both chokes are externally identical. They are not ported and extend about .87” past the barrel.

DSC07513.jpg

Loads

Federal Premium 3” #4 Buckshot (P158 4B) is shown below. This load is copper-plated lead with 41 pellets. The factory velocity is 1100 fps.

DSC07508.jpg

Environ Metal 3” Hevi-Shot T was also used. This load is listed as 1.5 oz of shot with 1300 fps.

The quality problems with Hevi-Shot have been well documented on the forum. However, I had this box before I learned about the problems. I could not find a lot number on the box I have.

DSC07511.jpg

Finally, I shot Federal Power-Shok 2.75” 00 Buckshot (H132 00). This is a 9 pellet load leaving the muzzle at 1140 fps. This is defensive load that I use for shotgun practice.

DSC07510.jpg

I wanted to get some Remington HD BB loads, but could not find any in time for this testing. None of these loads are available in my area and I have to order everything I use.

Part 2 of 4

25 Yard Pattern Results

Turkey Choke

The Federal 4B put 14 in the black, 4 more within the 12” ring for a total of 16 hits.

DSC07494.jpg

Dead Coyote! T produced good results with 18 in the black, 20 outside the black inside the 12” ring for a total of 38 hits. It looks like it is stratified slightly high.

DSC07492.jpg

The Federal 00 B load placed only two in the black and six overall.

DSC07493.jpg

Dead Coyote! Choke

With the DC! choke, the Federal 4B put another 14 in the black plus 7 for a total of 21 hits within the 12” ring. It looks stratified to the right slightly.

DSC07497.jpg

The Dead Coyote! T looked even better with the Dead Coyote! choke, landing 28 in the black plus 14 for a total of 42 hits. At 25 yards, the T load was the clear winner with both chokes.

DSC07495.jpg

Finally, the 00B put 5 in the black and 7 of 9 pellets within the 12” ring with the DC! choke.

DSC07496.jpg

Part 3 of 4

40 Yard Pattern Results

Turkey Choke

The Federal 4B had 6 black hits plus 1 for a total of 7 hits.

DSC07500.jpg

The Dead Coyote! T produced a good pattern with 12 black hits plus 11 for a total of 23.

DSC07498.jpg

At this range, the Federal 00B had no black hits with either choke so I am not including those targets.

Dead Coyote! Choke

The Federal 4B had only 2 black hits plus 4 more within the 12” ring.

DSC07502.jpg

The Dead Coyote! T again bested the Federal 4B with 6 black hits plus 6 more for a total of 12.

DSC07501.jpg

Part 4 of 4

50 Yard Pattern Results

Turkey Choke

Hits were few and far between at 50.

The Federal 4B had 2 black plus 4 for a total of 6 hits.

DSC07504.jpg

The Dead Coyote! T put 7 in the black plus 7 for a total of 14 hits.

DSC07503.jpg

Dead Coyote! Choke

The Federal 4B had 2 black plus 2 for a total of only 4 hits.

DSC07506.jpg

The Dead Coyote! T placed 12 in the black plus 4 more for 16 total hits.

DSC07505.jpg

Analysis

As always, when the data are reviewed, there are things that stand out. A few observations from these limited results:

At 25 yards, all the loads and chokes are more than sufficient. The Dead Coyote! load and Coyote! choke combination seems a bit better than the Dead Coyote! load and Turkey choke combination.

I also notice that DC’s target #3 DC-T/Tactical/.680” was almost identical to my DC-T/DC choke combination.

The 40 yard results are most perplexing to me; I would like to shoot these again. Unlike the 25 yard result, the DC-T/DC choke combination was not as good as the DC-T/Turkey combo. Both the DC-T and the Fed 4B should still be lethal with the Turkey choke.

Again, in comparing to DC’s results, target #8 DC-T/Tactical/.680” was almost identical to my DC-T/Turkey choke combination.

At 50 yards, the DC-T load remains lethal with either choke, but now the DC choke again looks better within 8” but overall, the chokes produced similar results. With either choke, the 4B load had very few hits at this range.

Bottom line for me, I could shoot either load on those 20 yard-wide senderos that I hunt, but would need to limit the 4B loads to 35-40 yards or so.

I still need to try the HD-BB (and have some on order now) and look around for a good deal on more choke tubes!

Excellent work! It takes a lot of effort to make this stuff happen. I actually found happiness with a .670" constriction for the HD-BB's and it improved my patterns quite a bit. I couldn't get the same patterns from the T's of any make/material. With the HD-BB's at 25 yards I average 60 hits within the 12" circle. 40 yards gives me 35 hits in 12" and at 50 yards I am still averaging 18 - 20 pellet strikes. Amazing how a few thousands constriction can change things one way or another! Many guys will never believe how finicky a shotgun can be. Another thing, many will never believe how much difference 10 yards can make to a pattern. Again, great work and it is well worth the effort, congrat's on taking the time and expense to do this. It'll pay off in dead coyotes!

BTW, really nice shotgun too!
smile.gif

Again, really good work, I hope others appreciate the effort you put into this. If you don't mind I am going to add a link to this thread above in the "big sticky" at the top of the page. I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle.

Back