How accurate is your Cooper?

I don't know about those 2 calibers, but I have a cooper in 22br and it is very accurate with just about any load, and benchrest accurate with its favorite loads. It shoots very close to my 6ppc br rifle.
Barry

I have several Coopers
M38 Varminter in 221FB and it shoots real good.
M38 Montana Varminter in 221 FB that shoots even better.
M38 Montana Varminter in 20VT that is flat out scary accurate.
and yet another M38 Varminter in 17AH thats a flat out blast to shoot.

I wouldnt have a one of them if they didnt shoot.

I also have a couple other rat rifles but they are not Coopers.

You asked
Quote: If it's for p-dogging would you get 223 or 204?

I would say none of the above and heres why.

They burn too much powder and heat up barrels too fast. I can shoot twice as many rounds thru any of the 221 based cases as you can with a 223 or 204 before the barrels heat up. I would look seriously at the 17 Fireball, 20VT, 221FB because of the efficiency, all of which are fairly easy 300 yard rifles. All of which are chambered in the model 38. Efficiency is the key for volume pd shooting. You can get about 270 or so rounds out of a pound of powder in a 204, in a 20VT that same pound will give you around 410. 17FB would be about the same. No sense burning all that powder when a more efficient case kills them just as dead.

I own 4 Montanta Varminters (17 Rem, 20 Tac, 218 Mashburn Bee, and 223 Rem) and all 4 are extremely accurate. I'm the weak link when shooting them.

Of the bunch, the 20 Tac is best... I've never tried a load it didn't like. But that's the case with my Rem 700/PacNor custom in 20 Tac also.

-BCB

I've got two Coopers in .204 that I use on pd's. I shot for several years with a .223 and .22-250. They're not in the league with the .204 (my opinion). They can heat up, good reason for two rifles. But the .204 is surely not limited to 300 yd shots. Can't argue the efficiency, but the 20 VT looks pretty good too. I would like to try one, but we usually fly and are limited to two guns. Of your two choices listed, the .204 hands down.

I have a few Coopers, and i would listen to Furhunters advice here.....

High volume rat shooting needs a high volume gun....221 Fireball/20VT/17Fireball...etc.

I would choose the .223 over the .204, but that`s just me, don`t get me wrong i LOVE the 20`s....but the 204 was culled for another project.

PS......I love the 20`s so much i currently have 4 of them...20VT,20PPC,20Tac,20Dasher.

And 2 more being built.

I can get a 32gr bullet going 3700fps with a mild load in a 20VT. Thats nothing to scoff at when only burning 17gr of powder.

The 17FB rocks on pd's though, everyone needs a 17 anyways

I had a gorgeous Montana Varminter in 204, grip cap, fluted barrel, it was a peach. I got rid of it after putting 100 rounds thru it. Not that it wouldnt shoot, it would put 5 into .3~.4 but I didnt like the barrel heat issue it had. Seemed like 8 shots or so and it was time to put it down.

My Cooper .204 is my favorite colony varmint rifle. It's very accurate, has a good trigger and is the most consistent POI with various loads of any rifle I have ever shot. I would love to have one in 17 FB for the 250 yards and under shots but we like to stretch things out a bit. The .204 is certainly capable of that. I don't think you would be disappointed with a Cooper regardless of the caliber you choose. Good luck.

Quote: I would love to have one in 17 FB for the 250 yards and under shots but we like to stretch things out a bit.

17FB will lay them down further out than that!

You bring up a good point though. It really depends on the shooting thats available and what you like. I enjoy my shooting say from 100 to 300 yards and for the most part thats whats available around here. The few trips to wyoming has also produced similar ranges. Sure longer shots were there and we took some but hit percentages go way down, then I feel like I am wasting ammo! It may sound brutal but I go to kill. Thats what the ranchers let me on their property to do.

I bought a M38 Montana Varminter in .17 fireball late last year for my young son to use on prairie dogs. This little rifle will really shoot with 25 grain hornady v-max's. I really don't think you can go wrong with a cooper.

I too have several Coopers and all shoot well. Admittedly, some shoot better than others.

Like others have said previously, I think the smaller calibers make sense for most PD shooting. I shoot 17's (center fire), 19's and the small 20's for 80% of my PD shooting.

However, make no doubt about it, if the wind is blowing seriously and the ranges are getting long, the 20TAC, 204R and 220S come out. (BTW, all are Coopers)

All BS aside, the 204R is a pretty exciting caliber. But, as others have said, you have to watch barrel temps, as you do with all the big powder burners. In high volume shooting, unless you have three of them, you will be passing up shots waiting for the tube to cool down.

Making a decision between 223 and 204 is a tough call. Points can be made for both.

Before I go, let me share two photos that are relevant to my Cooper 204R.

1-4.jpg

It's a MTV, wood is AAA, barrel is fluted. I have not taken a photo with scope. It is a Lupe VX3 8.5-25X50 with varmint reticle.

PICT0426-2.jpg

Both are five shot groups @ 100 yds.. Load is W748 and 39gr. BK's.

TR, it is not for sale.

Just working up loads for the 223 Mod 21 Cooper, All 5 shot Groups @ 100yds. Headed to the Range this Morning to test out the New Cooper JVT Tripleduce, Results may come Later!

008-7-1.jpg

Back