Called another Cougar, no shot... yesterday's Lion Hunt...

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
I'm going to try to take you guys along here, as best I can.

I called in another Cougar yesterday.

This is Spring Alpine in Washington state, about 4000 feet average. It's been a DISMAL snow year this year, with no real Winter snow since Christmas. Did you see the Olympic Games? That's about 3-4 hours from me, same Coastal Mountains. Most of that snow was trucked in from Bamff!

We've gotten 2, maybe 3 high snows in the past 10 days. As you'll see, they've pretty much melted right back to about 5000 ft. There's not much snowpack in the Mountains this year.

I went with a friend who has a Cougar tag, in hopes of getting another one on Video. We picked a ridgeline and decided to pound it all day.

IMG_0256.jpg

Our first stand we came close. Here's the stand...

318callinStand1.jpg

We climbed up the ridge about 600 yards above the FS road. Decent visibility for this area. Good sign. We found this scratch just before the bench we set-up on...

cougarscratch1.jpg

Mound is on the left, the claw marks are on the right. You can see two distinct ruts.

cougarscratch2.jpg

The same scratch, only from behind the mound, with the claw ruts out past.

We set up and called for about 40 minutes (a few minutes of prey, then a sequence of RS Cougar vocals with an intermittent prey scream here and there) when we both heard a distinct SubAdult whistle from up and left. We continued to call on it until about 70 minutes. Nothing showed.

I allow the tiny, tiny, tiny possibility to remain in my mind that it wasn't a Cougar because it's so warm already that the Northern Flickers have moved back in. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Flicker. We didn't hear any of them before or after. (On the third stand, we actually heard a Flicker, similar sound, but it was obviously a bird. Chirpy, and over and over again. This wasn't birdy like that, and it was a single whistle.)

My hunting partner is also a very experienced Cougar caller, he and I were both convinced it was a cat, so we decided to stalk that direction and see what we could find.

IMG_0259.jpg

Here's what we came to about 200 yards around the ridge...

318callinstand2.jpg

Steep I mean wall-like steep, cliffs, rocks, scrub, from our side there was a real good game trail every 75 yards or so, funnelling into this south facing ridge.

We decided to sit right there and do a quick stand, hoping to make it show itself, or at least call back.

Here's where I messed up...

I turned on the minaska remote, pressed " bank - 0 - 2 " to start RS Cougar Up, then started bumping the volume up listening for it to get louder and louder, starting from minimum. What I didn't realize was that "2" didn't take, I didn't push it clean. And I was jacking up the volume with the sound paused. I realized I'd short stroked the "2" so I hit it again...

A happy, excited Cougar vocal went blasting up the mountianside at full volume!

A nanosecond later something BOLTED from about 100 yards above and left of us. Rocks came tumbling down. We were totally busted! We wasted the next 15 minutes trying to call it back, but I'm sure it was scared out of the country!

Here's a handheld video clip after we gave up and before we headed down...

We went down two ridges and tried it again. Ended up doing 5 stands. Nothing doing. Found some interesting stuff and took a couple pics....

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0255.jpg

Another scenic along the ridge we were working. The cliff above goes for a couple miles and works as a funnel for moving game. A high percentage cold calling area.

IMG_0258.jpg

Heading back down from stand #2.

IMG_0262.jpg

The drainage. We were working about 5 miles of the West side, east facing slope.

IMG_0265.jpg

A swamp bottom we called at the end of the day on the way back to civilization. (Squirrels & Birds.)

bobcatmark.jpg

Bobcat territorial marking dookie!

turdshapeddeerhair.jpg

Ever heard me talking about "turd shaped deer hair?" This is it! Cougar scat between stand 3 and stand 4.

Overall, a very good day to be in the mountains! Bright glaring sunshine, but still cool air, probably high 30's.

A good day, especially getting that close to one in a cold calling situation.

My hunting partner and I determined that there's a pretty good chance we called a young cat who was in the midst of getting pushed around and relocated by older and bigger cats. If that was the case, it stands to reason that it was very timid and skittish. Wanted to come in (called to us) but was too intimidated to get all the way in.

Very cool! One of the better stories I've read. Illustrates well that not every successful hunt needs to end with a kill.

Last edited:
Maybe you guys will get a crack at the Tom that pushes those youngsters around next time. That's the way to do it ---Location & Sign.

Thats a cool story Steve, and great photos. Felt like I was on the hunt with you. Too bad about the e-caller mishap, **it happens though!

We don't have country like that here in Iowa, thats for sure. Beautiful!!!

Brian

Hope you guys enjoy. My meat hunter partner kept saying, "You sure are being a tourist today!"

Cat, last year he and I were on the same situation further down the same ridge. He and his Dad (okanagan) ended up getting the bully! (He had fresh fighting cuts.) 2 days later I was on the pipsqueak a mile or so away, but I jumped it before I called for it, so it didn't want to play!

Can't believe how little I've gotten out this year, Weston! Was hoping for once per week, even for Bobs. But the Weather has been so warm, Can count this years outings on 1.5 hands!

Steve,

Great story and awesome views of the land you're calling. I hope we can get together someday for a few days of cat calling.

I've been talking to hunters all weekend, and the story is the same - everyone has cut back on thier days in the field for one reason or another. Most guys just don't have the extra money right now.

It sounds like you're making the most out of the few days you've had - keep it up.

Mark Healy

Quote:I've been all over Western North America, it's really hard to beat the scenery here.

You ever been over in the Selway/Bitteroots or the Frank Church wilderness area in Idaho? There are a lot of cats, not so sure how easy it would be to get on them, though.

That area you're hunting looks like it might actually produce more, without falling down a 1500 ft rock cliff.
grin.gif

Here's the bridge we usually used to go in on. Foot traffic only (no vehicles allowed in the wilderness area).

Stoddard Pack Bridge

Last edited:
Rainshadow1...great story and great pics. As you were describing your hunt I felt like I was there. Really makes me want to get out in the hills, but still a little too much snow for access around here. Thanks for posting.

Evil Lurker...Ive been across the Stoddard bridge a few times myself. It sits in my back yard. Like you say, wonderful wild wilderness and there's not much tougher country than the lower Middle Fk. Canyon.

Silvertp

Back