Double out of 3 called....

Curt Barrett

Well my father in-law was complaining about all the coyotes running around. Been causing their usual late Aug mischief. After a week of hell at work it wasn't hard to talk me into going and killing something. It's Fair time this weekend and my wife reminded me to be home by 9 am as I was leaving cuz the parade started at 10. That didn't leave much time.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a light breeze blowing in a favorable direction along with some cooler temps and clouds. The place I was calling didn't have much cover so I was trying out the ghillie again. I set up right out in the wide open. Started with some howls then switched to some handcalling done with a Rhino call that I had recorded onto my Foxpro which was placed about 50 yards away.

Was about 5-6 minutes and I saw some ears coming over the crest of the hill. (top of the hill in line with my scope) Then I see another set of ears followed by yet another pair break over the hill. Three coyotes working their way down the hill. I stopped the caller and let them come. When they got closer they stopped at the top edge of the sagebrush patch on the side of the hill (also above the scope and slightly left) and were looking for the source of the sound. I lowered the volume to it's lowest setting and let it play for about 5 seconds. They started coming again. Never did they give any indication of seeing me.

Then they came all the way down the hill and into the bushes at the bottom. Out of sight. Didn't know where they would come out at. I was watching both sides of the brush waiting for them to emerge. Finally after a few minutes I see them again a little closer and back on the side of the hill. They looked close enough to shoot now. Put the crosshairs on the largest and sent the Sierra 55 gr. HP her way. Whop! The others bolted. I gave a loud howl with my voice and one stopped to look back. Another whop! Tried a shot at the 3rd coyote who had by now grabbed a second gear and shot just under it.

Oh well. 2 out of 3. One was an adult female. And the other a male YOY.

Was getting close to 8 am by then so no time for more than one stand. Here's some pics. Ugly summer dogs but you do what you have to do to keep your hunting spots. Have several other landowners wanting a visit soon. Rain is pouring down today.

Shot.....

shot8-21-04.jpg

Coyotes.....

coyotesmomandjunior.jpg

Rich H, if you see this, could you give an age estimate on the adult from the teeth wear?

Teeth....

coyoteteeth1.jpg

coyoteteeth2.jpg

Curt, You need to host your pics on photobucket.com or ome other place. Imagestation doesn't allow linking anymore.

Sorry about that. I'll find another host. Usually use hunt101 but they are down for upgrades for awhile. Photobucket doesn't allow registering till 10 am so I'll get it fixed soon. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, think I got it fixed. Sorry about how big the pics are. I'll size them smaller next time. Hunt.101 image hosting adjusted the size for you but the place I just registered doesn't I guess. My bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UGLY!!!! You got that right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We wouldn't allow anything that ugly to run around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I see you don't either.

How far from the muzzle to the crest of the top of the coulee immediately in front of you?

I can't get over how ugly those dogs are. Are you sure you weren't using a WT to call something that ugly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Great pics and story as usual. Thanks!

Thanks fellas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah Brad, she could have used a good dental plan. Curious of how her teeth suffered so much wear.

guess, I know how you feel bud. Can't wait for fall. It's coming soon though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redfrog, you caught me. Krusty let me borrow that WT he had given to him. LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Those are the ugliest dogs ever aren't they? Actually that one from the first use of the ghillie a month or so ago was even worse believe it or not. They are always bad this time of year but they seem worse than usual this year for some reason. Must be where the term "coyote ugly" comes from. ha ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I didn't have my rangefinder handy but pacing it off and compensating for the hill I figure it was a couple hundred yards to where they were shot. The very top of the coulee is quite a bit farther than where they were actually shot. They were standing where that trail coming down the hill goes across the top of the sage patch on the side of the hill, about 3/4 of the way up. About where the trail bends to go downhill.

Good hunting

Sorry Curt, I just started taking my 'Merican language studies 101 at night school. I just knew you would think I meant that hill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll try again. How far to the trees in front of the gun? it looks like it is quite close.

Nice work Curt. As always, I enjoy your pics and story to go along with it. Your over the scope pics are great for showing how the coyotes approached and where the kill shots were taken. Makes a guy feel as if he was there.

Redfrog, I just ranged that brush and it is 78 yards from where Curt shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks like I might need a language skills refresher. ha ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You are right, the trees were pretty close. 50-60 paces maybe. There is a small spring that runs through the bottom of the stretch of trees.

Thanks Lonny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Speaking of rangefinders, I need to start bringing mine. Keep forgetting.

Take care, Curt

Thanks Lonny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's one awesome rangefinder ya got there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Curt,I figured it was close. I asked because I call some similar looking areas around here. Now I don't really know what was on either side of you or behind you, but I've found in a set up like this, the buggers pop up out of the bottom right in front of me. :eek: :eek: Course then I scream like a little girl and spray and pray, never killing a thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I usually set up 200 yds back from the rim, then it gives me a few seconds to assess the situation as the coyote takes a few seconds to assess the situation.

Of course a lot of other things come into the mix, wind, sun, terrain, hiding the vehicle etc.etc. and I don't have all that info. Obviously I ain't trying to give you a lesson in coyote hunting,you sure don't need my help. It's just another perspective. If I set up on the edge, I get busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and if I set up too close, I get scared, :eek: so I set up a few hundred yards back and I manage to get a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hear what your saying Redfrog. It was too close for my tastes as well. Setting up farther back would have been preferred but much to my dismay wasn't an option. It kind of drops off behind where I was set up and I didn't have a view. To the left of the trees it was a wide open hillside where a forked canyon comes down. That was where I kind of expected them to come from. Either that or on the right where they did come. I totally agree with you. The best way to set up on something like that would be with a bit more breathing room. LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I really didn't expect the first stand to pan out to be honest. It is quite close to the farm road that has seen a lot of traffic recently. I was going to make a quick stand an head up the canyon to make another one. The second stand was the one I thought would be productive. Pleasantly surprised to not have to make the hike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take care, Curt

Back