Ruger Redhawk .44 mag barrel length?

easy_money

What do you suggest?

I'm going to buy a revolver to carry with me backpacking in the mountains? I already carry pepper spay.

The weight doesn't change a whole lot with added barrel length, but does the longer barrel make the guns noticeably easier too shoot or not.

Yes, I'm a whimp, but recoil and muzzle flash make these guns hard to shoot well and I need your advice.

I plan on reloading for it and shooting .44 special and mild loads to learn how to handle it.

What barrel length would you suggest I get for a gun to carry while hiking?

Thanks

Well, I have shot .44 Mags with barrels from 2 1/2" to over a foot and for what you are talking about I would think that a 4 inch to 6 inch would be just fine. I actually like a 5" myself but unless you have someone cut you a longer one down those are hard to find. Use a good heavy (300 grain or so) bullet for the serious stuff and a nice .44 Special for practice and you should do fine.

If you REALLY think you might have to deal with an angry bear I would much rather have me a Remington 870 with slugs and triple ought buck, but that just me.

I've got the Super Redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. Think it's 7 1/2", the shorter of the two nonetheless. The recoil really isn't that bad, more of a slow rise than a quick snappy jerk. It's got a 2x Leupold on it.

You will probably shoot better with a longer barrel. If you carry it in a belt holster it may tip you over when you sit down though. For carrying, a shorter barrel will be better. I personaly carry a Ruger Super blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel as my woods gun. I carry it in a Mernickel PS6 concealment holster. It holds the gun high and tight to the body. Key

The shorter barrel is much easier to carry and handle, I find I shoot the short barrels better than the longer ones. The most effective handgun is the one you have with you at the time so ease of carry is important.I have used both and I like the five and a half inch barrel the best, the redhawk is heavy enough to make it easy to shoot. I would put a set of Hogue grips on it were it me.

I have a 7.5 inch Super Redhawk I'm selling, if you have any interest.

The SRH grips do a good job of taming recoil. I have a moderate 200 gr JHP load I use for fun and that i think would do well on deer. I also have a heavy load using a 300 gr Hornady XTP, which is intended for elk & bear. That kicks more but in this gun is still not punishing.

For a trail gun to use while back packing (I've carried this one in just that manner while bear hunting in AZ) you can leave the longer barrel on it, or you may prefer to have it cut down.

I have had several. I carry a 5 inch for a fishing gun. I would go with a
4 inch if that is all I used it for. I also have a 9 1/2 that I ended up scoping
so a five inch would have been preferable there also. The length gives a
little more in fps but not enough to make up for the awkwardness of it.
Great at the range, sucks for me everywhere else.

"Backpacking and mountains", in a Redhawk I would go with at least the five inch barrel, I carry a .45 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 and never notice it on my side.

Gilbert

I owned a 6" model 29 till some crack head robbed my house.

I like the 6" for all around use. Its a slight compromise cuz its long to carry but it helps me when shooting.

In the ruger I would maybe consider the 4" because the ruger is a big heavy tank.

Whatever you get I suggest a chest rig for such a heavy gun.

Check out simplyrugged.com
Then look for the chesty puller. You can get one holster that can carry on a belt, inside the waisteband, shoulder rig, or chest. Much easier to carry a gun thats not pulling your pants off.

If your going to carry the gun look at the smiths they have lots of models that weigh less.

I myself am going with a 10mm glock for woods carry partialy because its so lightweight. No grizzley bears around here. I shot a semi much better. Night sights and a flashlight on the gun will be real handy in camp at night, thats when I expect to have bear problems. I hope to graduate to a 44mag but I just don't have teh skills to handle one.

Last edited:
I have a redhawk in 7.5 inch and love it for hunting. I have killed several deer and bears with this gun over the years. It is my go to gun for pistol hunting. That said when I bow hunt or backpack I have a taurus tracker titanium that I carry in 357 with a 4 inch barrel. It holds 7 rounds and the bullets weigh more than the gun. This gun is so light I never even notice it. Carring the redhawk I am pulling up my pants constantly from the weight. I usually pack it in a shoulder holster becauser of this. But that adds more weight on your shoulders when backpacking. The taurus is easy to carry but no fun to shoot. That 4 inch ported barrel is so loud it will physically hurt your ears and cause permanant hearing loss if shot without hearing protection. So i would only shoot it in a life or death situation. But it is light enough it does get carried instead of left at home.

drscott

I have a .44 mag Super Blackhawk 5 1/2 inch. I carry it in a chest holster, which makes it easy to get to quickly, and the barrel isn't so long its hard to get out of the holster. With the chest holster, I can walk all day and without it bothering me in the least.

