IF YOU HAD A CHOICE FAIRBANKS OR ANCHORAGE

TiredSoldier

If you had a choice and you were being paid to move there would you go to Fairbanks Alaska or Anchorage Alaska. Both have good fishing and hunting just cant decide.

Last edited:
weather.com.!
thats how i'd pick. look at the averages and seasons and work you hunting/fishing plans accordingly. which would you get more time (weather wise)?
just an idea as both places are utterly awesome.

I know 2 people who have lived in each city. Based on what i have heard from them(take it or leave it), i would pick Fairbanks. Less crime for one and nicer people for 2. Anchorage has a pretty big gang problem right now. Many violent crimes. Good luck wherever you end up, should be some awesome hunting and fishing.

They both have great hunting and fishing fairbanks has less people but does get colder such a dilema have to decide in the next few days leaning towards fairbanks although the salmon fishing is better in anchorage from what i here.

Simple, move to Fairbanks and visit Los Anchorage during salmon season. Problem solved.
smile.gif

I work in Alaska and live in New Mexico I work a rotation 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. I have spent time in both cities I would probably choose fairbanks, but I feel sorry for you having to move from Colorado to Alaska.
Mike

Do you like negative 50 degree temps for extended periods? Do you like a much higher cost of living, food, gas, heating oil, real estate? IF yes, then move to FB. I live 10 miles from Anchorage and like it here a l00% better than FB. Send me a PM if you want to talk more about it. Send me your number and I will even give you a call to talk about it. Thats how strongly I feel about it.

Not so much worried about the higher cost of living. I will get a cost of living allowance. Just looking for the best hunting and good fishing.

Been a long time since I have been there but from what I have heard Anchorage has gone badly downhill since I was there. Population is pushing a quarter million and the city is surround on the land side by Federal land, nowhere to go but straight up. Almost all those people hunt and fish (ever hear of combat fishing?).
Fairbanks gets the cold weather. Parts of the winter you will be running your vehicle 24/7 to keep it from freezing up. If that happens good luck at getting the thing running for a while.

We visit AK often and we would take up residence anywhere in AK but Anchorage. It is no different than any other city in the lower 48 with a similar size. Fairbanks is a better representative of the Alaska culture and people. The only downside that I see is in the winter the daylight is short, so if your a moody person !!! Check out the adjoining communities for both cities.
Jim

I liked Fairbanks better. The people seemed more friendly for the most part, and it had all I'd need and more.

Lots of good hunting from there, just about any direction you go.

Anchorage is bigger, with more places to buy outdoor gear, and for the wife to go shopping, but there's still plenty in Fairbanks.

If you're into salt water fishing, then Anchorage would be the obvious choice. It's rivers and lakes around Fairbanks, but plenty of them.

In truth, I'd try to choose North Pole. It's close enough to Fairbanks to almost be considered a part of it, but a little more rural.

Tired Soldier if you would like to actually talk to someone and ask questions of someone that currently lives in Alaska then PM me your number and I would be more than happy to give you a call, talk as long as you like and answer any questions I can.

Back