Anyone ever sent their rifle to Mag-Na-Port?

EasternNChunter

www.magnaport.com

I am thinking about sending my Remington Sendero II (300 win mag) to have the brake put on it. It kicks like a mule on steroids with the new loads I am shooting. I just got the rifle back from being "Tuned Up" and bedded.

There is no break "put on" at Magnaport, they EDM cut slots in the barrel for a downward push as the gas exits. Makes the gun louder but works.

I sent my Ruger 77 in 300 win mag to have it Magnaported about 22 years ago. It does work very well. I haven't run it through a crono to see velocity loss compared to my wifes gun but the animals I shoot with it can't tell the difference. It also didn't make any difference in accuracy. The gun will shoot half inch groups with Nosler Partitions before and after. Everyone says it makes the gun louder but I haven't noticed it any louder than any other gun. Last year I shot a hog from inside a blind with it and while my adrenalin blocked the sound, my guides ears rang for a few hours. Key

I don't know anything about their rifle work but they did pigeon porting on my Wheatherby O/U Sporting Clays gun and the work was very high quality.

I've sent many to have them done there. the 4 port system is real nice, and i like better than the mag-na-brake. the brake is threaded and installed on the barrel and the ports go all the way around as like most other brakes. the biggest differance is the gasses on the 4 port go up and back, and not all the way around. I'm just not real crazy about a brake clearing the bench of every little particle and sending it back at me. lol
To me pulling the barrel down and forward makes more sense. they do work very well. Kenny has always taken good care to do a great job on every gun i have sent them. i think you will like it.
just my 2 cents, but hey.. right?
lol

Ive been throwing that idea around for my 7 mag. Make it easier for my wife to shoot. I think I like the 'port' idea ove a full blown brake.

MANY years ago, I had my Ruger No.1 in .458 Win Mag Magnaported. Mine has the classic two trapezoidal cuts on either side of the front sight. I can't say that I noticed much of a decrease in perceived recoil. Since it's effect if any, was minimal, I was sorry to have "defaced" a classically handsome gun.

I agree that there are vastly superior brakes out there, I suggest trying something other than Magnaport. Don

Last edited:
Had a shotgun and a pistol done. Noticed the effect on the pistol more than the shotgun. They did very good metal work. Looks like it came from the factory already done.

It was proven long time ago that cutting slots in a rifle barrel reduces accuracy, and the slots in the barrel does not reduce recoil anynear as much as a Muzzle break.

I put a Vias muzzle break on my 257 Weatherby with zero freebore and see the water vapor fly off the deer's hide as the bullet impacts...does not get any better than that!

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIt was proven long time ago that cutting slots in a rifle barrel reduces accuracy, and the slots in the barrel does not reduce recoil anynear as much as a Muzzle break.

I put a Vias muzzle break on my 257 Weatherby with zero freebore and see the water vapor fly off the deer's hide as the bullet impacts...does not get any better than that!

would be really interested in where you got your info... I normally shy away from dis-agreements, but this one definately needs proven. i very-much-so beg to differ ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

My dad and I have family in Michigan. He went out there last year and dropped off three rifles. Two senderos and one custom rifle. When he dropped them off all but one had the sopes on. I took mine off he didnt. We didnt have them ported but had the Mag-na-brake installed. Very good job, very good people to deal with. With any break or porting it is going to be louder. We took the rifles out and shot them as soon as possible. The accuracy did not suffer but seemed to be better. I am not saying it made the rifles more accurate, but with the tamed recoil on the ultra mags we shot better. He is now leaving in the next week and will be dropping off two more rifles to have them done while he is there.

Originally Posted By: va_kenThere is no break "put on" at Magnaport, they EDM cut slots in the barrel for a downward push as the gas exits. Makes the gun louder but works.

May want to look at there web site. It is called the Mag-na- brake.

I just had a 3 port Muscle brake installed on my 338 Ultra Mag. After all the reading I have done, this seems to be the best one and it won't throw up dirt if you are shooting close to the ground cause it has no holes on the bottom.
http://centershotrifles.com/sales/
Tell Jim that Tarey sent you.
Tarey

Originally Posted By: GNERGYI just had a 3 port Muscle brake installed on my 338 Ultra Mag. After all the reading I have done, this seems to be the best one and it won't throw up dirt if you are shooting close to the ground cause it has no holes on the bottom.
http://centershotrifles.com/sales/
Tell Jim that Tarey sent you.
Tarey

Those look pretty neat.

Thanks guys! The only thing that I don't like too much about these is that they all seem to be threaded onto the end of the barrel instead of drilling the holes into the end of the barrel. Thoughts?

Back