.224 bullet LEAST likely to ricochet on water

Almost any "varmint" bullet will blow up on impact with the water. I had some 55 BT's blow up when hitting snow! If it tumbles at all, which it will, or goes unbalanced, which it will, it will destroy itself. This won't happen with rimfire bullets or "deer" bullets. They will skip and ricochet. The lighter, faster and more delicate bullet, the more of a chance you have of it destroying itself once it hits the water. Blitzkings, TNT, VG, V-max, are all good. BT's are not as delicate, but my personal experience is that they won't stand the impact either.

Fast Ed

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
Most problems with shooting at water stems from the angle from which you are shooting... Anything less than 40 degrees and you are inviting quite a long distance ricochet]

I have to agree here. I found this out as a kid after putting a few into a coupla cottages.........grins

I like the idea of some hevi-shot and an extra full choke.......

Just speculation but I wouldn't even try a rifle. I'd use a shotgun and from the highest angle I could get it to. Also use a fairly fine (small) shot. Might be wrong but I do think it would work better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deerhunterjjThis sounds like a really good application for the 17HMR with the 17gr v-max bullet. very accurate and will do just nicely. If you just got to use a rifle I would have to go with deerhunter on this...other wise I would use the shotgun handload with 1ead 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot with a full turkey choke.

a .22lr or .22mag or .17 would work well. sounds like ur wanting to be safe if i was going to use a centerfire rilfe just make sure its a safe shot

Fast Ed, there are is a 33g Speer TNT bullet for sale on gun broker at 90$ per thousand delivered.

Go to gunbroker, click on reloading, then delete the * in the search box, then type in Speer...you will find them.

These bullets should be perfect for your application.

Good luck!

I would set em up and kill em after dark,,,set ya up a sheet of tin or sheet metal,,on a couple 2x2s near the thick stuff,,and in the sun,,at night they will get under it for the warmth,,,take a long pole and a shotgun,FLIP THE METAL , waste them while the are slow moving,,around midnight.............X

Back