I was shooting my buddies 10 inch .44 mag Super blackhawk along with mine a couple weekends ago, and really didnt notice and difference in "aim" or accuracy between the two.

I also didn't notice a weight difference between them either. I'm not saying they weigh the same because I can't imagine they do, but I couldn't feel a noticeable difference holding one in each hand.

That is some great information!
You guys have got some great insight and ideas that only experience can provide.
Sounds like the 4 to 5" barrel is the way to go.
I may have to ponder the lighter weight gun idea, I'm the kinda guy who will leave my e-caller home cause it weighs too much.

If you are going to carry a lot and shoot a little, the shorter 4"-6" barrels are just easier. If you are going to "hunt" the longer 7 1/2"-9 1/2" barrels offer longer sighting planes and better balance if scoped.

I have a 7 1/2" RH with open sights and a 9 1/2" SRH with a scope. I like them both, but if I had to carry one a lot, I would cut down the RH to about 4" or 5", just to cut the weight a little.

Fast Ed

The 4" model Redhawks are all over the place used, so you should be able to get one at a good price. The 4" barrel packs great and the Ruger is built like a tank. In bear country you can load up some mighty mean rounds. I don't think the recoil will be an issue if a bear is running you down.

My SBH has a 7 1/2" barrel. I have shot shorter bbl 44's and they have much more muzzle jump or flip than mine does. I love mine. I couldn't figure out from your post if you had shot a 44 before or not. If not, I'd shoot one before I bought one. I've had 3 different guys shoot mine once, and refuse to shoot it again. Two of them were in their 60's, so that I could understand. One is a 40 year old big ol boy and he cussed when he shot it. One word of advice I will offer, if this is your first six gun larger than a 357, as mine was, then I'd get 4 or 5 boxes of white box Winchester to run through it before you plan on defending yourself against a bear or cat. I was a pretty good shot with a six gun before I bought my 44. Not being use to the recoil, my accuracy degraded quickly. After around 150 rounds I got use to the recoil and my accuracy started getting better. After another 100 rounds my accuracy is now better than it was before the 44. I don't think shooting 44 special loads will help you get ready for the magnum recoil, unless you work upwards in small increments. That's gonna take a long time. It will however help you learn the revolver. When I bought mine I told a buddy that anyone who would own a revolver chambered in anything over a 44 mag was crazy, but now I love the feeling of the recoil and would like to try more.

In the field I carry a SBH 4.5" barrel, loaded with 44sp 240g swc on the warm side. If I were to be in bear country I would carry my RH 5.5" loaded with 44mag 250 and up swc. I carry the SBH in a "Doc Holiday" cross draw rig. The RH is carried in a shoulder rig in cold weather, strong side high rise other times.
The more you shoot a 44 mag the more you become accustom to it, in no time you will be shooting full house loads after some practice, or have it ported.
Jim

The longer sight radius of the 7.5" is nice, and easier to shoot longer distances with. It obviously is not as much of a joy to pack........

I really like my Taurus Tracker. It is a medium frame, so only 5 shots. Not overly heavy. Mine shoots really nice. I easily hit soda cans at 35 yds. The fit and finish isn't the prettiest, but she shoots straight!

I put my holster on the pack waist strap. Takes all the weight and you don't notice the extra. I shoot some 250 gr hard case flat nose bullets.

If I was in the market for another 44, i would lean to the SRH area. My Taurus is great but the Ruger is in a league of its own.

I prefer single actions to double actions. I prefer the 45 Colt to the 44 mag. I prefer the Bisley Blackhawk to all other factory revolvers.......

100_0294.jpg

100_0298.jpg

100_0317.jpg

Mine has been slicked up a bit:

Wolff springs
polished hammer/sear
Belt Mountain Keith style base pin
Klamath River Woodworks grafted pistacchio grips
One Ragged Hole sights

Back